The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 16, 2011, 12:08 PM   #1
cajun47

cheap black paint for the mossberg 500 receiver?

i bought a mossberg 500 that pretty scratched up for $80. im looking for a good paint for the receiver for cheap.
Old August 16, 2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Pahoo

You get what you pay for4

What about one of the Ceramacoat type products or at least am epoxy paint. Not cheap as paint goes but anything less would not give you good performance. In the least, how about a Rustoleum flat black. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old August 16, 2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Contact Brownell's. Their tech people can help you...
Old August 16, 2011, 05:50 PM   #4
dwaawd

cajun, I'm in the process of using Brownells Aluma-Hyde II Matte Black to refinish my 1300. I've sprayed most of it and am very happy with the finish. Check the video to see what's involved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raeeeCc9SWw
Old August 16, 2011, 07:53 PM   #5
JiminTexas

If you just want cheap black paint, go down to Lowes or Home Depot and get a spray can of Barbecue paint. The kind that they use to touch up old barbecues. It's heat resistand to abput 500 deg. F. so you can use it on the barrel too. It scratches fairly easily, but is a snap to repair a scratch and at the price (about 1/10th the price of cero-coat) you can't beat it.
Old August 17, 2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Mudinyeri

If it's going to be a beater gun, I'd agree with JiminTexas. Heck, I might even use some plain old Krylon.

It's an $80 gun that's already scratched. How far wrong can you go?
Old August 18, 2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Mobuck

Krylon gloss or matte has worked well for me on some Bubba projects.
Old August 26, 2011, 01:23 AM   #8
Ac1d0v3r1d3

It's aluminum. it doesn't need paint
Old August 26, 2011, 07:52 AM   #9
jaguarxk120

Scratched, worn aluminum looks terrible. I give the guy credit for wanting a decent looking gun.

Rustolium makes a satin black that should work fine for you. You don't want highgloss or flat, but a satin that will look good as a finish.
Old August 26, 2011, 08:13 AM   #10
mavracer

I've used wheeler spray and bake and had really good luck with it but it's kinda expensive if you don't catch it on sale. If you want to go cheap BBQ grill paint or automotive exhaust paint are your best bets.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old August 26, 2011, 11:02 AM   #11
chack

there's no way that a shotgun receiver is going to get hot enough to need 900 degree BBQ paint. Even the much better looking engine enamel is more than enough. The problem is that paint doesn't bond well to aluminum, that's not an issue if you don't mind touching it up periodically. The alumihyde is a much better looking and more durable finish. It's also alot more expensive.
Old August 26, 2011, 12:22 PM   #12
TxGun

Since it is aluminum, an alternative approach would be to wet sand the receiver with fine-grit emory cloth and bring it to a polished stainless-like finish. It's not going to rust, obviously, and if you do get a scratch on it (no more likely than if you paint it, or if it's anodized), then nothing is easier to touch-up. Then touch-up the pins, trigger guard, etc, with black paint for contrast. Not saying it's what I would do (but I might)...and you'd have to like the look, but there are some "marine" models that look similar.
Old August 26, 2011, 12:32 PM   #13
ripnbst

Getting it Cerakoted is an awesome option but its not exactly cheap unfortunately.
Old August 26, 2011, 12:46 PM   #14
dwaawd

Aluma-Hyde ll is $13.00 a can. The kicker was shipping at $14.00 to my location.(classified as hazardous material to mail). Last week I sprayed my 1300 with it. Tomorrow is the last day of the drying phase. It is hard already. I'm happy. One can of Aluma-Hyde now or numerous cans of Mall Wart paint down the road. Your choice.

Old August 26, 2011, 03:57 PM   #15
roklok

I bought a tired, broken Mossberg 500 a few years back for $20.00. The receiver was worn silver, and the buttstock was broken. I replaced the stock and replaced some springs. I painted the receiver with Brownells Aluma-Hyde II and it has held up well through several years of hard use in duckboats and snowmachines. The sharp edges of receiver have worn silver again however.
Old August 27, 2011, 09:26 PM   #16
Capt Rick Hiott

If you use regular Krylon rattle can paint, you should use a etch primer under it. Sherwin Williams sells it in there auto stores.