The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 31, 2010, 08:51 AM   #1
bikerbill

Simple exercise, huge reward

I'm not a muscle guy, I'm 5-9 155 and 65 years old ... I found that as time passed, I was having a hard time getting the sights back on target after firing some of the more popular SD rounds, especially +p ... So I got a hand-wrist exerciser, one of those things you squeeze over and over ... mine are from Prohands, but you can find similar gadgets in any sporting goods store ... I started with the medium tension and am now using the heavy tension; I usually do 10-15 minutes every day while watching TV ... the difference in my performance at the range is simply amazing. The additional strength in my hands and wrists has quickened my time getting the sights back on target, made absorbing recoil far easier and has increased my accuracy by at least a factor of 5. It's one of the simplest, most effective ways I've ever found to improve accuracy ... anybody else have a similar experience? I recommend it to all my shooting friends, and have had a number thank me for the suggestion.
Old August 31, 2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Another plus is if you happen to be in the Arthritis club like a lot of us dinosaurs the workout keeps the joints working and reduces the total amount of pain, especially on cold days or if you have been doing something strenuous and then get hand cramps later. This exercise reduces that a bunch and a half.

I just use a shaped rubber grip squeezer I picked up at Sport-Mart 40 years ago and I wish I had picked up a few more to have in places like my car. Something to do while waiting in the parking lot or behind a long train or the inevitable traffic tie-ups. I keep mine on my desk and I get a feww squeezes in while waiting for something to load or a few stretches with the rubber band also on my desk. One for the grip forearm and the other for the shoulders, super important after shoulder surgery on one shoulder and trying to put off surgery on the other. For the small cost it is so beneficial it's almost unbelievable.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 31, 2010, 09:21 AM   #3
spacecoast

I've used my Lee Hand Press to deprime/resize, expand, prime and reload over 6,700 rounds in the last 9 months, and I believe it has made my hands and fingers measurably stronger.
Old August 31, 2010, 09:30 AM   #4
stephen426

I'm sure it relieves stress as well!

You might also want to consider using those gyro balls to strengthen your wrists. It is basically a ball inside a housing with a ripcord that creates resistance using gyroscpic force. It is good because the resistance is omni-directional rather than uni-directional. For overall forearm strength, you can simply drill a hole in a wooden dowel and string a rope with some weights attached. Then bring up the weight slowly by rolling the dowel forwards and then backwards.
Old August 31, 2010, 11:10 AM   #5
GeauxTide

I've been using the Extra Heavy ProHands for a couple of years and the Captains of Crush Trainer, 1, and 1.5. That's 100, 140, and 165#. Like most middle age guys, I'm getting more joint problems; however, since I got an NSD Powerball Signature Series a couple of months ago, the arthritis in my left hand and elbow, and the tendonitis in my right shoulder are gone. Even the nerve impingement from a bulging disc that caused numbness in my left index and thumb are gone. Absolutely remarkable. www.nsdball.com
Old September 4, 2010, 03:45 PM   #6
dans3kgt

How much are the NSD POWERBALLS I found somthing on ebay but I am not sure its the right one its only 20.00 does this sound about right?

Dan
Old September 4, 2010, 03:59 PM   #7
robhof

robhof

Been using an assortment of grip exercisers for years, but still get achy hand and wrist joints after shooting. I've also been taking the glucosamine pills with little relief. I tried a home remedy of gin soaked white raisens; you soak the raisens for a week at room temp and take 9 a day. I've had no joint pain after 2 weeks of the remedy, maybe it's the gin, but it's only 9 raisens and they were open for a week.
Old September 4, 2010, 07:04 PM   #8
old bear

At 60 something I'm starting to experience the past middle age slow down as well as the normal aches and pains. About a year ago I started using a 3-pound “heavy hand” held predominately in my right hand to simulate a shooting position and then working a “stress ball” throughout the day. The aforementioned has not totally stopped the aches and pains, but it has slowed them down.

Have a good and a safe Labor Day weekend all.
Old September 4, 2010, 07:27 PM   #9
orionengnr

My strategy is to ride a motorcycle year round, every day, for the last 40 years or so.
I never thought much about it until I recently took a younger co-worker shooting for the first time.

The next day he was complaining about his hands/wrists/arms. I'm sure the twice-daily workout my hands/wrists/arms get has made them the best-conditioned parts of my aging body.
Old September 4, 2010, 07:50 PM   #10
MLeake

Hand and wrist exercises

As a sub-set of training for aikido and jujutsu, I've used handgrips from Captains of Crush (CoC); I'm not a die-hard with those, and find the #1 is plenty hard enough.

There's also an exercise tool you might find at a sporting goods or martial arts store that consists of two baseball sized, dimpled balls at either set of a concentric rod pair. Tension on the rods can be adjusted; grip and twist balls in opposite directions. Good wrist exercise.

However, most of my grip exercise comes from the pull-up bar. Pull-ups and chin-ups will build grip very quickly. So will indoor rock climbing, if you have such a facility near you (first tried that at REI in Seattle, WA, years ago).

Paddling a canoe or kayak can help build grip, too.

