The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 28, 2012, 05:28 PM   #1
bogeybill55

Opinions on New Rifle

Looking for opinions on purchasing a target rifle for the wife to join me at the range as a couples activity. We are both now retired and I'm looking to get back into reloading as a hobby. I have reloaded only for my hunting rifles and a .44 mag handgun, a Ruger Red Hawk. The rifles are a Remington Model 760 pump in 30-06 and the other is a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. Both are topped with Leupold variable scopes.
The wife is learning to shoot with a scoped Henry Lever in .22 LR and a scoped Browning bolt .22 LR. The .22 LR just doesn't cut it with accuracy at 100 yards so I would like to get a bolt action rifle in .223 caliber. Should be easy on the shoulder and I can play with it at the loading bench. And if I ever get the opportunity I can use it a varmint field gun.
So, after lot's of research I thought a Marlin XS7 in .223 with a 3X9 or 4X12 scope might fit the bill. The rifle is probably in the $330 range and I would like to keep the optics around the $250 range including mounts.
I'm also open to a used rifle in .223 as again this is for the wife to range shoot not to go to Wyoming or Alaska for a big game hunt.
You personal experiences with various low cost (not junk) scope brands and rifles is appreciated. Not looking to be cheap, just thrifty. Thanks in advance.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Huffmanite

Good choice on the Marlin X rifle, have two of them in other cartridges and they shoot well. As to a scope. Check www.natchezss.com for a Weaver 40/44 3.8-12x44 A.O. scope. Its about a $200 scope that Natchez is selling for $120 or $130 depending on reticle. This is an aspherical lens design scope (heritage is 35mm lens camera design), made in Philippines and has excellent optics. Owned one for a few years now and quite happy with it.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Ricklin

Bushnell

The higher end Japanese Bushnell's are nice scopes, and reasonably priced.
My 3X9 Bushnell is outstanding, and was very reasonable. It's the brightest scope I own. The good Bushnell's are made in Japan and very nice quality, the low end Chinese Bushnell's are fine on a .22 plinker, and that's about it. No comparison in the quality, you can feel the difference.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:49 PM   #4
4runnerman

First off I would look at The Savage line of rifles. Best out of the box accuracy. As for a scope,Being a 223 is capable of shooting much farther than you are talking here i would get a good quality scope for when the day comes that you want to shoot well beyond 100 yards. 223's will do 400 plus with ease. You looking at a MIl dot scope?. I just got a Muller 8-32 x 44 for my 243. $240.00 and it is one nice little set up.Passed the box test very well.
I am one for more power on my scope for those tiny targets you might shoot.
You mentioned for target shooting also. I would go with a 24 power at the lowest, Myself i put at 32 power on my 223.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:56 AM   #5
solocam72

I would get the rifle in either a howa 1500 or a weatherby vangaurd S2, both are made by howa. I own 2 of them and both shoot EXTREMELY well! The howa 1500 in 7mm-08 and a weatherby vangaurd S2 in .257 weatherby, a good friend of mine just bought a .223 in the vangaurd S2 and it shoots a dime at 100 yrds! I would also look at tikka, I have yet to see one of them NOT shoot, both my S2 weatherby vangaurd and howa 1500 are gauranteed to shoot an inch group at 100 yrds with premium ammo. I handload and found loads for for both rifles without any hassle that shot 1" and better at 100 yrds
Old December 29, 2012, 02:10 PM   #6
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Check out OpticsPlanet.com , they have your scope , whatever it may be !
Old December 29, 2012, 02:41 PM   #7
solocam72

As for a scope I would definately look at the redfields as they are part of leupold & stevens now, they have 2 different models out, the revolution is there top of the line made here in the US OF A by leupold I believe? And the revenge being the lower end which is made in the philipines, I have both and have nothing but good to say about them! I also own a pair of their binos and really like them as well
Old December 29, 2012, 06:47 PM   #8
10-96

For a scope, I too would give a hearty thumbs up for the Mueller brand. I have several, two of which have been on varmint/truck rifles that haven't received what you would call the gentlest of care.

For a rifle- it may be a little above what you were looking to spend maybe. But the CZ 527 line is an outstanding rifle. It's main shining point, I would think, for you and your wife's goals is the single-set trigger.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.