The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2011, 12:02 PM   #1
c.j.sikes

H.B. molds

i have in my collection of molds 4 which i do not know what gun they are for, possible one of you know. 450229 155 gr., 457195 225 gr., 445599 250 gr.,, 45369 291 gr. fellows i inherited these from a caster who was a very good friend and he shot all kind of lead bullets.. any light you can shed on this i would deeply appreciate. thanks cjs
Old March 30, 2011, 03:15 AM   #2
Mauser Rat

c.j., I went out snooping around on Google and found these:

Quote:
Obsolete, Lyman single cavity hollow base bullet mold for .44 caliber cap and ball revolver. Catalog #450229. 155 grain hollow base conical.

457-195 225gr 191 RN-HB 450 Webley bullet

LYMAN 445599 1 CAVITY MINNIE MOLD 250 GR

Lyman made a 250 grain #445369 .445 MinniƩ ball molds at one time.

45369 Nosler Custom Competition Bullets - Caliber: 30 (.308)
Not sure which of the last 2 apply but maybe you can tell from the mold? Hope they help.

Last edited by Mauser Rat; March 30, 2011 at 03:30 AM.
Old March 30, 2011, 12:43 PM   #3
c.j.sikes

molds

mauser rat you have been a lot of help. the mold that look like a coustom job, the no. on the mold are hard to see so i took a lead pencle to them and got 445369, one of the 4 was hard to see. it is a large bullet hollow base, probaley a rifle bullet. this friend, who is past now, was at one time, i am told, a dist. for lyman molds and ordered a single, double and four cav. of each new mold as they came out, for his colection. i have a small part of the colection, what happen to the rest i do not know. by the way, what is a post in your address in alaska. i know nothing of the state or where any thing is located. thanks so much for your help. cjs
Old March 30, 2011, 10:39 PM   #4
Mauser Rat

cj,

Glad to help. If your friend really was a Lyman distributor then the last mold is probably that Lyman minnie ball mold I guess. It looks like your friend liked his black powder.

I started moving north and west as soon as my feet got big enough to take me places on my own. I'm in Alaska now. Been up here for the last twenty some years and lived all over Alaska from up North to down in the southeast panhandle to middle Alaska where I am living now. Alaska gets under your skin and it is so big that it goes from temperate rain forest down south to desert up north. I love this place but I wasn't born with an anchor and there are still a couple places in the world it would be fun to explore. That's why no permanent address - I never know when it'll be time again.

Good luck with the molds!
Old March 31, 2011, 03:47 PM   #5
c.j.sikes

you are right on, he was a blackpowder man but he shot all kind of cal., even wildcat he came up with. we shot a big bore match with a army team in odessa texas. they used mi 30-06 but only brough 308 ammo so they shot it. came out streight case and cowboy picked up some and made a 45- 2 inch. rifle. hunted deer with it but said it was only good for 150 yds. he left me 40 some odd molds and a lot of round ball molds as well as hollow point and hollow base molds. to me it is very interesting, makes me wonder about the knowled that is lost. cjs