The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 28, 2006, 10:37 PM   #1
Coltlover

Golden State Arms Santa Fe Model 1944

I have a Golden State Arms Santa Fe Model 1944; does anyone know where to get extra Magazines for this weapon? I have the factory one in great condition but would like another.

Does anyone know if there is a larger capacity mag other than the 5 round factory mag?

Thanks in advance.
Old December 30, 2006, 05:07 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

OK, I give up. What is the Golden State Arms Santa Fe Model 44 when it isn't in disguise? Golden State bought milsurp rifles and worked them over into "sporters" or built guns from surplus parts and gave them model numbers that today don't mean much. A picture or better description will be needed.

Jim
Old December 30, 2006, 06:27 PM   #3
Coltlover

Here is one site

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~stra...taFeRifles.htm

THis is what i have.

http://enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/sp3.htm
Old December 30, 2006, 08:24 PM   #4
UniversalFrost

You can get mil surp 10 rounders for them. Just look for no1 or no 4 enfield magazines on the usual places or ebay, gunbroker, etc... I picked up a new enfield no 4 magazine off ebay for about 15 bucks. It is a completely new magazine that has a square instead of rounded bottom. The thing had a few feed issues until I tweaked the lips and it works great.

Just a quick question: Is yours still in .303 brit or did they convert it to something else (have seen .308, 45/70, even .45ACP). Just curious. If it is not in the factory .303 brit the mag follower may give you problems with the last couple rounds if you are using a mil spec mag based on the .303 brit

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old December 30, 2006, 08:54 PM   #5
Coltlover

As far as I know it is a .303 I sure hope so... I just bought 60 rounds to try it out. My uncle died and left me about seven guns. All of which I have fired except this one.
Old December 30, 2006, 09:38 PM   #6
UniversalFrost

If it still is in the .303 brit then that would be good. I personally love my Enfield’s. I am a fan of the good old slow but reliable round.

I lost count at how many deer I have taken with my Enfield’s. The .303 is a good 150 yard and under round, but is still effective at 300 yards depending on the gun.

Here are some pics of one of my no. 4 Enfield’s I saved from some bubba who tried to sporterize it.

Before:
(not me in the background)
After:

Started out as an old and weary No.4 Mk I Enfield that had been sporterized before I bought it. After purchasing it for around $100 I added a side mounted scope mount and a
Simmons 44 mag scope (the pic shows an old crappy tasco I had lying around before the simmons arrived). Now a nice scout model Enfield. The stock was replaced with a synthetic Monte Carlo style stock from ATI and bolt/firing pin spring were replaced with
a 20# BlitzSchnell spring. Both were purchased from Brownells. The barrel was not true so it was shortened to remove the bad section and the original blade sight was replaced with a high visibility fiber tipped blade. The metal was then parkerized. Black teflon match grade trigger from huber (with improved creep control). Still uses the 10 round mags (not shown), but I bought some new aftermarket mags on midway that are nice and easy feeding but kinda squarish.

Great gun

Old December 30, 2006, 10:21 PM   #7
Coltlover

Great looking rifle, I like the stock. This may be the next rifle I fix up. For fun I just put a muzzelight FRP bull pup stock on my Mini 30.

I will have to take a few pictures of mine Enfield and post them soon. This thing looks all original except it has a Redfield peep hole style sight on it. A little cutting into the furniture to accommodate it. I cannot wait to go out and shoot this rifle and the mini 30.

Thanks for the info I have found a few places that have the mags already. Some are a little pricey 35.00.

Now the no. 1 will fit as well as the no.4 in this rifle?

Last edited by Coltlover; January 2, 2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old December 30, 2006, 10:25 PM   #8
UniversalFrost

Yes, but some have issues. Best bet is to look for one mad for the no. 4 first. If you can get a no.1 a lot cheaper go for it.

Old December 30, 2006, 10:30 PM   #9
UniversalFrost

Here are the mags I got from midway for 21.99 and the same style like one I got off eBay for 15.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=885966

Old December 30, 2006, 10:45 PM   #10
Coltlover

Right on thanks for the help i knew someone would have an idea on here. You gotta love this site. what other types of guns to you own?

http://www.ammoclip.com/E/enfield%204_mk1.htm

here are the no 1's, that pro mag is in there.
http://www.ammoclip.com/E/enfield_1_mkiii_smle.htm
Old December 30, 2006, 10:58 PM   #11
UniversalFrost

My "arsenal" is ever expanding.

I have everything from an antique brown bess to a soon to be finished custom heavy bench remington 700 in .338 lapua.

Mostly I have remington 700's (everything from SPS, ADL, BDL , CDL, titanium, and PSS's and will soon be adding an LTR).

The pride and joy of my collection is a NIB M25 White feather and my fathers original all numbers matching M1 carbine from WWII.

Guns are both addictive and an investment (depending on which you have).

Welcome to TFL and welcome to the world of the .303brit

Old December 31, 2006, 01:58 AM   #12
Coltlover

Wow a bit of a bolt action man. Sounds like a great collection. Again Thanks for your all your help.
Old December 31, 2006, 08:01 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

From the pictures, the Santa Fe Model 44 was a sporterized Rifle No. 4, so you should order magazines for the No. 4. Magazines for the Rifle No. 1 probably won't work right, and magazines for the Indian Rifle 2 certainly won't.

Jim
Old January 2, 2007, 01:26 AM   #14
Coltlover

Jim thanks here is my rifle

I hope this works here is my no. 4

Last edited by Coltlover; January 4, 2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old January 13, 2007, 08:50 PM   #15
Coltlover

Yes it is a 303

Yes it is a 303. I put a few holes through a 1/4" steel plate from about 100 yards out, but so did my steel tip 5.56. i will post pic's soon. thanks for all the help
Old January 13, 2007, 09:10 PM   #16
RJay

Remember,the SMLE was never designed for the use of quick change magazines. The Brits never carried a basic load in magazines such as for the M-16 or M-14, The rifles were fed from stripper clips. The average wartime SMLE user only carried one magazine, the one in his rifle.
Old January 14, 2007, 01:22 AM   #17
UniversalFrost

Yeah and if you don't know how to stack the rounds correctly in the single stack clips, then it is a pain in the rear to get them to feed later in the mag. I got lucky by buying a bunch of mil surp rounds already on stripper clips so I saw first hand how to load correctly. I ended up getting another mag for my no. 4 because I added a scope mount prevented me from using the stripper clips.

Old January 19, 2007, 11:50 PM   #18
Coltlover

you know the mag holds 7 rounds not five.
Old January 21, 2007, 09:48 AM   #19
Mic40cal

Sante Fe Model 1945

I was give a Golden State Arms, Sante Fe Model 1945 rifle by my father. I have had the rifle for several years and just now became curious as to the details of it and it's value. Can anyone help with some information about this model?
Old March 16, 2007, 12:09 AM   #20
steffco

Coltlover,
You would not happen to have a part# for that peepsite would you.
I just picked one of these up and need to replace the rear site and like your setup.
Thanks