The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 15, 2001, 11:29 PM   #1
bullfrog99

automatics for deer?

have anyone of you used an automatic pistol(less than 50 oz, magnum research dont' count) to take deer sized game? if so what caliber, 10mm, 45acp, etc.
Old October 16, 2001, 01:33 AM   #2
1911A1 fan

Bullfrog99,IMHO I would think that any 10mm loaded to .357 levels would be fine for deer if you are willing to keep it to about 35 yards or so, but then again the Win. Silver Tip is said to give .41 mag. level power but that is just what I hear, not being a 10 mm fan. If I were you I would go with a .41 mag or better,and if you hand load .45 colt in a Ruger. I my self use a Ruger Bisley .44 mag. with 180 gr XTP it sure puts a hurt on em
Old October 16, 2001, 06:55 AM   #3
PRIDEFANS

Me ol' Glock 22 is pretty effective, especially in the thick swamp-lands of SC.
Old October 16, 2001, 07:09 AM   #4
Raider

Took a four pointer with my lightweight 45acp Commander last year. The gun was cocked and locked and I could get to it faster than my rifle. Distance was 32 paces.

Raider
Old October 16, 2001, 10:58 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

As usual, the key is skill level and distance.

My uncle didn't like horses; he checked his cows from a WW II Harley Signal Corps motorcycle. He carried a 1911 in a holster on the handlebar. The deer on the place were used to the motorcycle, and he collected a couple. According to him, maybe 15 yards or so.

Skill level? Well, I've seen him spin clothespins with a .25 Lilliput auto.

Art
Old October 16, 2001, 02:29 PM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Four Whitetails with .45 Auto - - -

- - - I think. There were several years when I'd take two doe per season with handgun. And one additional with a S&W M-25 revolver, with .45 ACP ammo. All were one-shot stops, with hollow points--one the 190 gr. Super Vel, two Sierra 185 JHC, and can't recall the other two. With the old Colt Natl. Match, one was at about 25 yards, and three at six to fifteen yards. The one with the 6.5 inch S&W was at about 35 yards.

I wouldn't hesitate to use an accurate .45 auto at up to 20 yards, even with my current eyesight, so long as I had a decent rest. I just feel enough respect for the game animals to want clean kills.

I personally know guys who have killed deer with 230 FMJ and HP loads and with 200 LSWC. One friend has taken a couple with the 9 mm BHP, loaded VERY HOT, but he says this was more on the order of showing it could be done, and doesn't care to repeat.

I have no hunting experience with 10mm. I think choice of bullets would be crucial, more so than with .41 Mag.

My own experience shows that I don't want to shoot any more deer with a .357 revolver, so I have no wish to use a Super .38 or 9 mm. I'd probably use my BHP in .40, with proper loads. All in all, I prefer .44 Mag, .44 Spec, or .45 Colt for game animals.

Varmints are, perhaps, a different matter.

Best,
Johnny