The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 9, 2012, 11:08 PM   #76
btmj

I never eat at fast food. Any restaurant worth going to usually has crowd, and sometimes a wait to be seated. I often have to make reservations if I am going at the peak hours. All of these factors reduce the opportunity to pick an ideal spot. Besides, the purpose of me being there is to enjoy the food, the drink, the ambience of the place. The best spot for enjoyment would rarely be the best spot for a tactical retreat. Now, I would object to a very bad seat that severly boxed me in or severely restricted my view. But other than that, just get me a seat, bring me my salad and the wine list... thank you.

If I go to see a movie, the whole point of being there is to SEE and ENJOY the movie. I want to sit in the spot that gives me the best view of the screen.

Like Biggun, I have, on several occasions, gotten a bad feeling about my circumstances, and in one of those circumstances, something bad happened soon after I left. Always trust that instict... 9 times out of 10 it is nothing, but that is a small price to pay for being right that 1 time out of 10, which is priceless.

Last edited by btmj; December 10, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old December 10, 2012, 02:11 AM   #77
Jammer Six

There are several things wrong with a small revolver loose in a pocket.

A good class would be in order.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:21 AM   #78
Justice06RR

In restaurants and food places, its always better to sit facing the main entrance door. I also usually request a window table if available to see outside.

In theaters, obviously at the end of the row is the best spot.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:44 AM   #79
Esox

Fire, nutjobs, it doesn't matter. One restaurant we frequent has some booths in dead end aisles, no windows or doors at the end, one way in or out. I won't sit in those aisles.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:03 PM   #80
Hook686

At home, as there really is no 'Best place' out in public. Perhaps it is better to be in a large group. I think those four officers in WA thought they were in the 'Best place'. It did them no good.

A false sense of security can be one's downfall.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old December 14, 2012, 12:22 AM   #81
David White

I prefer to have my back to the wall and a full view of the doors and windows at the front of the establishment.
I do not like to have my back to the door so I cannot see what's going on. I will request a different seat if I have to.

Situational awareness at all times!
Old December 16, 2012, 01:25 AM   #82
trublu

When I lived in Tokyo, there was a restaurant fire in which more than 40 people died. The restaurant was on the second or third floor and the fire escapes had been used for storing extra tables and chairs etc and were blocked. After that, we always made a point of checking the fire escapes before we sat down at any restaurant.

Advantages and disadvantages - is it better to be closer to the exit in case of fire or evacuation or to sit with a commanding view and a wall to your back ?

No person can watch their own back so I'd rather eat with a trusted friend...
Old January 7, 2013, 05:02 PM   #83
SgtLumpy

I'm reading a few posts that suggest "I don't want to 'think tactical' because it will ruin my enjoyment of the restaurant" or "It will make me think negatively all the time, looking for bad guys".

I contend - If you heighten your awareness, you not only keep an eye out for dangerous people and things, but you also keep an eye out for good and positive people and things.

Those people that drive around texting not only miss the pedestrians they're about to run over, they also miss the beautiful scenery, the pretty girls, the cute dogs etc.

Don't cross the street without looking for cars. Don't do anything without looking for a potential problem. That doesn't mean stay locked up in your bedroom. That means look around. ENJOY the good stuff. BE AWARE of the potential bad stuff.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 7, 2013, 09:08 PM   #84
kgpcr

I sit where ever i want without thinking about a gunman. the chances of that happening are FAR less than dying in a car crash on the way over. Yes it does happen but then again people win the lottery.
Smith M&P 40
Old January 8, 2013, 06:10 PM   #85
0351A

I haven't been to a theatre in years, they are obviously ripe for becoming kill houses. As for restaurants, not in a straight line at any distance from the front door, nor in a corner as incoming shooters eyes are often drawn to corners. Preferably with my back to the wall just outside a kitchen entrance. If the shooter comes in the front, you have an easy exit or time to engage, and if he comes from the back, the yelling and shooting from the kitchen is a good indication. That being said, I don't go out of my way to request it, unless the place is practically empty anyway.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:46 PM   #86
Archie

First...

Look around and find the exit(s).

I attempt to find a table (better than a booth as it is easier to move, and I'm just chubby enough to make a booth awkward) where I have a view of the primary entry and cashier if one exists. I prefer a location where my back is covered, but it's not always available.

In a theatre, the entry is ALWAYS to the rear. One remains flexible and observant.

Life has no guarantees aside from God; and those guarantees do not include long life and total safety on Earth. If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old February 1, 2015, 03:31 PM   #87
besafe2

Anything can happen at anytime. Honestly if I'm that worried I avoid. However I'll always set facing the door & my wife knows that
Old February 1, 2015, 09:01 PM   #88
Evan Thomas

Dunno that we need to revive a two-year old thread, here...