The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 30, 2011, 09:49 AM   #1
turbodog77

Momma's gun

well it was a nerve racking day yesterday. finally got my family heirloom, came with a heavy tag price. I couldn't bare taking photos last night in the state it was in. After some linseed oil, thanks guys it looks much better today, and talking out loud to my mom.
I am a little superstitious. I got almost home wind picked up, thunderstorms, across the sky lightening. Then, I took it upstairs at bedtime, put it againist the door molding even pushed on it a little to make sure it couldn't fall. No sooner did I close my eyes it goes flying the opposite way and landed heavily stuck behind a small stand. I hope that's a sign it is her orginal gun ! LOL!!
I am going to add some pics. Now bear in mind my research says it was made in 1938. I am upset however as I am getting it I turn it over and it has a substaintial crack on the pump underneath, of course I am sure doesn't affect it's performance.
I can't wait to get the chance to shoot it. Spent an entire day trying to find shells. I got a few slugs and some quail shots.
I am just happy it's in my possession and it's not going anywhere. Be easy on the photos, the rain is terrible here, their dark and the gun has been well used by my mom. The gun has most likely bagged an estimated 52 deer. And an educated guess on squirrels and ducks her other hobby- 156 squirrel about 104 ducks and I think she bagged some wild turkeys for about 15 yrs so it is well loved. I think her father gave it to after graduation. Her last deer bagged at the age of 73 yrs old. xxxxooooo momma![IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old September 30, 2011, 09:50 AM   #2
turbodog77

no pic luck on photobucket
Old September 30, 2011, 09:52 AM   #3
turbodog77

[ATTACH][ATTACH]shotgun 015.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shotgun 013.jpg (243.5 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg shotgun 018.jpg (252.3 KB, 94 views)
Old September 30, 2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

When I saw the title, I KNEW what this thread was about.....

Glad you got it home. A couple things...

Any shotgun made before WWII deserves a checkover by a competent smith.

With the amount of use you cite, this certainly has earned some attention and TLC.

Had I a venerable Model 12, I'd send it to either Simmons Guns or Nu Line for the lookover.

Unless there's more damage then the pics show, I'd skip restoration and go with conservation.

And I'd hunt with it in Mom's memory.

That shotgun has Soul.......
Old October 1, 2011, 06:05 AM   #5
turbodog77

thank you :)

that's it
yeah, I am worried about it before shooting. I have been looking at it again thinking hmmmm..... where should I take it. We have a gunsmith in town. I hear he is not a nice guy. "The Firing Pin" so not sure who I can rely on.
I haven't called another guy going out of town. But, I have heard he is a nice person by a couple so he might be the next stop.
I have shells awaiting

Also, kind of nervous to shoot it still bc like I said before it was a gun that she wouldn't even let one of us pick up. She would always say if you want to look at a shotgun just pick up the 20, which never hardly was shot LOL!

If I can ever get any pics of her gun which do exist one day, it would be nice to start a specific album but that was stolen from me as well. don't get family!

Sure can't wait to be able to enjoy it. It's worthy of shooting again
thanks!
Old October 1, 2011, 06:07 AM   #6
turbodog77

If I can ever get any pics of her gun which do exist one day, it would be nice to start a specific album but that was stolen from me as well. don't get family!

I mean, they are of her and many kills. The gun memories would be nice
Old October 1, 2011, 11:24 AM   #7
jrothWA

What county in Michigan?

Bachelder's in Grand Rapids is well spoken of, Williams Gunsight in Davison is good.

Johnson's GUn in Adrian.

Is the wood on the slide cracked? Wenig's gunstocks out of Missouri, is a good source for replacements.

Go to wwwshotgunworld.com and post there regarding good M12 smiths???
Old October 1, 2011, 12:16 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

Quote:
it has a substaintial crack on the pump underneath,
Is it possible that it isn't a crack but a cut made on the inside of the fore-end to allow the wood to expand and contract?
Old October 1, 2011, 01:24 PM   #9
turbodog77

crack

there is a crack under the pump. This is normal? that very well could be to keep it from expanding. never really thought of that.
I am not sure. I never remember it but you know I might of never knew it was there do to the fact, she wouldn't let anyone touch it.

The stock is nice but someone has had something on it and or was in a gun case with sunshine coming in. She did have a gun case near the window with a glass front.
I would have to remove all the old stuff then reapply oil to see the result. But, it's not cracked at all. Very fine wood. I only see one surface scratch that has been there for a long time looks like but other then that the gun is great for it's age.

Just would like someone to look at it before I shoot it. Can't wait I am really excited.

thanks guys