The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 20, 2012, 12:51 PM   #1
bry55n92

decent 1911 kit

Alright, I've been looking all over the internet for a few weeks now trying to find a fairly cheap 1911 parts kit, preferably with slide and barrel. My dad and I are planning on building a couple together. I've seen all the old posts about it, but most of the websites seem to be down or completely sold out. Does anyone know where I can get one?

I should mention here that I say cheap, because my father has been a machinist for 30 years now, and I have been for 4. We can make all the parts that we need to, but it would be easier to get the cheaper parts and make the ones that are no good from the kit. I've got access to CNC's, Milling machines, Lathes, everything I need to make this work. We've already written the CNC program to make the frame, but we don;t want to start the project until we've got the necessary parts.
Old January 20, 2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The only place I know of selling parts KITS, everything except receiver in one package, is SARCO.
http://e-sarcoinc.com/451911autobuil...lessframe.aspx
and they are "temporarily out of stock."
Quality is reported variable. Some come out ok, some end up requiring name brand replacements.

Most serious builders go a la carte from places like Brownells, Caspian, Fusion, etc.
Old January 20, 2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Another vote for Sarco. Their kits are reasonably priced and of reasonable quality. IMHO it's the best way for a first-time 1911 builder to start, because the parts are all generic enough that if you mess one up it can be easily replaced. And the kit is reasonably enough priced that if you mess up a part or two you won't feel a need to commit ritual hara kiri.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Fleet

Fusion sells partial kits - frame, slide, barrel, bushing and link. After that, Brownells is your friend, they have all the rest.
http://www.fusionfirearms.com/
Old January 21, 2012, 10:44 AM   #5
mkk41

I've gotten several kits from Sarco over the years , but got more junk than good parts. The Brazillian surplus slides and barrels are made by the same maker (Imbel/Itajuba) that makes Springfield Inc slides. Small parts have been a mix of what seems to be old parkerized military , commercial blued and stainless.
Old January 21, 2012, 12:43 PM   #6
gyvel

260938535920 "Colt slide and all internals." On eBay right now and looks like all nice parts, including a Fed. Stock # barrel.

Tags
1911 , colt , kit