The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 25, 2011, 11:38 AM   #1
mcpluto

pay to hunt pigs?

I own 44 acres and I shoot pigs on it frequently. Walking in to check my trail camera I decided to carry my compact Glock (.40 cal). It is loaded with Hornady Critical Defense rounds (concealed carry type of ammo). Not really hunting but I don't go anywhere on my property without a firearm of some type. Walked u on this small sow and a couple of her piglets. The CD rounds (though kinda expensive for hunting) were very effective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7780CrppoedPaint1.jpg (232.6 KB, 151 views)
Old September 25, 2011, 12:06 PM   #2
C0untZer0

Those swine have the long snout on them - I'd guess they're from stock that has been wild for decades.

1) Not sure where you shot her - was it in the neck behind the jaw?

2) Did you get the piglets?

3) What does the title of your post have to do with any of this?
Old September 25, 2011, 12:25 PM   #3
FrosSsT

I don't understand the point of this post...its pointless
Old September 25, 2011, 12:38 PM   #4
SHNOMIDO

he used CD ammo to hunt and it worked.

theres a picture.

thats the thread.
Old September 25, 2011, 01:19 PM   #5
H&kusp45

Nice shooting!
Old September 25, 2011, 01:22 PM   #6
mcpluto

I shoot so many of these nasty things it amazes me that people pay money to hunt them. I've shot them with my .40 cal, .45, .12 ga, 30-30, Ar 15 and my bow. I shot this one from about 40 feet and hit her in the spine (all I could see above the brush). I know they are smart and normally difficult to hunt but I'm out on the property enough that I stumble on them frequently enough to down a few. I did a couple of night hunts over my feeder but that just seemed like gathering not really hunting. Just thought you guys might find it enteresting that the CD round works well on pigs. This is after all a hunting thread isn't it?
Old September 25, 2011, 02:11 PM   #7
C0untZer0

Well OK, you bring up a good point.

Not only do people pay to go on canned hunts that are basically nothing more than a couple of knuckle heads who buy a big domestic pig off of some farmer and then let it loose on their "hunting grounds", but there are people who actually wish that their state had wild pigs roaming around it so they could hunt them.

In Texas it's gotten to the point where most people see these creatures for what they are - extremely destructive, extremely resilient pests.
Old September 25, 2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I sorta doubt that there are enough "canned hunts" for hogs to amount to a hill of beans.

One thing that folks don't think about is that in today's world of lawsuit-happy people, any landowner who lets outsiders onto his property for hunting should carry liability insurance. I figure that damage to the land or not, it's not unfair for the guy who gets the meat to pay a bit of the landowner's overhead.

As near as I can tell, there are ever-fewer fees to hunt hogs, and more openness on the part of landowners with hog problems.
Old September 26, 2011, 09:07 AM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I shoot so many of these nasty things it amazes me that people pay money to hunt them.
No reason to be amazed. You have land and you have a pig problem. People who pay to hunt pigs either don't have land or don't have pigs or both. It is no more strange than folks paying to hunt deer.

So what did happen to the piglets?
Old September 26, 2011, 09:12 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I guess I "indirectly" pay to hunt hogs... This dog feed, chains, snaps, leashes, cut gear, medical gear tracking system and collars...

Non of that is free.

Brent
Old September 26, 2011, 02:02 PM   #11
rickyrick

I think that he used the pigs as s ballistic test media, and was pleased with the results.

Pigs are gonna do what pigs are gonna do. All that you have to do is be there when pigs are doing what pigs do.

Unless you go in after them like Brent does, that's some action I bet.
Old September 26, 2011, 05:04 PM   #12
FrontSight

Quote:
Quote:
I shoot so many of these nasty things it amazes me that people pay money to hunt them.

No reason to be amazed. You have land and you have a pig problem. People who pay to hunt pigs either don't have land or don't have pigs or both. It is no more strange than folks paying to hunt deer.
Exactly....for those of us with no wild pigs, we have to pay for the excitement one way or another....either travel very far and pay for airafare, car rental, lodging, food, guide, license, and deal with the bozos in Homeland Security screening, etc etc, or travel a little while to a game farm and get in a fair sized pen with wild-caught, ornery pigs. And believe me, they ARE ornery; have been charged twice in as many times...it's quite a rush, worth every penny. Can be quick, or can take all day, maybe 2.
Old September 26, 2011, 05:21 PM   #13
BUFF

I've tried to talk my dad into leasing his land for pig hunting. There's plenty of big city lawyers and doctors in Dallas and Houston that wouldn't mind paying big bucks to hunt pigs. But he's against it. He doesn't want the hassle. Legal or otherwise. Most farmers and ranchers with pig problems just don't want to deal with it and want to be left alone. With lawyers I can understand.
Old September 27, 2011, 03:57 PM   #14
Saltydog235

Any dead pig is a good pig. Any live pig needs to be made dead.