The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 27, 2012, 07:32 PM   #1
Nathan

Help with Star Firestar Action

Hello. I just took possession of a Star Firestar M40. Looks like a good gun. When safety checking it, I found 2 concerns.

The first was that the hammer wouldn't move back when the safety was engaged. I worked with it some and that seems to be working fine. A good cleaning will make it better.

The second is that is has a weird thumb safety function. When I pull the trigger, with the thumb safety on safe, it moves free as expected. If I keep the trigger pulled and lower the safety, the gun fires. Is this right? Is this the normal operation for other guns with a safety which when activated, allows the trigger to move freely. This may not really be a concern. If I pull on the trigger of my 1911, while disengaging the safety, it will fire also. hmmmm. . . .
Old January 28, 2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Nathan

Any Star owners who can tell me if your operates the same?
Old January 28, 2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Slopemeno

The Firestar safety actually cams the hammer slightly up, away from the sear. So I suppose that if you were to do as you are saying, pulling and holding the trigger while disengaging the safety that yes, it would fire.
Old February 13, 2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Nathan

Question 2: Does your mag safety keep the mag from ejecting?
Old February 16, 2012, 02:44 AM   #5
Nathan

Anyone??
Old February 16, 2012, 02:55 AM   #6
Slopemeno

Some guns with magazine safeties can have this issue, such as the Browning Hi Power. The early Glocks didn't drop free even though they didn't have a mag safety.

So- magazines that don't drop free aren't anything new. Here's the technique I was taught for dealing with that:

You shoot the gun dry and got to slide lock or drop the hammer on an empty chamber. Draw your spare mag in your weak hand and hit your mag release. Bring the spare mag up so the top of the mag is about 4"-6" above the bore, and sweep down, catching the "toe" of the spent magazine with heel of the new mag, stripping the spent mag from the weapon. Insert the fresh mag and drop the slide/charge the weapon.

Done right it's a quick down/up move.
Old February 16, 2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Nathan

Good idea. I have tuned it enough that it will drop free if I push the button and shake the gun once as I push the button. <-- bad description!

Also, I detail stripped and cleaned yesterday. Fun!!!

The ejector is loose, but the design seems like it should be tighter. The gun ran 100% with like 30 rounds the other day, but I don't see how it can be 100% with 500 rounds this way.

Is yours loose? Like it rattles when you shake the gun? Not sure how the case hits it consistently! any thought?
Old February 17, 2012, 12:55 AM   #8
Slopemeno

It wasn't mine, just a fellow shooters gun that I shot a practice match with.

Yes, they rattle, but that doesn't tell you anything. Vertical fit of the barrel is more important, plus, let's remember the sights are mounted to the slide.

Keep in mind it's not a target gun- it's a carry/defensive piece. it's plenty accurate for the job.
Old February 17, 2012, 12:00 PM   #9
Nathan

Sorry, I was still speaking ejector only when talking about looseness.