The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2005, 02:24 PM   #1
tjhands

How many different loads do you make for each gun?

It seems that I'm getting into a rut as far as the loads I'm making. Not a "boring" rut, but now that I've found what each of my guns likes best, I'm just making that same load. I have no desire to try different powders, bullet sizes, etc.

Is this how y'all do it, too? Or do you try other ingredients even after you've found an accurate load? Many thanks.
Old June 9, 2005, 02:29 PM   #2
mtnbkr

Once I have a good stockpile of my pet load, I experiment with interesting bullets, powders, and techniques. I like checking out different bullets. I have a 230gr wadcutter for my 357magnum that's interesting. I currently have a box of 160gr bullets for my 6.5x55 waiting to be loaded.

Chris
Old June 9, 2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Webleywielder

mtnbkr I'm intrigued

Please tell me more about your 230gr .357 load. Details of bullet origin and construction, powder charge, velocity, what it is used in and for. I always appreciate guys who like to push the envelope! Sounds like you may have a psuedo-whisper round.

"In a world devoid of semiautomatics, a properly set-up Webley is the ultimate full-size self-defense handgun".
Old June 10, 2005, 12:45 PM   #4
Dave R

Quote:
now that I've found what each of my guns likes best, I'm just making that same load.
That's basically what I'm doing. Although I keep finding another variation to try. Maybe a low-recoil load for my .308. Maybe a plinking load using "pulled" military bullets, to further reduce costs. Maybe try a new powder...
Old June 10, 2005, 12:56 PM   #5
mtnbkr

WW, I can't recall the name of the manufacturer, but it's a bullet designed specifically for bowling pin shooting. With about 5.5gr of Unique, I get about 900fps from my 4" GP100. It's actually pretty soft shooting. I bought 250 about 3 years ago and have managed to shoot 100.

It's a DEWC hardcast bullet with one crimp grove about 1/4" from the end and two lube grooves. Search around here or at THR and you'll probably find pics from me and others.

Chris
Old June 10, 2005, 01:29 PM   #6
caz223

Each gun has a purpose in life, something it does better than all others.
If this purpose in life depends on having two kinds of ammo, that's what it gets.
I try out all major bullet weights, and come up with a best guess for what the gun wants and what it will do best with.
I guess the real question depends on how many different guns you have in each caliber.....
Old June 10, 2005, 01:48 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've gotten to the point where I don't do a lot of experimenting anymore.

I've got two or three pet loads for each caliber, some are multiple loads for a single bullet (158-gr. LSWC for .38 and .357, for example), but in some I also load different bullet weights, such as .38, where I load 125s, 140s, 158s, and am thinking about 200s.

I experiment only enough to find a load that works well in my gun, both functioning and accuracy, and then I tend to stick with it.
Old June 10, 2005, 03:28 PM   #8
Webleywielder

Thanks mtnbkr

Very interesting. For what purpose do you use this load?

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to reply. You can address me as WW anytime.

"In a world devoid of semiautomatics, a properly set-up Webley is the ultimate full-size self-defence handgun".
Old June 10, 2005, 05:21 PM   #9
Leftoverdj

I generally find one load enough for pistols since I don't hunt with them.

Rifles get a hunting load and a cast bullet plinking load. Sometimes a small game load as well.
Old June 10, 2005, 06:01 PM   #10
mtnbkr

Quote:
For what purpose do you use this load?
Nothing specific. I've shot some paper, shot some steel spinners, and shot some bowling pins. They hit the target with authority, but don't have much felt recoil. Last time I shot steel, I used 38s though since I had more of those.

Chris
Old June 10, 2005, 06:03 PM   #11
Russ5924

I guess come to think of it I'm stuck in a rut also.Having done my experimenting I have just been reloading the same stuff can do it in my sleep.Maybe it is time for change
Old June 10, 2005, 06:15 PM   #12
Kamicosmos

i like trying different powders. Always on that search for the 'One Powder' that I can use in as many calibers as possible.

I don't change bullet types and/or wieghts very often, but on occasion I will.

I guess I don't consider myself in a rut.

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Old June 10, 2005, 07:18 PM   #13
Desert Dog

Depends on the caliber. I have a double handfull of loads for .45 Colt, from powder puff to nuclear.

