The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 14, 2013, 04:01 PM   #1
stu925

CMP Garand Range Report

Finally got a chance to get to the gun club with my newest purchase. I got my Winchester built M1 Garand 2 weeks ago and have been itching to get it out to the range ever since. Well the rain finally stopped for a while today so I got out there for a bit. Didn't put a lot of rounds through it, 27 in total but that's enough for me to feel it out. Started out at 25yds since I had no idea where it was going to be hitting, put 3 rounds down range and it was dead center so I decided to push the target out to 100yds. I fired 8 rounds off the bench to get it zeroed in then another 8 standing unsupported and 8 more sitting. All in all I'm pretty happy with the way this rifle shoots especially considering it's surplus ammo, once I start working up handloads those groups should shrink dramatically. I had a great time with the rifle and had the range not been so busy I probably would have shot up all 200rds of M2 ball that I bought with the rifle. My only issue is that the reproduction enbloc clips I bought with the rifle don't clear the action when ejected, not sure if this a rifle or clip issue so I need to research that a bit.

Those shots in the 7 & 8 rings were fired off hand, need to get used to the weight of this rifle I guess and come down to rest more when shooting off hand.

Stu
Old June 14, 2013, 08:52 PM   #2
smee78

Glad you are enjoying your new purchase, I to am a member of the CMP Garand club and it really is an awsome piece of history. It always gets looks when we go out to the range.
Old June 14, 2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Lprmcnit

M1

An M1 is never a mistake. I have three of them. I'm suprised about your problem with the en- bloc Clips. Ive only shot the Greek ammo which comes in clips, so i guess i don't know how others would work.
Old June 14, 2013, 11:16 PM   #4
mehavey

If the [enbloc] clip fails to eject then the problem is normally found in one of the three causes listed below.

1. Clip Ejector Weak or broken.
2. Distorted Clip
3. Deformed or Broken Operating Rod Catch

See
http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-clip-problems
Old June 15, 2013, 12:50 AM   #5
JR_Roosa

Quote:
My only issue is that the reproduction enbloc clips I bought with the rifle don't clear the action when ejected, not sure if this a rifle or clip issue so I need to research that a bit.
Track down some USGI clips and see if they work.

If the parkerizing is really rough, you can run a bunch of them in your brass polisher for a while.

I also put a little grease in the channel in the receiver where they insert when I clean and lube the rifle.

If that doesn't help, contact the CMP customer service e-mail and they will probably just send you a new spring. It's a bit of a challenge to take down and re-assemble the trigger group, but it's doable with no special tools and some patience.

-J.
Old June 15, 2013, 08:25 AM   #6
FMJ1911

Nice....as always, make sure everything is well lubed.

I've found lubing the clips wear they contact any part of the mag well really helps.