The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 28, 2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Bills_SNAFU

Searching for WW2 Mauser HSc info

Hello,
I've got a Mauser HSc that my Dad brought back from the war and I would like to find some information for it.

The Mauser is in very good condition. The last gun shop owner to see it said 90-95%, that was a long time ago and it's in the same condition. All original with matching numbers and no import marks.

At the time the gunsmith saw it he looked up the serial number and said it was rare, I don't recall why, someone told me Swill Contract. I was wondering if someone here could give me more information, a possible value on it and what Swiss Contract may be and why that would make it rare.

I'm not an expert so my wording may be off.
The marking on the pistol are:
Eagle over N right side of trigger guard
Eagle over L left side of trigger guard
Left side of slide, Mauser-Werke A.G. Oberndorf a N Mod.HSc Kal. 7.65mm
Ser#844208 on front of grip.

It hasn't been fired in 40 years that I know of and looks like it hasn't been fired too much before that.

Any information would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks

Old August 28, 2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

It appears to have Nazi markings on it -- the two eagles, which makes it unlikely that it was made as part of a contract for the Swiss.

Guns make for the Swiss would have a cross and shield marking denoting Swiss ownership. Something like this, but without the red coloration:

Lacking that, I sincerely doubt the gun ever saw Switzerland.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 28, 2008, 03:45 PM   #3
Hkmp5sd

To state the obvious, it would appear to have been manufactured at Mauser-Werke AG, Oberndorf am Neckar, Germany during the Nazi years leading up to and including WWII.

The "Swiss Contract" thing comes from the Blue Book of Gun Values having a listing as "Swiss Commercial" with a serial number range of 800,000 to 900,000 and the notation "Very Rare" in the description. All HSc's owners with a serial number in that range initially think (or wish) this is their gun as it adds about $1000 to the value. This gun is probably valued around $450 given its condition.
Old August 28, 2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Bills_SNAFU

I thank you for the information, anything else anyone could ad would be great. I'm not concerned with the value as much as the history.

I'm not sure but it seems "Swiss Contract" implies they Swiss were manufacturing weapons for the German war machine. I didn't know that, I thought they were neutral in the war. I guess they idea of neutral meant profiteering.

Old August 28, 2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Tom2

Whoa better edit the first post. You got "Swill contract" in there and that really left me with Still if it has German WW2 markings it is a collectable and prices might be 450, they might be higher if a seller is trying to test the waters of the outside of the price range. They are a quite impressive looking design. For me though, shooting them is not so pleasant an experience due to the slide hammer bite and the heavy trigger with the extreme curvature. But be that as it may, probably most collectors would not fire it anyway and keep it as an ultra modern looking military pistol from the 40's. It is historical.
Old August 28, 2008, 07:25 PM   #6
RJay

Swiss contract does not mean the Swiss made them, it means the Swiss contracted for them. And yes, being neutral means never having to say you're sorry for making money. The neutral countries sold what ever to both sides. Sweden for example sold vast amounts of both raw and finished products to both sides. In a Swedish port, there could be an American and a German ship side by side loading ballbearings for each countries war effort. That's what neutral means. not taking sides, it's simply the nature of the beast. They weren't in the wrong for doing so, the US has done the same in the past.
Old August 29, 2008, 07:42 AM   #7
Bills_SNAFU

A lot of very good information, thank you.
I didn't know about the Swiss Contract thing and apparently had it reversed. Thanks to all that took the time to write.