The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 26, 2012, 11:24 PM   #1
freenokia

Bought gun online. Can't get copy of seller's Drivers license

Bought a gun on Gunbroker. Gun's here but seller won't send copy of his license. FFL who received the gun said he must have a copy of the guy's license...

What can I do?

Seller was invidual from New Mexico

Gun was recieved in Georgia
Old February 26, 2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

While it's not a legal requirement, most FFL's will want a copy of the driver's license to keep the books straight.

Has the seller articulated why he won't send a copy of his license? I'd consider contacting GunBroker to see if they're willing to intervene as well.
Old February 27, 2012, 12:03 AM   #3
Herr Walther

Receiver can look up senders license information on-line.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old February 27, 2012, 12:13 AM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It appears that it was a private seller, not an FFL.
Old February 27, 2012, 12:42 AM   #5
freenokia

My ffl said he needed a copy of his DL for the ATF. I didn't press it because I figured it wouldn't be a problem.

That was Friday. Sent seller an email Friday afternoon. Seller responded right away that he would do it first thing Saturday. Claimed it would be here by 1pm, my time....1pm saturday comes and goes. So I send another email saturday evening - no response. Sent another about 2hrs ago - no response..

The guy is kinda apathetic anyway. I sent him all the shipping info, he sends back the total, I send the CC info, my card is billed the next day, I request the tracking number-no response. A few days later I re-request the shipping number and he says he needs some more info.

If I haven't received it by noon tomorrow, I'm going to call the store and check my options. Just wanted to check here and try to get a heads up for what I'm probably instore for.

Thanks for the answer, especially the suggestion to contact gunbroker. Hadn't thought about that.

Quote:
Yeah, it was a private seller. Even if it wasn't I'd hate to have to ask my FFL to clean up my mess.
Old February 27, 2012, 10:16 AM   #6
divil

Doesn't make sense - the FFL shouldn't have to provide the ATF with the seller's license should he?

I sounds to me like the FFL has possession of your property and is making his own rules about handing it over.
Old February 27, 2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by divil
Doesn't make sense - the FFL shouldn't have to provide the ATF with the seller's license should he?
The FFL doesn't need the driver's license number, but he does have to enter the seller's full name and address into his bound book as the source of an incoming firearm. Most FFLs use a driver's license as a way to verify that the name and address are correct and complete.
Old February 27, 2012, 10:45 AM   #8
Armorer-at-Law

Some FFLs will not do transfers from private sellers for just this reason. That is aggravating to a buyer, but it seems the least the seller could do, understanding that the FFL who will handle the tranfer needs some minimal information.
Old February 27, 2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Herr Walther

We never accepted transfers from individuals. Always had to come from an FFL that had logged it in and then logged it out to us.

I've never even heard of a transfer from a private party across state lines except to a repair facility or gunsmith.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old February 27, 2012, 12:02 PM   #10
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by freenokia
Gun's here but seller won't send copy of his license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freenokia
Sent seller an email Friday afternoon. Seller responded right away that he would do it first thing Saturday. Claimed it would be here by 1pm, my time....1pm saturday comes and goes. So I send another email saturday evening - no response. Sent another about 2hrs ago - no response.
The seller has agreed to cooperate, but is apparently consistently slow.
Old February 27, 2012, 01:59 PM   #11
maestro pistolero

Quote:
I've never even heard of a transfer from a private party across state lines except to a repair facility or gunsmith.
Really? It's extremely common, though perhaps not in your state. I've done a half dozen or so purchases from private parties who shipped directly to my FFL. In fact, unless it's a new online purchase, it's always been PP to FFL.
Old February 27, 2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Technosavant

Quote:
Not sure why.

I once sold a gun across state lines; I drove over the border to the FFL and handed the gun personally to the dealer. He logged the gun and started the process of transferring it to the buyer.

I can understand a FFL wanting a clear idea of how the gun came to them, but I have yet to see an incident where a FFL got in trouble for accepting a gun across state lines from a private party. Not that it's never happened, but given how many I read about refusing to do so, I would think there would have been some incidents of that happening.

Really, it's precious little different from somebody bringing a gun in on trade- that comes from a private party too. Same state (usually), but still; there's no ATF regulation prohibiting it.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:10 PM   #13
dogtown tom

Quote:
Herr Walther We never accepted transfers from individuals. Always had to come from an FFL that had logged it in and then logged it out to us.

Its kinda tough to hear of a private party transfer when you don't accept transfers from individuals.

Half of my transfers I receive are from nonlicensees.........thanks for the business.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 28, 2012, 06:46 AM   #14
Herr Walther

I'm not in a gun friendly state and this was twelve years ago. This is the way my employer wanted it. Whether or not it was the law or a regulation back then is irrelevent.

Why would our not accepting private transfers have the slightest impact on your business?
Old February 28, 2012, 10:54 AM   #15
dogtown tom

Quote:
Herr Walther ....Why would our not accepting private transfers have the slightest impact on your business?
Dealers who refuse transfers from nonlicensees lose their business to dealers that do accept from nonlicensees.

That attitude puts $$$ in my pocket.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 28, 2012, 11:13 AM   #16
Pahoo

Sure makes sense !!!

Well, I finally see the rational and logic of transferring to an FFL, from an FFL. Takes all the guess work and hassle out of it the process. ....

On a related note, there was one occasion where the seller, who is an FFL, not only required the FFL on this end but a copy of my driver's license as well. Instead of a driver's license, I provided and alternate I.D. that was acceptable.

Once at a Gun Show, bought a rifle from a guy off the floor and his requirement was that the transaction, go through an FFL and he paid for the cost. Not a problem ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 28, 2012, 02:07 PM   #17
freenokia

Got my Gun

Found the seller's phone number on gunbroker
Old February 28, 2012, 02:24 PM   #18
saltydog452

There are software programs available where, given a name, license plate, address, etc., or DL number, lots of stuff is Public Information. As so, it is readily available for a search fee.

No accuracy gurantee, or if the information that is provided to the search engine is legit, or not. GIGO.

See if your Credit Card agency has an option for Fraud Protection. Looks as though you might need it.

Given some time, you can untangle the buyer, seller, FFl issues. Right now, I'd do the Credit Card Equilavent of a 'Stop Payment'.

salty