The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 18, 2012, 09:34 AM   #1
unknwn

"...nearly as much as (input your preferred precious metal)..."

Well folks, the asking price for Old Army s has reached a new high (low in my book though) , here is someone who finds himself willing to plant a price tag in excess of $400 for an adjustable sight s.s. model that is missing it's cylinder.
http://www.gunsamerica.com//95345967...STEEL.htm?wl=1
I't bad enough that ezamples in OK condition regularly sell in excess of $500, but to see one missing a $200 part being fielded for that much makes me glad that I got both of mine before things got crazy.
Old December 18, 2012, 10:58 AM   #2
arcticap

There's people that buy them mostly for collecting.
Someone told me that they bought 18 of them within the past year, and several were the much sought after 5.5 inch SS models.
And I think that he's still looking for more of them.
However, collectors rarely pay top dollar for an incomplete used gun.
If someone already had an extra cylinder or a conversion cylinder then they might like to make an offer for it.
At least Guns America lets a buyer make an offer to a seller.
Old December 18, 2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Watch it for a while....

See if it sells.

I have an ECHO press for which I would like to trade a 2004 BMW Z4.

But I am not holding my breath.
Old December 18, 2012, 12:45 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

He certainly isn't giving it away. Thank goodness for Kirst cylinders but that's another couple hundred bucks.
Old December 18, 2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Pahoo

Just when you thought it couldn't get crazier !!

Quote:
Someone told me that they bought 18 of them within the past year, and several were the much sought after 5.5 inch SS models.
I was following a 5.5" SS, in GB and the bid ended at over, $1100.00. Here is the good part, the bid did not hit the reserve. Guess that it should be showing again ..

Be Safe !!!
Old December 18, 2012, 06:52 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Hmmm . . . I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I want to sell too . . . and it's in pretty good shape . . . . not missing any parts.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 18, 2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I want to sell too . . . and it's in pretty good shape . . . . not missing any parts.
I've seen it, it needs paint.
Old December 18, 2012, 07:32 PM   #8
Beagle333

I haven't been impressed by them yet (and thusly bitten by the bug)....
I guess I should look for an old rusty beater that will still shoot and get one and see if I like it and if so, then can save some coin and try to find a stainless one for a keeper/shooter.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:15 PM   #9
arcticap

A lot of folks just aren't interested in buying a blue Ruger Old Army, they will only buy a stainless one.
But when it comes to buying a Remington 1858, not many folks seem to mind buying a blue one at all.
And then among the stainless ROA's, there's the satin finish and the high polish finish which is less common and more desirable to many.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
when it comes to buying a Remington 1858, not many folks seem to mind buying a blue one at all.
I prefer blued.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:18 PM   #11
arcticap

I prefer the much lower price of the blue 1858's.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:29 PM   #12
North East Redneck

I have a stainless ROA. 7.5 adjustable rear sight. Very nice. Got it last spring for ~$500. Also have an 1858 ASM, its blued and is in decent condition. For value, (and I really like it) the ROA wins by a longshot. As to shooting, I think the cheap '58 is great. Paid somewhere around $180 for that one. The prices being asked for the ROA and the prices being paid appear to be a bit different. I could list an once of silver for $100 on ebay. If someone buys it, that's their problem. There are still some deals on the ROA. Gotta find the right seller with the right gun for you.
Old December 19, 2012, 09:32 PM   #13
B.L.E.

Well, Ruger isn't making any more ROAs but the feds are definitely printing more dollars.

It's not that ROAs are getting more valuable, it's that a dollar bill isn't worth 1/250 th of a ROA anymore and perhaps soon it won't be worth 1/1000 of a ROA anymore.
Old December 19, 2012, 10:35 PM   #14
jmfc606

Ruger does NOT have any part left for the discontinued ROA'S so collectors/shooters are buying parts guns. IMO $500 is WAY too much for a parts gun.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:27 AM   #15
B.L.E.

Some parts for their cartridge guns will work in the ROA, the mainspring for example. I'm pretty sure the barrel is the same barrel used on the .45 Long Colt revolvers. Ruger does not re-invent the wheel.

Sounds like an opportunity for a ROA aftermarket parts cottage industry startup. Titanium hammers for the target shooters anyone?
Old December 20, 2012, 05:18 PM   #16
North East Redneck

I would love to see aftermarket parts for ROAs. What legal ownership of the parts used in the ROA are still controlled by Ruger? Would it be legal to manufacture new parts? And even if all was legal, Ruger is a company trying to make a profit. The fact they stopped production of the ROA tells me it wasn't worth it to the bottom line. So is it worth it to someone else to produce aftermarket parts? Perhaps as time passes and we get farther from the last Ruger production run, parts will become available. If that happens I would be surprised if the quality would match Rugers parts. We can hope though....
Old December 20, 2012, 07:38 PM   #17
B.L.E.

I'm sure you could legally manufacture repair and/or upgrade parts for the ROA. There's an entire industry around upgrades for Ruger's 10-22 after all. I have a Kepplinger set trigger in my Ruger No. 1 rifle.