The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 9, 2000, 11:17 PM   #1
Mom T

Basically I'm new to shotgunning. I have an old 12 guage K-mart O/U made by Boito that a friend gave me eight years ago. I use it to shoot informal trap on occasion. That is the extent of my shotgun knowledge.

I've seen mention of the "rule of 96" a few times and was just wondering what it's all about.

Thanks in advance for the info and good shooting.
Old September 10, 2000, 07:14 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Basically, it means a sporting shotgun used for wingshooting should weigh 96 times the payload. So, if you're shooting a 1 oz load, the shotgun should weigh 6 lbs. Much lighter, heavy recoil,much heavier, you're carrying too much weight. Note, this was invented by the Brits, who are fanatical about properly fitting stocks and well balanced shotguns.
Old September 12, 2000, 09:40 PM   #3
Big Bunny

Yes - that last comment is very relevant indeed, heavier guns especially if to be used with reloads are far better for safety/legal reasons.

Shotgun reloading is not very popular in UK and it is anyway actively discouraged by government, so lighter guns are OK. [I saw some 1" of barrel(muzzle end) off a Brit gun being cut off with a knife after damage in the field!... It was THAT thin!!!]

Remember soft buttpads and muzzle compensators + weight adjustments/balance weights on individual guns can make the 96 rule unreliable when buying a gun IMHO.

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.