The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 3, 2012, 12:40 AM   #1
sfmedic

I am NOT a reloader but im sure (damn) getting into the business and need some help

I need to get some insights on getting my per bullet costs down .

so far im getting st marks tight group powder and the other components Im not sure about.

Im just bought 2 camdex 2100 reloaders and brass processing machines and want to be able to reload about 1 million rounds a month. I need to get the components for 10 million rounds 9mm FMJ

also if anyone thats knows this stuff wants to come overseas for a few months to help with setup thats cool too (500 day)

my question is who can fill the 10mm component requirement (seems everyone is out of stock)

anyone ever deal with the czechs / israelis / russians before?
Old December 3, 2012, 08:57 AM   #2
griz

When it comes to commercial ventures I don't have any advice, but I do have a question. I know they have some folks shooting at each other over there, but is there a market for millions of pistol rounds locally?
Old December 3, 2012, 02:17 PM   #3
sfmedic

LOL with my crew there is :-)

(Pesh-Merga) - kurdish fighters Its not for resale its for use by my guys
Old December 3, 2012, 03:19 PM   #4
mikld

Whose side are you on?
Old December 3, 2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Marco Califo

Psst

Hey, I got a buddy looking to buy some . . .

About time to lock this troll.

Last edited by Marco Califo; December 3, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:50 PM   #6
okiefarmer

I hear the USPS just bought a buttload of 9mm. Mebee you could talk them out of some of their HP stuff.

Honest to gawd, you picked a heck of a time to look for components. I just called Grafs today, and they are swamped, never been so dang busy. Truck loading and unloading at breakneck speeds, thanks to the election. Looks like it has had the same affect over in Iraq. BTW, I thought obozo and the rest of the left said we got out of that place.
Old December 3, 2012, 09:02 PM   #7
orionengnr

Quote:
my question is who can fill the 10mm component requirement (seems everyone is out of stock)
What are you doing with 10mm? Can't be more than a handful of weapons that take 10mm ammo. Starline is out of 10mm brass and will be making more after the first of the year. They are the only one I know that sells 10mm brass.
Old December 3, 2012, 09:46 PM   #8
Crankgrinder

not 10mm auto, the guy wants components for 10 million rounds of 9mm, which brings me to my question, why so many rounds of 9mm? Even here in the u.s. being in posession of that quantity might get you questioned.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:23 PM   #9
orthosophy

I hope you're properly set up to store 2 1/2 tons of gunpowder, at minimum loads.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:51 PM   #10
davery25

this sounds like a munitions armament activity related to war or guerilla activity...this is a firearms enthusiasts forum.

sure you should be asking this here?

Last edited by davery25; December 4, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:24 AM   #11
sfmedic

mikld - Im on the good guys side :-)

I came to this forum because they have familiarity with the private sector as that is where I am trying to purchase from.

Orthosospy - yep 8000 tons of it :-) - Gotta ask yourself - Im bringing 8000 lbs of gunpowder into a country were everyone smokes like a chimney and has NO concern for safety - what could possibly go wrong?? :-)
Old December 4, 2012, 09:31 AM   #12
sfmedic

okiefarmer - just read yours

yea thats what i am finding out - everyone is swamped to the limit

Yes everyone got out of Iraq - lol except me and a few small detachments somewhere - I've been here since 03 (Kurdistan)

Its a great place if you like the dodge city environment :-)

This place is booming / the kurds love americans / hate arabs / love george bush / dislike Obama / love Israel

Its kinda like living with Muslim republicans
Old December 4, 2012, 10:07 AM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

Muslim Republicans. Love it.

A number of folks have expressed concern about this thread and what the ammo is going for. It's actually not an unusual quantity for practice and training purposes. Don't forget the recent flap about all the non-police U.S. government agencies ordering hundreds of millions of rounds of ammunition just for practice and training. As a frame of reference, consider that a single 2700 point conventional pistol match at Camp Perry with just 200 competitors fires 54,000 rounds for record plus alibi rounds in just that one day.

There are a few members of the board with commercial loading experience, but not many. Owing to the aforementioned end-of-year government contracts for ammunition, there is a shortage of some materials currently in the U.S. Metals prices have not helped as the bullet manufacturers are reluctant to place large raw materials orders to make bullet stockpiles with when prices are high and fluctuating. Too much fear of getting stuck with overpriced bullets and materials that have to be sold at a loss.

Sellier & Bellot (Czechoslovakia) and Prvi Partizan (Serbia) both have components for sale and the quality is perfectly satisfactory for military and police type training. Maybe not match quality (though they do make match ammo, too, I'm sure it costs more). Magyar Loszergyarto Kft. in Hungary, or any of the several Russian ammunition factories in Tula, Barnaul, Ulyanovsk, Novosibirsk and Klimovsk might also be component sources. The South Korean manufacturer that owns PMC is another possibility. I haven't dealt directly with any of these places except email with S&B which was responsive, even if in somewhat broken English. I can tell you the primers made in Tula, Russia are of exceptionally consistent performance quality, though a little harder to seat than some others.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; December 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:57 AM   #14
sfmedic

Unclenick

Sweet the serbs will be an excellent choice. I already have a trip to the Zastava folks in Priboj - Zasatava is i good one stop shop for everything from small arms to heavy weapons :-)

if this ammo thing works out I owe ya one :-)

Not to mention Beograd (Belgrade is a great place to hang out)

Ill keep ya posted - It may be a great work around to the shortages back there
Old December 6, 2012, 12:36 AM   #15
simple1

My curiosity is killing me. What was involved in getting the Camdexs to Kurdistan – what with ITAR.
And wouldn’t that (ITAR)make getting any components from CONUS too much of a pain to even hassle with?
Old December 6, 2012, 07:48 AM   #16
stnosc

Big time troll and mall ninja.

If you really were an "sfmedic", you wouldn't be posting here telling everyone your location.
Old December 6, 2012, 09:44 AM   #17
sfmedic

ok im not an sfmedic - happy now? :-)
Old December 6, 2012, 09:55 AM   #18
sfmedic

simple

1. DSP-83 (End-User Certificate)
2. Purchase Order
3. Foreign Import Certificate
4. DOS Licenses

Its perfectly legal to purchase ammo in any quantity - my problem was price - im trying to get costs down - in the grand scheme of things 10mm rnds is nothing