Frankly, I like pull-ups, climbing, and paddling much better than I like squeezing grips or racquetballs. I get distracted if the exercise is too boring.

Last trip overseas, I also discovered yoga. Separate thread, I suppose, but it's helped me regain a considerable amount of range of motion in a previously injured shoulder.

Cheers,

M
Old September 7, 2010, 09:11 PM   #11
Dave R

As another option for building hand/arm strength, and relieving stress, may I recommend taking up the bass? (The instument, not the fish.)

I have found that playing bass 30 min a day or so, and the occasional 2-3 hour gig on the weekend, give me considerably above average hand & forearm strength. And the music defintely releves stress, as long as its not headbanger hard rock.
Old September 8, 2010, 10:33 AM   #12
Eagle0711

Bikerbill, thanks. We need every edge possible. Best, Lyle
Old September 8, 2010, 04:05 PM   #13
Magnum Wheel Man

so... has anyone got any negitive effects ???

I'm a manager right now, but spent 25 years working in the food ingredient manufacturing indusrty, started out stackin pallets of 50 & 100 pound bags for 12 hour shifts, 48, 60 or 72 hours a week over the years, & still had to "spell out" the packaging people most of the rest of the years after I graduated from the packaging position... my arms & legs are stronger than most... but... my joints are also worn more than most... personally for me, I'd think that too much "gripper" work could lead to a bad case of Carpo Tunnel Sydrome for me ???

curious if any others who have worked hard physical jobs most of their lives had any issues with this type of exercise ???

BTW... my rotary leather punch I use in my holster making hobby seems to offer about the same type of work out, & I can feel my tendons pretty good, if I use it too much
Old September 9, 2010, 05:25 PM   #14
g.willikers

Good results for sore and abused joints with a concoction of cherry juice extract, apple cider vinegar and honey.
Old September 10, 2010, 07:09 AM   #15
Magnum Wheel Man

drink it ... or rub it ???
Old September 10, 2010, 10:37 PM   #16
Teuthis

If you have joint damage, which you seem to have, then those types of exercises will only exaccerbate your condition. At some points, with certain types of damage, there is really nothing one can do consistently to build strength without some painfu, and prehaps damaging,l results. The best option might just be to practice with your firearm as much as you can and leave strength training alone. I get so many shots from a shooting session and I am finished. But it keeps me accurate with my shooting.
Old September 10, 2010, 11:13 PM   #17
Nnobby45

Regular visits to the gym have, I think, accomplished the same thing for me. I notice the Xtra arm strength and steadiness it provides. Simple seated bench press is what I work out on for arms and chest. Also chest and arm pull downs. Not trying to bulk up, just maintain strength. I'm also 65.
Old September 14, 2010, 07:36 AM   #18
booker_t

I've been using various grippers for decades, they're great for your hands, fingers, forearms. Helps with doing all sorts of daily tasks and more athletic endevours.

I keep one in the car, and use it almost every morning on the way to work. If you're the type to get a tinge of road rage, it's a good way to relieve that stress too!

A few tips to keep it interesting:

1) Emphasize the negative; try releasing the gripper slow and smooth, then powerfully clamp your hand back down to complete each rep.

2) Hold the gripper at 50% compressed, 90% compressed, or 100% compressed, for some duration. For example, do 20 reps, then hold it for 10 seconds, then do another 20 reps. You can create endless combinations to challenge yourself in this manner.

3) Squeeze the gripper and put a quarter between the handles. Hold it as long as you can. Keep track of your personal best on each hand and try to increase it by a few seconds each week.

4) Like with regular resistance training, strength comes from pushing yourself through discomfort and then getting adequate rest. Simply squeezing isn't enough to build strength, you need to push it to failure.

5) It's great to squeeze, but you also want to stretch. Wrap a rubber band around the tips of your fingers, it'll sit between the bottom of the nail and just above the first knuckle. Keeping your fingers rigid, expand your fingers as wide as you can, then back down so the tips are touching. It's a simple movement but you'll feel it working your fingers in a way they rarely get worked.

Cheers
Old September 14, 2010, 08:17 AM   #19
Jimmy10mm

At 61 I can say that exercise is the fountain of youth in my experience. I ride bicycles quite a bit both on and off road. The off road being technical single track and that is very good for increasing hand, wrist and upper body strength in general. Some weight training as well along with static stretching. Watch what I eat and put the plug in the jug some time ago. All good.
Old September 20, 2010, 02:55 PM   #20
Syntax360

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll just stick to the tried-and-true method of hanging more stuff off my gun. If that doesn't work, I usually just blame the sights, high bore axis, caliber, or revert to some form of the polymer vs. steel debate...
Old September 20, 2010, 10:20 PM   #21
montelores

To add to what booker_t stated, try slow exercise. If you lift weights, try fewer repetitions at a VERY SLOW pace. It is a very interesting experience and might challenge your patience as much as anything.

Also, unfold a sheet of newspaper, hold one corner in one hand, and crumple the newspaper into a small ball using just the one hand. Wash your hands afterwards - the newsprint is quite dirty.

monty