The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 5, 1999, 04:46 AM   #1
paltik

im practicing 'el presidente' drills with my newly built "srp" pistol....when im on my 4th run, my pistol went double tap without 'tapping' it twice...my trigger pull is maybe 3 pounds and im using the para-ord original plastic trigger...my sear is orig. colt,wilson commander hammer, when slow firing it, its OK...
What seems to be my problem? Pls. help!
My friend tells me it is the theory of the "TRIGGER BOUNCE"???
What should I do??
Thank you very much!!!

------------------
REY MARIANO
Old October 5, 1999, 07:13 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Paltik, have the trigger work redone. I see a lot of this when the work is done by the gun owners themselves or by "smiths" who really don't know what they're doing. What usually happens is that in stoning the sear/hammer they round off or change the engagement angle. It is also sometimes simply the result of someone going to a heavier recoil spring to "fix" a feeding malfunction. George
Old October 5, 1999, 08:55 PM   #3
paltik

thanks for the reply, im also suspecting the trigger, should i change it?

------------------
REY MARIANO
Old October 5, 1999, 09:02 PM   #4
Wallew

I agree with George. You can always get a new trigger, sear and disconnector. This will tell you where your problem is. Replace each part, one at a time. Only use one part at a time. You may find a combination of replacement parts are necessary, if as George suspects that the sear engagement angle has been modified. Hopefully the hammer is OK.
Old October 5, 1999, 11:13 PM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Paltik, the trigger doesn't have anything to do with this particular problem. The term is actually hammer bounce or hammer follow. It lies solely within the sear and hammer engagement. These will probably need to be replaced. What I mentioned earlier about the recoil spring is that a 2 or 3 pound pull that is perfectly safe with a 16lb spring won't stay safe very long with an 18-22lb spring. George
Old January 27, 2005, 12:17 PM   #6
Harry Bonar

George Stringer

Dear George:
You really know your stuff and give expert advice - when I see your name on a 1911 question I just shut up.
Old January 27, 2005, 06:54 PM   #7
cas

When I was a bit younger, I would shoot my dad's old bullseye gun alot. Every now and then it would double. So I thought I could fix it. And I did for about two magazines. On the third mag she went "Thump,ump,ump,ump,ump!!" with I think, the last round going off into the overhead. I looked around and quickly put the gun away.
Replaced everything. lol

Savage24.com
Cylindersmith.com