The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 20, 2012, 09:52 PM   #1
GlockSevenTeen

Spending more money than you want to...

Do you guys set a budget for how much money you will send on guns/accessories/etc?

The reason I'm asking is that with all the great firearms it's hard not to want to build up a collection fast and end up in some serious debt.

Forums and sites like www.lionseek.com/guns, and www.armslist.com are already getting me in trouble with the wife.
Old November 21, 2012, 01:47 AM   #2
chris in va

My finances dictate that I must sell one of my guns before buying another. Keeps my collection down to a few 'essentials'.
Old November 21, 2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Rembrandt

Many years ago I set a goal of one "nice gun" a year.....that usually ranges from $1000-to-$2000. Mow yards, do extra work and save discretionary income to achieve that mark. After 45 years of buying guns the collection is looking pretty good.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Magnum Mike

NAAA! You can't take it with you!

JK Just cut back on a few other things. I'm taking lunch to work again. That's an extra $50 a week alone. No beers after work. 3 weeks since I've gone out to dinner!

just little things add up fast!
Old November 21, 2012, 08:02 AM   #5
dwhite

Right now I have seven. They cover the range from putting down a grizzly to a carry piece. Whenever I start thinking of something new the first question is, "what do I want to accomplish?". 99% of the time I can do it with what I have.

Right now I'm thinking 1911 in .45 but would have to trade off my G22 to get one. However, I have 9 G22 mags, over 1000 bullets, 3000 cases, dies, etc. for reloading .40. Going to .45 means all that has to be replaced.

G22 shoots as good as I can. Plenty of power, big magazine capacity, easy to reload. Can convert to 9mm or 357 SIG with a drop in barrel. 1911 adds nothing but being a 1911. Even if the 1911 could shoot 2 inch groups at 50 yards, I can't.

I'll be keeping the G22.

Glad I'm over that, again!

All the Best,
D. White
Old November 21, 2012, 08:51 AM   #6
gwnorth

I factor all my expenses and spending into my budget - including firearms and accessories. Never been in debt beyond specifically calculated amounts and durations that I'd planned ahead for and would not do so for a gun any more than I would for anything else. Plan for your acquisitions and you'll never have to sell them (big difference between choosing to sell a gun, and having to - other than in a crisis like getting laid off).
Old November 21, 2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Stressfire

Depends. When I started, I bought everything that struck my fancy. That ended pretty quickly.

Then for awhile, I horse-traded ones I really didn't care for.

Now, I pretty much have all my "must have's" and am attempting to rebuild a "war chest" for the future.
Old November 21, 2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Inazone

This year has been either very good or very bad in terms of gun purchases, depending on how you look at it. I had intended to buy one or two, and will instead end up having bought five and sold/traded zero, plus being "handed down" a rifle that has been in the family for generations. I didn't really have a firm budget to begin with, but I definitely went over any amount I would have come up with if someone had asked me to throw out a number on January 1st.

That said, I paid lower-than-usual prices for everything I bought this year, although I picked a terrible time to develop an interest in .223/5.56 on account of the election.
Old November 21, 2012, 05:59 PM   #9
wpsdlrg

I used to set a budget for this....but, I always ignored it when I found something I wanted. Now, I make no budget.....but I just try to stay far away from items that I might want.

"Distance" minimizes temptation, put another way.
Old November 21, 2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Dragline45

Quote:
I picked a terrible time to develop an interest in .223/5.56 on account of the election.
All hype, "assault rifles" aren't going anywhere. Just like the last election, gun companies, ammunition companies, and the NRA all hyped this up to increase sales or memberships in the NRA's case.

Last edited by Dragline45; November 21, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old November 22, 2012, 12:30 AM   #11
DASHZNT

I try to buy a new gun every month or two months. Something different that I dont have or something i do have that i "need" another! Earlier this past year, I got into reloading and now i can shoot everything i own to my hearts content and make a thousand rounds a month of something i might need. This is an expensive hobby, but its also an investment and as long as you understand that and it gives you joy youll be fine. However, if youre trying to "prep" for something, youll go broke quickly.. guns are a part of my life, not my life! just my 2 cents worth.

DASHZNT
Old November 22, 2012, 05:54 AM   #12
geetarman

I have tried cutting back. I ended up buying a larger safe.

