The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 7, 2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Aristides

RemOil, then Militec, then RemOil: Yes? No?

I have used RemOil for years for both cleaning and lubricating my pistols and shotguns. Spray them down, wipe them off. Done. Is that too simplistic?

My pistols get this after EVERY trip to the range, since they are for self-defense. My shotguns and rifles only get this after a hunting outing in the rain or snow, and then at the end of every hunting season..."whether they need it or not".

I am about to receive back a little Sig P238 from being serviced at Sig. The Sig customer service manager happened to mention that he likes the Militec treatment on semi-autos. Maybe he owns stock in the company that makes Militec, I don't know. But given his position, I'm assuming he's giving me a good suggestion.

First question:

Should I clean the pistol first with RemOil, and then apply the Militec?
Or will the RemOil's Teflon or lubricant residue interfere with the "heat-bonding" of the Militec? Would it be better to clean the gun with Gun Scrubber, and then apply the Militec? I guess I'm sort of wondering how the Militec will do it's metal absorption/bonding thing if the gun has had the RemOil Teflon on it. Does the Teflon build up over time, in either a positive or negative way?

Second question:

After applying the Militec, is it ok to continue using the RemOil for routine cleaning/lubing after a range session? Will the Teflon or lubricant in the RemOil adversely effect the Militec, or vice-versa?

Third question:

How often should I apply the Militec treatment? After every trip to the range? Once every 1,000 rounds? I have no clue.

Thanks!
Old June 8, 2010, 03:34 AM   #2
Scorch

Militec instructions tell how to strip the oil off the firearm before treatment. After treatment, you can use whatever you want to lube the gun, but the Militec will have to be reapplied periodically. I just apply Militec as a lube.
Old June 8, 2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Aristides

Scorch, when you say "I just apply Militech as a lube", do you mean you apply it as a lube after every time you clean your gun? Or do you only lube it with Militec occasionally?

Also, I don't seem to have any instructions on how to strip the gun before using the Militec. Is GunScrubber adequate for that?
Old June 8, 2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Tuzo

This method works for me

For semi auto pistols, bolt actions, and semi auto rifles.

1. Clean with Hoppes 9 and wipe off.
2. Apply Militec to wear parts (rails, etc) with a pipe cleaner or cotton swab.
3. Heat with a heat gun until Militec becomes less viscous.
4. Repeat after shooting but without a Hoppes 9 cleaning of wear parts.
5. After the second application of Militec a dry cloth wipe down is all that is required to maintain cleanliness.
6. Repeat the process when no lubricant is felt on wear parts, usually after a few range trips.

For revolvers.
1. Clean internal parts with Hoppes 9 and wipe off.
2. Apply Militec and heat with a heat gun as above.
3. Internal wear parts remain clean and lubricated for a long time.
Old June 8, 2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
I don't seem to have any instructions on how to strip the gun before using the Militec. Is GunScrubber adequate for that?
I would guess that Gun Scrubber would work fine. I just used Hoppe's and then wiped the gun down with alcohol, then applied the Militec to the wear areas, then heated as directed. After that, I just put Militec on like a lube. I also use CLP and SuperLube at times, but generally just a drop of Militec will do the job.

For "how-To" instructions, go to the Militec site and look for the pdf on application.
http://www.militec.com/
Old June 8, 2010, 09:40 PM   #6
Aristides

Thanks for the help!