The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2012, 08:16 PM   #1
William T. Watts

Commercially loaded/CNC Cartridge Co.

I have two 50 round boxes of 45 ACP Ammunition loaded by CNC Cartridge Co. they were purchased at either one of the Little Rock or the Tulsa Gun shows. I've had them for a number of years and had shot only one round. I pulled them off my storage shelf and looked at them maybe for the first time and they didn't look uniform, OAL 2.005" - 2.015", the taper crimp wasn't uniform either. I randomly picked 6 rounds and pulled them down to check the charge in the cases, lowest charge of powder was 5.2grns the highest was 5.7grns. I decided to pull all the rounds down and throw the powder in the yard and start over. I guess what I want to know is this amount of variance normal for "commercially" loaded ammunition or am I being anal about this. I didn't feel comfortable after looking and especially after going over the rounds with my calipers!! I should include the powder is a flake powder similar to W231 (larger flake) and a dark grey in color. What do you think? William

Last edited by William T. Watts; January 13, 2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: information on the powder
Old January 14, 2012, 04:03 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

It's close enough to most of the commercial ammo I have analyzed.

They don't really care about perfection. It's mostly about kicking a cheap product out the door, in a condition that will function just well enough to not anger the customer.
Old January 14, 2012, 01:53 PM   #3
William T. Watts

FrankenMauser your thoughts mirror mine, I don't think CNC Cartridge Company loads ammunition any longer. I've seen an offer to sell unfired 45 acp brass on Gunbroker that is a pawnbroker that has several thousand rounds for sell that loaded commercially in the past, they may be one and the same.. William