The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2007, 04:04 PM   #1
ShootingNut

New to Reloading

Appreciate any help. Going to load .40 SW 175 Gr. SWC using Hodgdon's
Titegroup powder. They do not list a load, for a lead SWC. Is one safe using the 175 grain load for a jacketed bullet? Going with the "starting load" of
4.2 grain powder listed for the Hornady XTP 175 Grain?
Contacted Hodgdon, and their reply was "lead bullets create more pressure", no suggestions for a suitable load though. As many jacketed bullets are not jacketed on the casing end (lead exposed), what is the differance?
Thanks in advance!
Old February 25, 2007, 04:36 PM   #2
rwilson452

It's not the lead on the end that counts. It's the bearing surface that counts. that is the part of the bullet that rides on the rifleing. If you start your charges on the low end and work up you should not have a problem. IF you see signs of pressure you should know to back off some.
Old February 25, 2007, 05:00 PM   #3
ShootingNut

rwilson452

Thanks, what you posted makes sense to me, this is how I hope to learn about reloading, from folk's like you.
Best regards,
Old February 25, 2007, 05:20 PM   #4
TEDDY

40cal

if you have a glock or pologonal rifling be careful of leading
Old February 25, 2007, 05:25 PM   #5
ShootingNut

teddy,

Thanks for the warning, I have the S&W MP 40 and have not expierenced any major leading at all, love the gun. Son has a PX4 40 and has found the same. I have much to learn, but some think shooting jacketed becomes more of a problem cleaning? At least the "lead heads" are less costly for target shooting.
Regards,
Old February 25, 2007, 09:46 PM   #6
Trapper L

ShootingNut, as I remember, Titegroup is not suggested for loads with lead bullets. It burns too hot (flame front is too hot)and will cause leading of the barrel. Might want to consider a different powder. I use Accurate #5 in my 9mm, 40 SW, and 45 ACP for lead and jacketed loads. It seems to be a great all around powder and I get fabulous groups from it. I also shoot in my 40, the Rainier 135 gr HPs for plinkers. They don't lead the barrel and cleanup is easy. In my 40 they shoot under an inch at 25yds from bags. The 175 SWC is a little on the heavy side for plinkers and you may have issues with the SWC loading from the clip. It will depend on if the gun likes them or not. I avoid all SWCs in an auto type weapon.
Youir mileage may vary,
Trapper
Old February 26, 2007, 07:58 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Trapper,
Are you sure the AA#5 is not as hot? Although not apples to apples here, I usually use #2 for my 9mm and #5 for some .40 and .45. I ask because I thought along with being a fast burning powder, especially #2, the #5 would be fast and hot.
Can you explain?
I'm asking to learn as well; not to me a smart alek.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 26, 2007, 09:19 PM   #8
Trapper L

Titegroup is a double based powder. Almost all double based powders will have a much hotter flame front and transfer more heat to a pistol as well as to the bullet. Titegroup is also position sensitive for the light loads and is also temperature extreme sensitive. Even with all of that, some folks just love it. Hopefully, I can find the article I read about this particular powder causing leading in a barrel, not related to lead bullet composition.
The AA#2 is real close to Titegroup on the burn charts. AA#5 is considerably slower and more like Unique. Here is a chart for your reading:
http://www.frfrogspad.com/burnrate.htm
Old February 26, 2007, 09:54 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Good chart. That's what I meant, though. The #2 is right under the tightgroup. Is AA a single base, then?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 27, 2007, 07:03 PM   #10
ShootingNut

Trapper L

Thanks for your insight, did some online research on Accurate #5 and felt you are correct. So, picked some up today, will feel confident loading our
.40's at about 5.5 gr with a 180 Grain TC. Would you agree with my load, have to kinda split load as between the chart with the lead bullet grain.
Want enough load for a solid FPS, and yet not a "hot load" either. Believe in
staying within the powder chart range is best.
Regards,