The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 8, 2015, 10:53 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

I don't know who makes them, but for ages the Gun Parts Corp (aka Numrich Arms) and Sarco have sold replacement GI barrels. I would expect one of them to be a no fit needed barrel in a GI spec gun.

I believe the custom barrel makers intentionally make them oversize with the instructions that they need to be fitted to your gun.
Old July 8, 2015, 11:37 PM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Polyphemus,

I may keep saying that, but apparently the makers of "1911 type" pistols and parts keep thinking exactly that. I simply refuse to use the term "Model 1911" or "Model 1911A1" for non-Colt/non-GI guns; I call them "1911 type guns", which is a better description.

Jim
Old July 17, 2015, 05:27 PM   #28
superfly92

Finally got the barrel fitted and slide goes into battery with no resistance now. The rearmost upper lug on the barrel had to filed down enough to allow the forward lug to actually fit into the slide recesses. Had to replace the link with a #3 link as the one it came with was too short. Going to test fire this weekend at the range and will update with results
Old July 19, 2015, 04:03 AM   #29
Will-j

1911/battery

Glad to hear you got it all straightened out. Sometimes, it is something easy to fix. Next time you'll know where to start should a similar problem arise with another new barrel.
I've been there with a few new barrels myself. Didn't take but a couple to learn what to look for. Good luck with the next one.

WILL.
THE WINDS OF CHANGE ARE BLOWING FROM OUR OWN CAPITOL.
Old July 19, 2015, 04:09 AM   #30
Will-j

Disregard his posting: posed in error.
THE WINDS OF CHANGE ARE BLOWING FROM OUR OWN CAPITOL.
Old July 20, 2015, 11:15 PM   #31
drobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
I don't know who makes them, but for ages the Gun Parts Corp (aka Numrich Arms) and Sarco have sold replacement GI barrels. I would expect one of them to be a no fit needed barrel in a GI spec gun.

I believe the custom barrel makers intentionally make them oversize with the instructions that they need to be fitted to your gun.
"Drop In" parts and 1911 means drop in to a gun smith.
Sarco sells unmarked RIA parts as "GI" they don't drop in to anything and need fitting.

Don't believe me - look into building your own 1911. It's a total PITA as every part needs hand fitting.
Old July 21, 2015, 09:41 AM   #32
45Gunner

Many moons ago, when I was just a young warrior armed with wrenches, screwdrivers and enough knowledge to get myself in trouble, I thought I could fix most things that went wrong with car engines. One day my car engine had a problem, which I thought I could fix. Several days later it cost me twice as much to have a real mechanic fix it after I broke more than I fixed. I learned my lesson.

I carried that lesson over to my adult years. I'm pretty good with fixing guns, changing "drop in" parts, etc. However, when there is a problem that takes more than the screwdriver or hammer to fix, I bring it to my gunsmith who is a 1911 genius. I have even had him to my house to "supervise" and guide me thru some of the work I have attempted. Worked out fine under his guidance but don't think I would attempt it alone.

I am envious of those that have a talent to work with their hands...gunsmiths, artists, musicians, etc. Hope you get your problem solved...and very interesting reading all the knowledgable responses. By the way, if you don't have "The Colt .45 Automatic, A Shop Manual" by Jerry Kuhnhausen, by all means pick one up.
NRA Life Member
Old July 25, 2015, 10:34 AM   #33
Dave AA

I get it 44AMP
Old August 21, 2015, 05:38 AM   #34
superfly92

Thanks for all the help. Had to get a few range trips in to make sure everything was functioning properly but everything works now. VIS is showing pretty even contact with the barrel lugs and haven't had any FTFs or FTEs