The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 7, 2008, 01:32 PM   #26
jhgreasemonkey

Wow I envy you guys in southern states with your enormous deer populations and multiple deer limits. In Washington state you are allowed one Buck per season. A few lucky guys are the winners of a doe tag drawing or a second deer drawing.
I am mostly geared up already. But this year I am getting into loading my own ammo and will be making my own 30-06 loads. Hopefully I will find a suitible candidate of the cloven hoof species to test one on.
Scorch. I have traveled the 8 hours to the town of Republic Wa near the Canadian border to hunt these last 4 years. Last year my partner and I took a nice 4x4 muley. Where abouts are ya heading?
Old August 7, 2008, 03:42 PM   #27
sc928porsche

I am set up for Mule and elk in Idaho with a side trip to AK for big brown. Will use my 378wby in AK and 300wm in ID.
Old August 7, 2008, 04:56 PM   #28
MeekAndMild

Quote:
Who all is gearin' up for Huntin' season?
I was finished with my spring land clearing and grass planting in April. I'll put in oats, rye grass, red tops, clover and winter peas some time between Labor Day and mid September.

But this year there will be so many acorns the deer will be so fat they'll roll around like bowling balls instead of walking.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old August 7, 2008, 09:07 PM   #29
indy245

I just finished my blind at the end of the field, right where the Elk bed down and feed. Anticipating......"There is no terror in a bang; only in the anticipation of it." - Alfred Hitchcock

Good luck on the hunt all7frogs, with that long of a drive I hope it works out. (6-7 hours from Fort McMurray to Grand Prairie/Peace River area?)

Last edited by indy245; August 7, 2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old August 7, 2008, 10:21 PM   #30
shortwave

Three years ago I cleared and planted a clover field up in middle of thick woods. The deer activity has been off the hook and I`ve taken some nice ones in and around there. This year I hope to be special though. Went up to mow about a month ago and in one area about 30yds/30yds was the biggest piles of deer dung I`ve seen in my 35 yrs. of hunting. These piles were as big as baseballs. Some old some new. This deer is a regular. Saw him through glasses the other night and he`s un-explainable. As far as I could see(as even through glasses he was far away and head bobbing up and down eating) he`s in the high teens and a drop tine on right side. He has a huge body. Its everything I can do to keep myself outa their for now. You guys can bet if I get really lucky I`ll take time to learn how to post pictures of him to show you. Can`t wait till bow season.
Old August 8, 2008, 10:28 AM   #31
davlandrum

Pistol scope mounted and dialed in as of yesterday.

I bought a new SW .460 from WildAlaska this year to hunt deer with (replacing my rifle). Mounted a used Leupold 2.5x8 on it.

Yesterday at the range: 10 out of 10 in a 6" circle at 100 yds off-hand. Ready to hunt.

I lobbed a few at 200 yds off the bench, but am not even close to hunting good yet past 100.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old August 8, 2008, 08:27 PM   #32
Big_Charlie

At 32, I'm still a newbie to hunting. I was a city boy until 2005 when we moved to the sticks and just started hunting last year. Now I can't wait for this year's season to start! My second child will be born just about 2 or 3 weeks before the season opens. I figure if I'm awake at 3am anyway, I might as well head out into the woods with a rifle...right? I'm lookin' to buy a used Marlin 336 this year, maybe an 1895G next year. Gotta' space out the purchases or the wife gets tickey.

Here in Western KY, you get 1 antlered and 1 antlerless on the standard permit and no bag limit on antlerless as long as you keep buying bonus antlerless deer permits.

I'm thinking about asking one of the guys at my church to take me turkey hunting in December too. My kid should be born right around the time of the October turkey weekend, so it definitely won't be that one.

Big Charlie
Old August 8, 2008, 09:40 PM   #33
elkman06

Not sure how many do this.... I just got done canning a bunch of last years' elk and am currently smoking some summer sausage and jerky to take for the 3-4 weeks I will be elk and deer hunting. Tomorrow I plan to set the tent up and seal it.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old August 8, 2008, 09:51 PM   #34
MeekAndMild

Quote:
Wow I envy you guys in southern states with your enormous deer populations and multiple deer limits.
Trouble is that Montana Bambi is a whole lot bigger than Mississippi Mossyhorns. Biggest deer I ever shot down here only got me 65 pounds of meat. You'll see dogs bigger than most southern whitetails so that's why we go huntin for a mess of em.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old August 8, 2008, 10:37 PM   #35
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I see averages on run of the mill meat kills of 135-160 pounds hoof weight.
Upon doing the math... If a floridian hunts all zones bow, muzzle loader and rifle, buck and doe each day of season he can kill (must have to give away to friends and family) 150-200 deer. I am looking to put 500-600 pounds in freezers.
Brent
Old August 9, 2008, 07:21 AM   #36
shortwave

As the average goes, you divide deer into thirds. Two thirds waste(head,organs,bones etc.) third meat.Hogdogs, 500-600 lbs. of freezer venison translates into ALOT of 160lb. hoofweight deer. When in the world do you have time to work?
Old August 9, 2008, 09:11 AM   #37
KEN K

Hunting is a year round job. In the off season we have to build stand and do up keep then planting food plots clearing shooting lanes and on and on. This year I'll miss opening week due to a buffalo and pheasant hunt in old my home state of S. D. then back home to Ga. for a few months of whitetail. Some where along the line I guess I better set time aside to go buy another freezer, the buffalo will take one on it's own. Yea I know their not buffalo, they'r bison but in S. D. they call them buffalo like in the song were they roam.
You'r right about those birds being hard to hit than a hog, not only are they a lot smaller but they fly too. I hope I can still hit a few it's bee yearts since I unloaded on a pheasant.

Last edited by KEN K; August 9, 2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: P S to bswiv
Old August 9, 2008, 10:48 AM   #38
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Work is a dirty four letter word...
I keep a bit more meat than many guys. I keep neck meat, rib meat... basically if it is meat I keep it. But I figure 15-20 deer would be nice and ideal but will settle on what I get. Just trying to feed the family for less $$$.
Brent
Old August 10, 2008, 12:59 AM   #39
jhgreasemonkey

15-20 deer? Man that sounds like a lot of fun!
Old August 10, 2008, 10:59 AM   #40
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Getting the deer cleaned and chilled is alot of work... but I only hunt for the food so it is all worth it. My WMA (Eglin AFB) won't sell the pass until their new fiscal year so I have to wait until the end of August or september to scout. I hope to go in from a boundary fence to hunt "backside" of where the sport hunters will be. I have an advantage... I ain't skeered of swamps and snakes and don't need to drive up to a tree to put up a stand.
Brent
Old August 10, 2008, 12:46 PM   #41
JAXX

I'm anxiously awaiting Oct 1. That is the opening day for general Elk season up here. Will be hitting the Beartooths early that morning, maybe cruise down into Sunlight Basin as well. Gettin the ponies all geared up as well. They need to get in shape for hunting just like you or I do. Picking up Bull Elk tags over the counter for less than 50 bucks...........man I love living in Wyoming!
Old August 14, 2008, 11:21 AM   #42
Hayduke

I got some chopper time in at work last week and the pilot was a hunter as well. We passed over eight bulls grazing in a meadow and work had to hold for a few minutes so we could circle them a few times. I felt like doing the pee pee dance. It's getting colder here in Gunnison and the kokanee are starting to run. Can't wait for hunting season. Don't know what the limits are in Colorado but one elk is all my wife and I need.