The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 24, 2011, 09:54 AM   #1
Bowjunkie

Bullet grain and press question

I have a couple questions and appreciate all the help.
1. I shoot a .308 and would like to know how much of a difference there is between a 165 grain bullet and a .168 grain bullet. Which is the best for average shooting and hunting mostly deer. The bullet type is a barnes X-bullet, will be reloading in some PMC brass and some assorted brass i got from An instructor at the SAMG school.

2. I am looking at getting my own setup and was wondering what is a good single stage press that will last a long time. Reason for single stage is i rather take my time and go for quality than quantity. Any other recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Old November 24, 2011, 10:05 AM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
I shoot a .308 and would like to know how much of a difference there is between a 165 grain bullet and a .168 grain bullet.
Well, 3 grains.

When it come to looking at load data, there is no difference***.

NOW, I would buy 2 or 3 reloading manuals and read them cover to cover....twice. The ABC's of Reloading is a great start and there are other manuals out there that explain the basics of reloading and give load data (ie., Lee Precisions manual).

***There are a lot of factors that go into reloading. Bullet weight, bullet shape, bullet material, bullet seating depth, case length, case thickness, primers used, powder used, powder charge, load density, and the list goes on and on.

As far as presses go, the Lee Classic Cast is one tough press and will last generations if maintained properly. RBCS, Lyman, Forster, etc make great presses too, but you will pay a bit more for them.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old November 24, 2011, 10:13 AM   #3
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter
When it come to looking at load data, there is no difference
yup, yup, yup, what he said.

There is no practical difference in the 165/168 class of bullets as far as load development is concerned. What you'll find is that most hunting bullets are 165 grain and target bullets are 168 grain within that weight class.

I'm primarily a hunter but I use target bullets for load development. I generally work up loads with the equivalent of a MatchKing bullet, then switch to similar weight for hunting. The switch makes little or no difference in regards to bullet impact and I'll normally fire one group with the hunting ammo just prior to the season to double-check myself, the rifle, and the load.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 24, 2011, 11:39 AM   #4
David Bachelder

I think the best single stage press available today is the RCBS RockChucker. It will last several lifetimes, and the customer support from RCBS is great.

The press alone:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/513...le-stage-press

The Kit:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/646...ess-master-kit

Midway is a great vendor, and there are several in the reloading business. The RockChucker is bullet proof, it has a 1" OD ram, thick steel linkage and is all cast iron construction. I do not work for RCBS, I do own a lot of thier equipment and have been a very satisfied customer. Most everything I have is RCBS, except for the Hornady Lock And Load press and die bushings.

Sometimes you can find a good deal on a used one at E-Bay, or a member here on this forum may contact you and have one they need to sell. Anyway you will not be sorry you bought one, if thats the route you choose.
Old November 24, 2011, 11:49 AM   #5
Jim243

I own the RCBS Rockchucker, but the best bang for the buck is the Lee Classic Cast, it will let you prime on the press with the optional primer kit and drops the deprimed primers directly down in to a tube or bucket.

Check around you can get it for less dollars than what Lee charges.

Jim

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Classic-Cast-Press.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/317...le-stage-press
Old November 24, 2011, 11:54 AM   #6
4runnerman

RCBS Partner Press has serve me very well. Never a issue and rock solid. I shoot 168 and 175 gn in my 308,but i don't hunt.
Old November 24, 2011, 12:48 PM   #7
Bowjunkie

BC higher with 168

I was told by a friend that the 168 grain ballistic coefficient was higher which makes it more stable in flight or aerodynamic.
Old November 24, 2011, 05:53 PM   #8
flashhole

Another vote for the Lee Classic Cast press. Great value and hell bent for stout. The Lee Classic Turret is also an excellent choice. Factory Sales has very good prices on Lee equipment.

https://fsreloading.com/html/xcart/c...sic.html#50BMG

Are you ready for civil war?