The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 21, 2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Beentown71

Bitten by a bug...

I am a shooter and a hunter. I mostly use my bow for most of my hunting but started using my shotgun more and more. I am more of a rifleman/handgunner for sport and use the bow to harvest (except yotes).

Well, I had a Remington 870 Express that I used when beating brush was the call. I had a really nice Beretta AL 391 I used all other times. I may have used a shotgun 3 times a year.

I ended up giving the 870 to my nephew as a gift (vent rib and cant barrel with a Swift scope). The 391 was sold soon after my first waterfowl hunt. That beautiful wood wasn't going to last with a dog, layout blind, mud and corn husks in the mix.

So I ended up with a Remington 887 I took in on as trade fodder. It has truly impressed me. I have beaten it up and lacked (completely) on its maintenance. I only had $240 in the NIB shotgun so maybe that is why I found it ok to abuse it. Nary an issue with the firearm. I like how reliable, lightweight and that it shoots everything up to 3.5's great.

Here is the rub...I recently went and shot the sporting clays course at http://cardinalcentercamp.com/...I believe I am hooked. The pump of the 887 seems to be a hindrance on some of the stations. By the time I get my weapon in position after the pump the second bird has made it out pretty far on some. Too far.

I am looking for a shotgun to use for:

Sporting Clays
Waterfowl
Doves

In my mind I am looking for something that is:

Semi Auto
Shoots 2 3/4" to 3 1/2" reliably
Reasonable cost (I have 3 girls under 7....and two new businesses.)

What say ye TFL? What should I look at? If I have to save for a long time so be it. But I would really like to spend under $1,000...$800 or less would be ideal. If this means I am going to have to go the used route I am not above digging through many gun stores used shelves

Dang, didn't realize this was so long....apologies.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old August 21, 2013, 11:25 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Bitten by a bug...

You will be hard pressed to find a reliable autoloader that handles 3.5" shells for under $1,000. To get those features, you would need to look into a Benelli Super Black Eagle or a Beretta, both of which start around $1500. Even used, these guns rarely are sold for less than $1,000.

Now, I am of the opinion that the 3.5" ability is not necessary, certainly not for ducks. If you want to go that route, then many good options around the $1,000 mark open up.
Old August 22, 2013, 12:11 AM   #3
Beentown71

Re: Bitten by a bug...

That is what I am seeing. Thinking about trying the Beretta A300 Outlander and Remington Versamax Sport.
Old August 22, 2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Virginian

The only 3-1/2" chambered guns I have seen that were also able to function very reliably with target loads were some of the Berettas and the Remington VersaMax. Can't beat a gas auto when it comes to flexibility.
Old August 22, 2013, 07:41 AM   #5
BigD_in_FL

My wife shoots the Beretta A400 Xplor Unico (green receiver). It is a 3.5" gun that she and I shoot my 3/4oz 12 gauge reloads out of for sporting clays. Gun weighs 7# even on a postal scale with the KO system; but as mentioned, it is NOT under 1K, more like $1400 from Rich Cole.

Briley makes excellent aftermarket chokes for it as well

It will outlast you and your kids.
Old August 22, 2013, 08:17 AM   #6
BoogieMan

I bought my son a used browning gold fusion 12ga for $600. Up until this time only auto shotguns I have shot were a S&W 1000 and a Franchi. I cant even begin to tell you how impressed I am with this gun. I can load a mouse fart 2-3/4 in front of a 3" mag and it never flinches on ejection. The downside is its 3", I dont know of any reason to go 3-1/2"
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 22, 2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Beentown71

3.5's are not "necessary" but nice for late season geese. That is the only case where I would probably use them...geese.

Something that only shoots up to 3" definitely opens up the field.

Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old August 22, 2013, 09:26 AM   #8
allaroundhunter

Bitten by a bug...

Beentown, that is true about the geese. In your OP you didn't mention geese which is why I said 3.5" shells were basically unnecessary. Now, plenty of geese have been bagged with 2.75" and 3" shells, but if you do still want that 3.5" capability, a used Beretta, Benelli, or Remington VersaMax is probably going to be your best bet.

Now, beentown.... What if you stuck with a 3" autoloader for this purchase since it would cover most all of what you want. Then, for late season geese you pulled out the trusty 887?
Old August 22, 2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Beentown71

Some good deals on Gunbroker. Versa Max Sportsman for $689...

Old August 22, 2013, 05:38 PM   #10
thecelt

I been bitten by an entire hive because I've become a shotgun addict over the past year. Imo the two most reliable semi autos that will take 3.5" are the benelli sbe and the remington versamax. You can go wrong with either one. I personally just bought a benelli m2 over the versamax tactical because I think it has a slight edge in reliability but with that said I still want to add a vm to the collection at some point.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:20 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The Mossberg 930 is their 3 inch autoloader and the 935 is 3.5 capable...

Will be less than other American made guns of equal specs....

Brent
Old August 22, 2013, 10:11 PM   #12
allaroundhunter

Bitten by a bug...

While the Mossbergs are cheaper, with that comes a much higher chance of reliability problems. Sure, they can be good guns, but they have many more lemons that either of the 'B's