The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2013, 07:16 PM   #1
tollys103079

Got the stuff for the .44 Final Questions

photo-12.JPG

photo-13.jpg

Ok so I have looked at everything I can find and read all the other forums and finally got the stuff today. But I have never put a roll crimp on anything so I wanted some input. I have the lee factory crimp and the crimp in the lee bullet seater kit, which works (i should know the first one I tried was crimped before it was seated). The picture is of the one I think is right. Seated to 1.610 and crimped in the cannelure (I hope).

All my brass is once shot stuff we shot over the last few years, I sorted it to find the ones that were all the same and I am only using them to start. There are some that are way under the trim length listed in my manuals. 1.275 to 1,285 and most of my brass is 1.278 however it appears hornady is about 1.260.

So any thoughts on the crimp and how to know if it is enough and also about the case length?

Loading 240 MO Bullet Elmer K SWC it does however have a tapered base

After a lot of research and looking for powder I have decided on two loads with these to work towards unique 8-10 grains working my way up to 10.

2400 18grains and working my way up
Large Pistol Primers

Any thoughts are appreciated

I have no idea why the pictures are so bad, but I think you can see the crimp.

Thanks
Old August 20, 2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

Yep. In your pic, the bullet is crimped in the cannelure. Looks right.

Crimping is a "feel" thing. Takes some getting used to, but it's easy enough. When in doubt, go light. Those big 240g slugs probably don't need much crimp anyway - there's lots of fudge room with what you're loading. 44 Mag is easy and fun to load.

I think you're basically on the right track with your loads. I personally would approach things a little differently; but since your approach seems cautious and safe, I'll keep them to myself. Part of the fun is learning and doing things your way. Proceed.

Many find loading to be a hobby in and of itself (I do). Have fun with it.
Old August 20, 2013, 08:27 PM   #3
tollys103079

As I get into different guns and different loads I can see the time consumption of the whole thing. I started so I could afford to shoot the .45 a little more and now I reload everything I shoot. This is just my first attempt at the .44. I always start on the safe side and work my way up, but I dont mind hearing other people's opinion. I learned quickly in reloading that advice is what you make of it. Sometimes it can work for you and other times it doesnt, but I like to read anything I can about it.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

My .44 is a Smith 629 w/ 8 3/8" barrel. It's quite a cannon, but I don't shoot it often these days. When I first got it (1/4/1984), I shot it a lot. I used to shoot silhouette at 100 yards with it (open sights). I believe I used a Hornday 240g silhoutte specific bullet - been so long I can't rightly remember. I had a good hit %, but I was younger then. I don't see as well and shake a bit now that I'm in my 50's.

Point is, I just don't shoot it as much. I consider it a "novelty" gun at this point. I want to get that Smith Performance Center 2 5/8" barrel model - that's my next gun.

I only have a couple loads for 44 Mag. Winchester 296 is my go-to powder. I still have - and load with - a can of 296 from 1987. Seems to work just fine.

1.) 22.7g 296 w/ Sierra 240g JHC (Sierra #8610); CCI 350.
2.) 25.5g 296 w/ Sierra 210g JHC (Sierra #8620); CCI 350.
3.) 10.0g 231 w/ Speer 200g GDHP SB (Speer#4427); CCI 300. (For short range defense; indoors, low-flash, low-recoil.)
4.) 44 Special: 8.5g HS-6 w/ 240g LSWC "Elmer K's"; CCI 350. (For general target shooting. This round is a bit dirty and may need revision.)

That's it. That's all I load for my .44.

(All load recipes stated here can be found in either Sierra #5 or Speer #14.)
Old August 20, 2013, 09:11 PM   #5
tollys103079

I am shooting a smith and wesson 629 with a 6.5" barrel. I have not shot it a lot in the last few years, but I am looking to fix that this fall. Going to start carrying it deer hunting again. So I want a lot of practice loads then I need to get my deer load and something close to shoot to get a feel for it. I have read a lot about 296 and might try it when I get to full power loads for deer.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:12 PM   #6
rclark

Quote:
After a lot of research and looking for powder I have decided on two loads with these to work towards unique 8-10 grains working my way up to 10.

2400 18grains and working my way up
Large Pistol Primers
Sounds good to me. My two loads are 10g of Unique and 19g of 2400 under 240g SWC. I used to load 8.5g of Unique which duplicated the Skeeter load in .44Mag, but since I now shoot the Skeeter load in my .44Spec revolvers, no longer needed in .44Mag.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

I'm not into shooting animals. Just not my thing. But if I were to carry my .44 for hunting, I'd use the Speer 240g JSP (#4457). When loaded hot (296), it will penetrate enough for a deer (or bear), and still expand.