As for .308 I have two, and that is only because of different bullet weights. Regarding .45 ACP, I have about five, .45 Super, three or four...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old June 13, 2005, 08:38 AM   #14
MADISON

Different loads for each gun

Different loads for each gun:
Two [2] .38 Special wad cutter loads
One [1] .357 Magnum load
Three [3] .41 Magnum loads
Two [2] .44 Magnum loads
One [1] .45 ACP load.
Old June 13, 2005, 09:11 AM   #15
mtnbkr

WW,

Here are the bullets I was talking about earlier:
http://www.pennbullets.com/38/38-caliber.html

Scroll down on the left side to the 230gr Thunderhead bullet.

I load mine to the top crimp groove in 357mag cases.

Chris
Old June 13, 2005, 11:11 AM   #16
flashhole

I only handload for rifle but I try and establish two loads for each caliber (I have 5 different calibers) one light bullet, one heavy bullet. I have enough guns to overlap capabilities 243 Win, 25-06 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 45-70. The trick is getting the light bullet and heavy bullet of the same cartridge to hit the same point of aim at 200 yards so you don't have to adjust the scope or sights. I've done this for all but the 45-70. I only use the Hornady 350 grain RN bullet in the 45-70 (I bought 1500 of them).

Are you ready for civil war?
Old June 14, 2005, 09:21 PM   #17
Ben Shepherd

About 9 loads per gun-(different applications )

1. light weight projectile for caliber:
a. slow b. moderate c. fast

Same combo for medium and heavy for caliber bullets.

ALL are accurate.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old June 14, 2005, 11:37 PM   #18
Webleywielder

Thanks mtnbkr!

I'll check it out.

"In a world devoid of semiautomatics, a properly set-up Webley is the ultimate full-size self-defense handgun".
Old June 16, 2005, 02:23 PM   #19
VonFatman

I'm so new to the hobby, I am working up "range" loads to allow myself a ready supply of ammo (ususally on the light side of the power/recoil curve). My desire it to invest more time later to learn more about reloading thru the different load types.

Bob
Old June 16, 2005, 03:57 PM   #20
Shorthair

One for fun, one for business....

I generally try to make two loads for a given cartridge or firearm. I don't need to try to go light/fast and slow/heavy with the same weapon, I am looking for efficiency and accuracy. I usually try to create a load for (1) development/fun/volume, another (2) for serious work. The first load is generally based on my load workup, the business load generally changes only the bullet to one of heavier construction. I demand accuracy in both versions, the first gets me cheaper load development and cheaper volume shooting, the second, assuming similar levels of accuracy, gets me a dedicated (more expensive) bullet. I shoot better than 10x the first load than the second, shooting the expensive stuff just enough to know I'm dialed in and getting the performance I'm looking for.
I get simplicity and usually excellent results with this basic operating principle. Here are a couple of examples:

6.5x55 Swede Mauser:
1: 140 grain Remington bulk bullet, 44.5 gr IMR 4350, CCI 200 primer, Rem case. 3/4 inch at 100 yards/3 rounds. I tried using 140 grn Speer hotcore but for some reason the rifle won't shoot them.
2: 140 grain Nosler Partition, no other changes. 3/4 inch at 100 yards/3 rounds.

7mm RemMag in custom Savage:
1: 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 69 grains H1000, CCI 250 primer, Rem cases. 1/2 inch at 100 yards/3 rounds.
2: 150 gr Nosler Partition, no other changes. 3/4 inch at 100 yards/3 rounds.

7mm-08 in 18.5" bbl Remington Model 7:
1: 140 grn Nosler Ballistic Tip, 38.5 grn AA2015, CCI 200 primer, Rem cases
2: Same load. I don't need to go to a "stronger" bullet as the velocities out of this rifle don't tax the ability of the bullet to hold together. It shoots into one hole consistently, I love this rifle/cartridge and consider it the ultimate eastern deer combo.

.35 Whelan in custom VZ-24
1: 225 grn Nosler Ballistic Tip, 63 grn IMR 4064, CCI 200 primer, Rem cases
2: 225 grn Nosler Partition, no other changes

In handguns I diverge from this principle, going way light for the (1) and quite stiff for (2). Again, I am looking for accuracy and reliability. Volume loading for handguns for me makes this sensible.
.45 ACP in 1911 GM
1: 200 grn plated SWC, 5.5 grn HP38, mixed cases, CCI LP primers
2: 200 grn XTP, max load of HP38, Hornady cases

.44 RemMag in 5.5" Redhawk
1: 240 LSWC, 8.5 grn HP38, mixed brass, CCI LP primers
2: 240 XTP, max load of H110, CCI Mag LP primers

These loads are safe in my firearms and should not be considered safe in any other weapon unless proper load development for that weapon has occured.