The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 4, 2013, 03:06 PM   #1
lordhedgwich

Thinking of getting a flintlock pistol

I dont normally shoot black powders I have 2 .44 cal revolvers that i shoot once in a blue moon but thats about it. I saw this http://www.veteranarms.com/Reproduct...ce-Pistol.html pistol online today and it looks really neat and like it might be fun to shoot. Is that a good price? Where would i get .62 cal balls for a pistol? what else would i need?
Old July 4, 2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Well since masscaster at Cast Boolit's isn't accepting orders for the time being. Track of the Wolf _up in MN would be next best guess for balls and all the extra's needs also.

www.trackofthewolf.com/‎

S/S
Old July 4, 2013, 04:36 PM   #3
Hawg

Their guns are all made in India. Some of the Indian made guns are crap and some are ok. None are better than ok.
Old July 4, 2013, 05:04 PM   #4
lordhedgwich

Which guns are made in india? Also i dont need top of the line. Im more into cartridge guns anyway I just thought it would be fun to shoot once in awhile
Old July 4, 2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Captchee

as hawg said , its an import from india . i would recommend reading up on the Indian imports before you buy so your aware of the controversy . As was said , some are ok some are not .
Anymore you can get just about anything from Bess models to Tullie’s to flintlock SXS .all being imported from India .
Myself I would not buy one unless it was through one of the more reparable distributors .
The reason for that is that India has some pretty strict gun laws that require any gun to go through the government proof house . To get around that a lot of these are being imported as non firing curiosities. Thus you either have to drill the flash hole or the dealer pre drills it so as to make the gun firable.
Also not all of them are made by the same people in India . So its well worth finding out what your getting before you buy ..
As to 62 cal balls . You can get them through Track of the wolf , Dixie or any number of places . Or you can by your own mould and cast your own
Old July 4, 2013, 05:50 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd reline the barrel with a good steel liner or I'd replace the barrel altogether. The lock may not even throw a spark.
Old July 4, 2013, 06:12 PM   #7
kwhi43

Junk is Junk!
Old July 4, 2013, 06:15 PM   #8
lordhedgwich

Where you would you guys recommend getting Affordable flintlock pistols from? I prolly wont shoot it often so i dont want to pay out the ass for one.
Old July 4, 2013, 06:40 PM   #9
OutlawJoseyWales

Are you gonna' get a pirate flag and an island girl to go with that thing?
Was wondered if you can get your safety glasses over a pirate eye patch too.

Just jokin' a little there.
If you check with GB, there's occasionally something like this come be from time to time. Not sure I'd trust a flintlock from India.
Old July 4, 2013, 06:44 PM   #10
lordhedgwich

no i just like the revolutionary war and Napoleonic wars so flintlocks are more interesting to me than percussion caps. I dont like gunbroker
Old July 4, 2013, 07:14 PM   #11
MattShlock

Veteran has above average quality (India) stuff in my limited experience with them, and others, who buy and shoot...

.62/20 guage is one of the most popular black powder calibers. I had a friend who saw Master and Commander, and the scene where they pass around a basket of Sea Service pistols had him go out and get one right away. He wishes Veteran had been around at the time!
Old July 4, 2013, 08:28 PM   #12
Captchee

while junk maybe junk , alot of the re-enactors are using them anymore .
over on Frontier folk Forum , there is near 40 pages of comments on the indian made guns , both pros and con.
here is the link
http://frontierfolk.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32794

also i know a few folks who have bought the sxs flintlocks . past being heavy they do seem to like them .
i do own a 16 gagesxs caplock made in india . it is an early piece with all the proofing marks . locks ar hand made and rather crud but they do work and it shoots well .
but again , i would read what folks are saying in the link i posted . then decide for yourself .

most of what i see that comes up on gun broker or auction arms that are along the lines of the sea service or british officers pistols , are alot of times olg spanish Jukars or Ultra Hi, some times maruku . most are 12 gage and if you find one that sparks , your lucky
Old July 4, 2013, 08:43 PM   #13
Beagle333

