The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 31, 2013, 02:16 PM   #1
k511

9mm AR style rifles that accept glock mags..

ive been kind of interested in these for a little while now...does anyone have one? how do you like it? thoughts? already have a .223AR and a .308AR.
Old March 31, 2013, 02:21 PM   #2
tahunua001

I don't own one but I have read a number of very spotty reviews, require a lot of fine tuning and often suffer long term issues. the ones that take colt mags like rock river arms and colt are a lot better and you're only sacrificing a single round from max capacity from 33 rounds to 32 over the glock styles.
Old March 31, 2013, 02:59 PM   #3
tgreening

I want an AR in 9mm, and was all set to buy one when The Madness hit. Needless to say that plan went out the window for the time being, but when it settles down I will pick one up.

My intent is to just pick up a factory built Colt model. I would assume that coming from the factory I shouldn't have any "tuning" issues, and I'm fine with Colt vs "fill in your favorite". I like the idea of a carbine that accepts ammo I already have stock of, is the same as most of my pistols, and in saner times is plentiful and cheap.

I know I know. There will be a bunch that say 9mm is a waste in a rifle, but at the ranges I would intend to use it it would certainly get the job done. In that SHTF scenario so many seem to worry about, but can't really adequately define, I don't intend to fight. I intend to run whenever possible and fight only as a last desperate resort.

That stand your ground mentality is fine and dandy if you're young, single, and full of hormones. When you've got family to worry about, fightin is the last thing I want to do.
Old April 5, 2013, 03:37 AM   #4
eodinert

I have a 9mm AR that uses unmodified Uzi mags. This works well for me, as Uzi mags are (were) cheap, and I have a Uzi.

It's a load of fun, especially if you live somewhere you can get a suppressor and do an SBR. Do a lot of reading, there are several 'formats' (colt style vs. Oly style, etc, Uzi mags vs Colt mags vs modified Uzi mags vs Sten mags) for 9mm conversions, and you need to know what you want before you shop.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Skitter

I have seen very good reviews on both the Kel-Tech and Hi-Point models of the 9mm/.40 carbines.

I want to get a Hi-Point in .40 just for the fun of it
Old April 5, 2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Ridge_Runner_5

Olympic Arms makes a proprietary lower receiver that uses Glock mags.
Old April 5, 2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Nine the Ranger

Just Right Carbines are chambered in 9mm, .40, and .45, and they all take Glock mags, as does the Kel-Tec Sub2000.

Well, the .45 versions might use 1911 magazines, not sure.

But I have heard some iffy issues about the JR Carbines, but 90% of it is AR compatible.
Old April 5, 2013, 02:10 PM   #8
blfuller

I believe Lone Wolf Distributing and Double Diamond Law Enforcement supply both make Glock magazine compatible AR15 lower receivers.
Old April 6, 2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Ridge_Runner_5

Quote:
But I have heard some iffy issues about the JR Carbines, but 90% of it is AR compatible.
I don't see how that is possible with one off receiver, bolt carrier system and handguards.

Unless you mean the ability to change the stock, pistol grip trigger and flash hider.