The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Kirkpatrick

Same head stamp, once fired brass

I have recently found a couple of sites where they sell once fired pistol brass, all with the same head stamp. I've seen Blazer, Federal, Speer, RWS, and Winchester. The prices on the brass are all close to each other.

Is one brand of brass superior to the others. Do certain brands reload more before wearing out? I mostly load .40 S&W and .45 acp and use Berry's plated bullets. I try my best to make ammo that is superior for more than just plinking. If it makes any difference, which brand of brass would you choose and why?
Old December 30, 2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Shootest

I find little difference in handgun brass, with the slight edge going to Winchester. Including all varieties, WCC, WW, and Win, they just out last others.
Old December 30, 2012, 05:07 PM   #3
jepp2

Quote:
Do certain brands reload more before wearing out?
I think wearing out is more of a function of how hot you load and what you fire them in.

For .45 acp, any you listed should last a long time.

For the 40 S&W if you load hot and fire in a barrel that is unsupported, you will have much shorter brass life.

I do have preferences, but it tends to vary by caliber. So I might like Speer in one caliber and not in another. Handgun brass can last so long, I don't mind paying new price. YMMV
Old December 30, 2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Kirkpatrick

The .40 s&w is being (mostly) shoot out of a Springfield XD, I typically load about 10% below max, no hot loads or plus +P.

When I first started reloading a couple of years ago, I got some once used mixed brass. The more I've read, I see people posting about the importance of sorting head stamps (maybe they are primarily referring to rifle brass). Anyway, I though I would give the same head stamp a try and see if it works out.

I know it may not matter much, but between the brass, the, primers, the bullets, the powder and the gun, I like for me to be the weak link, not the materials.

Thanks
Old December 30, 2012, 08:31 PM   #5
jepp2

Given those parameters, I wouldn't worry about sorting.

Rifle brass is something totally different. More pressure, more variation in sizing, more potential for head separations, more need to anneal cases, etc.
Old January 1, 2013, 05:55 PM   #6
lah2420

For my plinking/target shooting, I don't sort except by large or small primer. And I have a friend who will trade me large primer cases for small primer cases in 45 acp. As far as performance, I haven't noticed any differences shooting mixed head stamps in my .45 or my 9mm. I just inspect to make sure the cases are good as I process them.
Old January 1, 2013, 09:37 PM   #7
hoffbill

Same here. I load lots of 9mm practice ammo and have noticed no difference in brass. I just clean it, load it and shoot it. Pick it up along with whatever else is laying there. That is for combat accuracy. If one were loading for some type of precision shooting perhaps it would matter.
Old January 1, 2013, 09:52 PM   #8
chris in va

I've found Federal to be excessively soft. Sometimes while seating, the bullet just slides in with little force.

S&B on the other hand is quite stout. Not my favorite.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:20 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

For pistol brass as long as it is boxer primed, not steel, or aluminum. I load them, unless it has a crimped primer pocket. If so those go to the scrap brass can. I have so many that are not crimped it is not worth the effort to remove the crimps.

For rifle some get sorted by head stamp if they are for utmost accuracy. (They get more prep work done to them as well.) Others I load with a load I worked up for use in mixed brass. Difference at 100 yards with me shooting is not that different at all. Though it gives me something to do when I am bored.