The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 10, 2000, 09:30 PM   #1
CrociJA

Every weekend when I'm not at the range I practice doing my gun-kata's at home. Drawing from concealment, tactical reloads, and practicing my form in a variety of shooting positions with my Glock-21.
I've done this ~6K times, and I've found that in the beginning (right after LFI-I) that my mag's would drop free and clear of my Glock-21. Now however I'm finding that my mag's don't drop clear and free anymore. They do with my Glock-30. However when I take my formerly drop-free mag's and put them in the Glock-30 they "stick" as well. A quick "jerk" with the muzzle pointed downrange and my finger off the trigger usually gets the mag out.
What could be causing this? The polymer is binding? Thought a break-in like this would make the mag's slide out more easily with time?

Thanks,

BTW anyone try www.sentrysolutions.com, they have a cool product called Tuf-Cote. It's a dry lubricant that "many" swear by...
Old September 10, 2000, 09:36 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

CrociJA, I've been a gunsmith for going on 25 years and until this past week I had never heard the term drop-free. Except for cheaper handguns with the catch at the bottom I though they all were supposed to fall out freely when the mag catch was disengaged. Glocks evidently are different. I don't know what the cut-off is but they changed the way they make the newer magazines. Maybe someone more familiar with Glocks will explain it. I've never owned one. George
Old September 10, 2000, 10:08 PM   #3
Badger Arms

Look at the magazine top from the rear of the magazine. A round notch is non-Drop-Free, a Square notch is Drop Free. The term denotes how wide the magazine is and how tightly it fits in the Glock. IMHO, Magazines that stick in the gun can kill the user. The Browning HP has the same problem if the Magazine Safety is not removed.
Old September 11, 2000, 06:53 AM   #4
STEVE M

Gaston Glock designed the original magazines for a military pistol. The non-drop free mags fit the concept of a tactical reload which is more in line with European army's doctrine. When they started selling in droves to U.S. speed shooters he redesigned them (with a metal insert to keeep them from swelling when full) so they would work for speed reloads. As to why one would start to stick when it was originally drop free I'm not sure. It may be a burr somewhere.

[This message has been edited by STEVE M (edited September 11, 2000).]
Old September 11, 2000, 07:58 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Croc, sorry. I had a question about the difference in the two types of mags on my website the other day and when I started reading your post I thought you were asking the same question. Steve is right. Look for scratches or rub marks on the mag. That may give you a clue as to where to look in the well for the obsturction. George
Old September 11, 2000, 01:39 PM   #6
CrociJA

Thanks for the info all, I do have to agree with you badger, a magazine that sticks can cost precious seconds.
As for binding, tried it with some other magazines so that must be it. BTW notch is square. As for burrs, can't see any difference between the mags that drop and those that don't. All the points where the magazine fits into the well, and especially where it fits into the gap where the magazine release locks into place looks fine.
I guess that's the disadvantage with polymer vs. metal. I'm sure any burrs on a metal magazine would become self-evident.

Thanks to all who replied.
Old September 13, 2000, 01:38 AM   #7
Cheapo

Ever notice that grey-black gunk that can build up on the backside of a hard plastic steering wheel? Hand oils/body gunk!

You may have just enough film build-up to screw up the slipply-slide effect needed to drop those danged lightweight mags.

Or, you may be storing the Glock in a sponge-lined hard case that's compressing the grip in the magwell area...?...

I suggest first, clean off both the mag bodies and the inside of your mag well with alcohol (don't smoke during this operation--remember Richard Pryor quit being funny for a few years after lighting up a faceful of alcohol). If that helps any, then slick the system up with a light coating of Armor-All or some other plastic lube stuff.

Second, after trying #1 above, just start examining the setup for tight spots. With the top end off of the frame, insert the mag, hold the frame up to the light peek into the mag well to see if there are any tight spots.

You may do well to study *where* the mag is when it hangs up. If it is always free after going down about 1-1/2 inches or so, you may have a problem with your mag release button having a booger of some sort.

HTH!