The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2000, 08:57 PM   #1
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Greetings, Just wondering if anyone here on
TFL has ever used the service's of Widener's
Reloading & Shooting Supply, INC. in Johnson
City, Tennessee? From the looks of their current catalog; looks like they have some
deals?

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old March 14, 2000, 11:21 PM   #2
Colduglandon

I have had great luck with them. They have great prices on IMI bullets and have great specials on powder and other brass and bullets.
Old March 14, 2000, 11:24 PM   #3
jim-alex

Ala Dan - Isaw your question and just had a minor episdoe with Widener's so I registered to reply. I track prices for cast lead and found theirs ok. I ordered 4,000 recently to try them (Widener's)out. I ordered 2k Remington 148 wc and 2k Star 200 lswc. They told me at time of order they were running behind on shipping about 7 days. 20 days later I received my order, got all Star no Remington. They had not responded to emails
sent asking about ship date. They also charge credit card eday of order not day of shipment. I called them and they said they would credit my card with difference between cost pf Remington versus Star. Not sure if I would order again except they are only place I know of that listed Remington wc. Jim.
Old March 14, 2000, 11:27 PM   #4
jim-alex

Good grief! Next post I need to run spell check or something. Sorry. Jim.
Old March 15, 2000, 04:19 AM   #5
capbuster

Dan, i have recieved great service from wideners over the years. i especially like the match imi 45acp brass that they carry. take care.

------------------

cliff
Old March 15, 2000, 08:03 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

Excellent service.

IMI 45ACP cases are the best available in that caliber. There are none better.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old March 15, 2000, 02:56 PM   #7
LOCHFAL

The last two times I have ordered from them have been not so good. I ordered some trimmer accessories a couple months ago and it took three weeks to get them. They were supposedly in stock. The time before I needed some bullets and was told they would not ship for three weeks but my card would be billed that day. I gave up on them. They have good prices and the right products but the service is way too slow.
Old March 15, 2000, 06:54 PM   #8
zot

do Wideners have a web site?and the .45 brass
is how much per 1,000? thanks
Old March 15, 2000, 07:34 PM   #9
jtduncan

I've bought reloading eqip from them in the past and been very happy.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
Old March 16, 2000, 12:32 PM   #10
nwgunman

I've been doing business with Wideners for years and have never had any problems. They do run a little slow on delivery sometimes, which doesn't bother me. They've got some of the best deals on components that I've found anywhere.
Old March 18, 2000, 04:39 AM   #11
YoungGun

I have requested catalog from them for three or four times already. Guest what, I don't see any of them in my mailbox. How do I suppose to trust their service? I am pretty sure I will not be one of their potential customer.

YoungGun
Old March 18, 2000, 08:45 PM   #12
rinoray

I'm with you YoungGun,
I've requested a catalog on four or five seperate occasions and have not seen one since my first request in December 99. So chances are mighty slim they'll see any $$$ from me. Customer requests are the backbone of future business. Oh well! Plenty of other relaoding businesses that need customers.
Old March 19, 2000, 09:32 PM   #13
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Thanks guy's; I appreciate all the response.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old April 9, 2000, 11:12 AM   #14
Gunrnr

Widener's can be one of the most exasperating businesses to deal with. They advertise a great selection of items and sometimes have them in stock. Doesn't matter, though, they'll take your money (or charge your credit card) and you'll wait...and wait...and wait...

I know a lot of us are spoiled by great, no, SUPER customer service by the likes of RCBS, Ruger, Dillon, and the like. Don't hold your breath with Widener's. Their attitude is, you called US, we didn't call YOU!

As for their website, it's the worst I've ever wasted my time on. Don't take my word for it, next time your melatonin fails to kick in, peruse their 19th century technological masterpiece for yourself.

I won't cut off my nose despite my face, I make about one order every third year from them, because they do have a few good deals (especially on .223 bullets and a couple of other items), but otherwise I'll save myself a lot of hassle and patronize companies who remember who keeps them in business.

------------------
Old April 9, 2000, 01:58 PM   #15
Svt

http://www.wideners.com/
They have excellent prices but VERY SLOW when it comes to shipping orders. If you want something in a hurry, don't bother. If you're gonna order from them, keep in mind it'll be between 7-10 days before you get your order AT THE EARLIEST. Great to deal with if you don't mind waiting. Personally, I'll stick with T&T Reloading or midway.

1911 Forum