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 22, 2012, 07:41 AM   #13
mrt949

My shooting hobby started as fun. We all know what too much fun can cause you if you are not carefull. A safe full of guns or a house full of kids .
Old November 22, 2012, 08:16 AM   #14
dayman

I limit myself by not spending money from my primary job on guns - and definitely nothing on a credit card. I usually pick up a part time job in the summer, or occasionally do some light construction work in the evenings, and I use that money for toys.
At this point I have everything I "need", so the only thing I budget for out of my regular paycheck in 100 rounds of 9mm and 500 rounds of .22 each month.
Old November 22, 2012, 11:30 AM   #15
itchy1

I actually enjoy doing a lot of research and price comparison. I know a decent deal when I see it and will often jump on it. I don't allow myself to overspend on something "I just gotta have!". There are too many decent guns out there to get hung up on any particular brand or model. I need to add that I have a very supportive wife who loves clothes almost as much as I love guns. We typically don't hassle each other too much
Old November 22, 2012, 11:57 AM   #16
RBid

I've settled on two handguns that cover all of my handgun needs. I'm in the business now, so I handle a lot of firearms, every day. Doing so serves to remind me that there's nothing out there that I like better than my PPQ.

With long guns, I'll be methodical. I don't view them as vital for anything short of complete "violence in the streets" scenarios. My interest is almost entirely recreation. I'll take my time, and get something I really like.
Old November 22, 2012, 05:25 PM   #17
Coltman 77

My advice would be to choose your firearms very carefully and buy what you want based on quality and reliability. Don't be in a hurry.

Spend a bit more even if you have to save for awhile.

Don't try to "get a deal". They'll almost always bite you in the ass.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old November 22, 2012, 10:55 PM   #18
orionengnr

Quote:
My finances dictate that I must sell one of my guns before buying another. Keeps my collection down to a few 'essentials'.
Actually it's not that bad, but I do have other pursuits, and at my age I have enough "experience" not to put myself into debt over non-essential items.
Old November 23, 2012, 06:26 AM   #19
Keepin_Jeepin

I am getting out of other expensive hobbies (i.e. 4 wheeling) to get more guns.

Trade my 99 Wrangler for 16 guns, selling my 99 superduty with 22" of lift on 40s and will be selling my 97 Cherokee buggy on 38s next spring.

All in the name of fire power!
Old November 23, 2012, 07:57 AM   #20
highpower3006

My gun buying frequency depends on what crosses my path that interests me.

The last year has been real hard on my wallet. Two S&W .44 magnums, Colt New Service, Colt Detective Special, Colt 1911, Two Ruger single actions, Two Rock Island .45's, two Springfield '03's, a Remington '03 and '03-A3, a Smith-Corona '03-A3, a Winchester 1897 Trench Gun, a Winchester M1917 and an AR15.

I'm not married, my family is grown and gone and when I retire next year I know that there will be very little disposable income to acquire new guns. Most of the money I have used to buy new guns comes from selling things I am no longer interested in or have no further use for.
Old November 23, 2012, 08:10 AM   #21
kraigwy

I'm an "impulse buyer. I don't set out to buy a gun.

I may not buy a gun for a couple months, I might buy one tomorrow. Just depends on if something tickles my fancy.

I can't think of a nitch I can cover with what I have, but that don't stop me. If something catches my eye I buy it.

I won't borrow money to buy a gun. And my family never missed a meal because of my purchases.

My kids are grown and doing well on their own. I'm just at that stage in life where all my needs have been met. Now I buy, "just 'cause".

If I don't blow my money on guns and gun related stuff, I'll blow it on something else.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 23, 2012, 08:31 AM   #22
TheNatureBoy

Naw...I don't have a budget. If I see a firearm that I want I save up my beans and get it. The only criteria that must be met is that the funds used to make the purchase don't come out of the house $$$.
Old November 23, 2012, 08:50 AM   #23
Pianoguy

I put a set amount away every paycheck that covers ammo, range costs, etc and whatever's left goes to a new gun. When I have enough I just buy what I like at the time (since any actual needs are met) and don't get too carried away with over-analysing things. I try to buy a quality gun so I tend to spend more each time. So then it takes longer to save up for the next one which by itself limits the number of guns I end up buying. My one firm rule is that I have to have the cash for whatever I buy and never buy on credit. I'm always tempted to maybe buy two lower-end less expensive guns instead of one good one but then I end up with two guns I really don't want or need and still wanting something else.
Old November 23, 2012, 05:11 PM   #24
BigJimP

No, I don't really set a budget....but I try hard not to make foolish spur of the moment buys either...

I'm very lucky, I have everything I want in terms of handguns...way more than "a few" ...but all my bills are paid, kids are grown...and everyone needs a hobby .../and shooting and collecting 1911's and S&W revolvers is one of mine...
Old November 23, 2012, 05:25 PM   #25
nate45

Debt

I've never borrowed money to by a firearm, never will.