Well, I don't have one, but I started looking around when I saw this thread and saw that Cabelas has both the Pirate and the Trapper model of Traditions on sale right now for close to that same money. What do you guys think of those?

clickey for linkey
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old July 4, 2013, 10:11 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

Here's a link to an Indian made Lorenz (Civil War) rifle musket that went ka-boom. http://civilwartalk.com/threads/indi...tysburg.86134/
Old July 4, 2013, 11:20 PM   #15
lordhedgwich

So general idea is indian flintlocks from veteran are ok?
Old July 5, 2013, 05:28 AM   #16
darkgael

Traditions

I have had the Traditions Pirate for years. It always goes bang. The .50 is substantially less expensive than the sixty-two as .50 LRBs are easier to find and cost less each.
Matt Avance from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading makes a very nice sixty two smoothbore pistol. More $ though.
http://www.avsia.com/tvm/pistol.htm
Pete
Old July 5, 2013, 06:53 AM   #17
MattShlock

Looking at that Lorenz' picture it seems quite obvious to me there was an obstruction in the barrel that at a reenactment was not supposed to have anything but powder down the muzzle. Empty barrels with 60 grains of loose powder don't just burst half way down IMO...

I'd prefer a Pedersoli too, but, if that particular model Sea Service gun is what you want I'd just be happy someone has affordably reproduced it.
Old July 5, 2013, 08:06 AM   #18
Rifleman1776

Junk isn't just junk. Junk is dangerous.
Those India made things (not guns) a sold as decorative items, not shooters.
I understand there is a large contingent of "It ain't blowed up yet" people out there with them. Think about the "yet" part.
They are dangerous.
Old July 5, 2013, 06:12 PM   #19
Captchee

IMo the traditions isnt to bad for the price .
its drawback is be the lock though as the springs are normally weak .
far better then the Indian Imports , IMO .

but then the subject has two sides . On one side are those that say junk on the others are those that have found them acceptable and reliable through actually owning one

Those on the junk side normally point to one or two of the recorded failures.
But of which as far as I know , after having the barrel inspected by qualified , independent people , has basically came down to shooter error not quality of the barrel itself .
As to the barrel not being drilled ??/ Green mountian doesn’t drill flasholes nor do they install liners . In fact GM has had past problems where they felt that simply installing a heli coil to correct bad threads in their breech plugs was a good answer.
Colerain also doesn’t dill flash holes and for a time had issues with their plugs not being properly faced .

The difference is we think we know what the barrels are made from . At least the companies tell us . But then we also have to take their word for it as we have no government oversight to insure they do what they actually do .

Add into that , if we are to accept the few failures as proof , then probably we should also claim that makers like Remington , Knights and a couple others are also junk based on the failures of their guns . Which frankly far out number the failures of these imports . At least for now anyway .

But again if the import is what your liking , I would talk to someone who actually owns one . Read up on what people are saying from both sides , then make an educated decision
Like I said the one I have the locks are not what I would consider quality nor is the gun over all .
But that’s compairing them to what we today consider quality because frankly the lock are as good as many original locks made here in the US during the 19th century .
Infact as good as many of the locks found on SXS shotguns of the early 20th century
Old July 6, 2013, 01:11 PM   #20
JT-AR-MG42

Just be patient and it will show up eventually.
I waited quite a while to find this one - a Belgium make and imported by Turner Kirkland (his name on the barrel).

It really looked kinda cheap when I got it so in addition to the obligatory browning of the barrel and lock and after fire blueing the screws and sights, I actually polished the brass fittings.

Here a few gratuitous photos that TRULY showcase my (lack of) photographic skills!

Before

And after

The pistol is a .40 and matches up close to my Tennessee Poorboy .40 flinter. Shoots the same patches and ball as the rifle. The lock is sure-fire and reasonably fast.

Need to tone down the trigger pull a bit but it really shoots with 25grs. of 3F and self primes too!
I will be replacing the .32 acp case on the end of the rod with a turned down .32 long.

Always looking for another,JT