The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 7, 1999, 01:57 PM   #1
CapeFear

I have researched and read all the threads on the Remington 700 verses Winchester 70 debates and really don't want to restart that thread. What I am looking for is feedback
from the Professional Gunsmiths on this board on Remington Model 700 extractor failures. I know quite a few people who own the 700 and have shot hundreds of rounds through them and have never had a failure and I own several myself. Is this extractor
weakness just a fine point to throw up for a debate or does the Remington have a true
design flaw? How many of the gunsmiths here have actually fixed broken Model 700's
with any problem? Thanks guys, I wanted to hear from experience not theories.

[This message has been edited by CapeFear (edited June 07, 1999).]
Old June 8, 1999, 09:44 AM   #2
buzz riley

The 700 extractor is really bad to shave brass off of the cartridge. The brass shavings can get inside your bolt and jam it. I've been to a couple schools and have seen this happen. I personally just make it a point to keep it clean and have never experienced a problem.
I know some experienced people who remove the Remington extactor and have a Sako type installed.
Hope this helps.

------------------
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matthew 5:9
Old June 8, 1999, 10:12 AM   #3
CapeFear

Thanks buzz. That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.
Old June 8, 1999, 10:08 PM   #4
Cat

I had a Remington 722 years ago that I bought used at a gun show. It shot very well and was responsible for dispatching hundreds of woodchucks. But the extractor did break one time and rendered it useless until repaired. The only other one I saw break was a guys M-700 last Saturday. He was shooting woodchucks and his extractor broke. These are factual. Two out of...?
Cat
Old June 9, 1999, 11:16 AM   #5
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

In my neck of the woods I don't get too many complaints about the 700. I think I've only replaced maybe 4 in the past year. No problems though. They are easily replaced with the proper tools or procedure. George
Old June 26, 1999, 02:35 PM   #6
Abe Normal

I've had no problems with the extractor, however small amounts of brass were being shaved by the end of the ejector. This, in my 700, was causing the ejector to become jammed in the depressed possition. The fix was to remove the ejector plunger and polish the end until it was slightly dome shaped and almost mirror smooth. Also as I recall the bolt face at the ejector hole had a small burr or two, so a VERY light chamfer was necessary to clean this up.

To date I've had no more trouble with the ejector and find very few brass shavings on the bolt face after a day at the range. Where as before I was lucky to fire 3 rounds before the ejector became jammed due to the bits of brass getting in where they don't need to be.
Abe

------------------
If everyone thought like me, I'd be a damn fool to think any different!