The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 11, 2013, 08:54 PM   #76
Dragline45

Quote:
I just purchased a NIB SBH Hunter in 45 Colt last Thursday. I was 300 cheaper than I'd seen on gunbroker so it got moved up the "buy it now" list.
Unfortunately the Super Blackhawk is a single action, which Ruger makes plenty of SA revolvers in .45 colt. Now if only they would get on the ball and start actually producing their Redhawk's in .45 colt like they advertise.
Old May 11, 2013, 09:32 PM   #77
royal barnes

I started in CAS with .45 Colts and a Uberti '66 for my rifle. I shot that combo for several years but eventually went to .44-40 because it is so much cleaner using black powder. I still have the .45's. The .45 Colt is a fine gun-cartridge combo..
Old May 11, 2013, 11:52 PM   #78
Sheikyourbootie

I have a Bisley Blackhawk. It will shoot anything mild to wild. These are some of my more tame hand-loads with 325 grain bullets at 1100fps. The hottest I load these are 1300fps.

Old May 12, 2013, 05:31 AM   #79
Mike / Tx

I always had a fascination with the 45 Colt. Growing up my greandfather kept one under the counter at his service station, and I know of two BG's it made wish they hadn't tried to rob the place. I have it in my safe now, but there is no way I would try to shoot it. He had it chrome plated some point, and also the indexing is out of alignment and the lands in the barrel are both for the most part non existant. I cannot even imagine how many rounds it has had through it nor what they were comprised of.

That said, I managed to find and procure a Redhawk in the 7.5" version not too long ago. I had been looking for one on and off for half a dozen years when this one showed up on Gunbroker. I made a bid and was lucky enough to win it. It came in the box still wrapped in the plastic, and no signs what so ever of a round ever being fired through it. To say I was happy would be an understatement.

Since picking it up I have shot cast rounds through it ranging from 200 through 310grs and found most every load to shoot well within tolerable limits, and most to shoot exceptionaly well out to 50+ yards. I have used both commercial and my own cast bullets with hardly any difference in accuracy, but I like the ones I pour MUCH better.

I complimented this fine revolver with a couple of the more traditional bullet molds like the Lee 452-255WFN and also a couple of the fine MP molds of the Keith type, the 640 design, and 45 270 SAA. All of these have shot VERY well and like what is pictured above in Sheikyourbootie's picture come with an assortment of HP pins which allow even more versitality over the standard solid version. Not that the standard solids aren't great they are, but adding in a HP to the noses and with the wide range of loads available for this caliber it makes it MUCH more intersting and formidable as well.

I do have my eye out for another one in this caliber I just haven't decided on which one. Quite possibly it will be another one in the Redhawk with the shorter barrel so my wife will have something a bit lighter to shoot, but with enough weight not to recoil so much on her. She shoots my standard RH's just fine from a rest, but she really gets going with the GP100's. So I figure if I am going to be in the dog house I might as well at least have something SHE can use to help shorten my exile.
Old May 12, 2013, 07:46 AM   #80
Gray Ghost

A few weeks ago I picked up an "old" model Vaquero in 45 Colt, since then I've loaded some target loads and a few hotter "Ruger only" as well. Shoots great and I like that the 45 Colt is versatile, lots of uses and possible loads available depending on what type of shooting you are doing.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:04 PM   #81
CSG

Some years ago I was introduced to CAS and it appealed to the wannabe cowboy in me. I figured if I was going to shoot it would be for fun and not compete against the guys who were in it to win it with little calibers and light loads. The iconic caliber to me was .45 Colt and that's what I went with. I have a couple of Cimmaron Arms SAAs as well as their 1873 and 1866 long guns. I started reloading because of the rounds shot and cost of factory loaded ammo. I gave up on CAS after a year (too many silly people) but not the guns. I still enjoy shooting them out back and must have 600-700 loaded rounds with the makings for a couple thousand more.

I figure the '73 would be a decent hunting rifle but I'm more of a small game hunter and shooting a squirrel with a .45, well, that would just be wrong.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:59 PM   #82
Sarge

Actually, it would just be 'fun' GSG. I've used various 44/45 handguns on small and large game for years.
Old May 12, 2013, 02:31 PM   #83
Hawg

I've always wanted a .45 Colt SA but when I got my guns for CAS I ran up on a deal too good to pass up on a couple of 44-40's.
Old May 12, 2013, 03:09 PM   #84
SaxonPig

I once had a plethora of revolvers in 45 colt (or whatever) but after my last sell off I was left with two.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; May 12, 2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: We are NOT going to turn this thread into Colt v Long Colt.
Old May 12, 2013, 04:23 PM   #85
Sarge

You picked a perfect pair to keep, Saxon Pig. Both are beautiful!