The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 21, 2015, 11:17 AM   #26
Cheapshooter

When you take it apart to clean it you might want to take a look at the recoil buffer as well. Make sure it is not broken, and is doing it's job of containing the force of the operating system
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ri...60-buffer.html
I'm sure brake cleaner will work, but I just use one of the aerosol gun scrubber products. Maybe just me, but it seems that the tool (product) made for the job is the best choice.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 21, 2015, 02:46 PM   #27
Colt46

Good guns

Accurate and reliable. My brother has one of the same vintage. If mechanically sound, then well worth the price.
Old April 21, 2015, 03:06 PM   #28
cc-hangfire

The Glenfield and Marlin Model 60's are the almost same rifle; trigger assemblies have changed slightly over the years. Very easy to field strip, you just need a screwdriver. Look it up on YouTube. Just don't disassemble the lower assembly once you have it field stripped (you'd have to take off some tiny e-clips to do that anyway); the lower is open & you can clean it without taking it apart.

I have a Marlin 60, Marlin 75, Glenfield 60, & an extra lower assembly. [did you know that the lower assemblies of the 75 & the 60 can be swapped on the barrelled receivers? Stock with the mag well is needed though for the 75 of course]

I got the Glenfield cheap also as a parts gun - it was REALLY dirty inside, and was missing mag tube inner assembly. Cleaned up with a new inner mag tube it runs flawlessly. If you start tinkering on these, you might get addicted.
Old April 21, 2015, 03:17 PM   #29
bspillman

I took it apart and it looks like one of the little wings on the feed throat looks to be broken off. I think that's the problem. I'll have to see about getting another one and change it out.
Old April 21, 2015, 03:39 PM   #30
TimSr

Quote:
The Glenfield and Marlin Model 60's are the almost same rifle
I do not ever recall Marlin and Glenfield not being one in the same. The Glenfields were Marlin's low end retail line. I bought my first Marlin Glenfield in 1974. Were they making them simply as Marlins prior to that?
Old April 21, 2015, 04:14 PM   #31
Scorpion8

Quote:
I do not ever recall Marlin and Glenfield not being one in the same
For all practical purposes. A Glenfield 336 is a dead ringer for the Marlin 336. Likewise the Model 60's. Most parts interchange, and I know of folks who swap stocks because they like Glenfield wood better than vintage Marlin wood. So, for all practical purposes.....
Old April 22, 2015, 07:14 PM   #32
ferg

The 'wing' on the feedthroat, the one on the left as installed it the ejector. There is not one on the right(outside) of the feedthroat. Most likely problem is a bent/kinked recoil spring. The bolt ride over problem sounds like it's short stroking - ammo issue. Use better/different ammo.

Replace buffer, just because.
Replace recoil spring.
CLEAN it.

Then party on Garth!
Old April 22, 2015, 08:24 PM   #33
Cheapshooter

A wealth of information about these fine rimfire semi autos can be found on RimfireCentral.com.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
Here is a link to their Marlin Semi Auto forum.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...play.php?f=217
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 25, 2015, 04:34 PM   #34
jmstr

I have glenfield 60 from 75. I had to do feedthroat conversion as my throat was splitting and ejector nub was worn down.

To buy or not.

Advantage: 17 round tube mag unlike new 14 round mag.

Disadvantage: feedthroat might need swapping.

I did feedthroat/ bolt change. Installled LSHO feature and had a KAT trigger installed (really: .22 owners need to join rimfirecentral.com), with simmons 4-12 scope on it.

I spent $75 for the gun in 2002. Everything combine2 probably puts it up to atound $250-300.

I love it as i prefer tube fed .22 rifles. The trigger is a smooth and safe 2.5lbs.

I woulxn't hesitate to do it again.

Should YOU spend the money? It depends on your ultimate goals. Don't do it if you are in new jersey: as that fifle is a state-declared assault weapon. A guy went to prison for it in the 90s. Law hasn't changed.
Old April 25, 2015, 09:43 PM   #35
Lemmon

My brother and I bought one

My brother and I bought one when we were in high school and were working after school in a warehouse. This had to be in the mid to late 60's (I think). Provided a lot of fun. I acquired the rifle after college and continued to use it. One quirk was that when the rifle was fired that it would fire two rounds with one trigger pull. It also started jamming. I cleaned it and could not get it to operate as it should. I called my brother and he told me that his friend was very knowledgeable with fire arms. Brother got his friend to look at the rifle and he determined that any money spent on the repair of this rifle was a waste of time. When it worked it was a great firearm. Not sure what brother did with the rifle but have not thought about it for years until this post showed up.

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina
Old April 26, 2015, 01:02 PM   #36
Pathfinder45

The full feedthroat conversion with a new bolt costs a bit under $75 for parts from Numrich. By the time you add a few replacement screws etc, you'll spend that much, maybe more. Add that to the cost of purchasing the rifle. If you don't overpay for the rifle, it's totally worth it. I did it to a model 99M1 and it came out real well. It's a fun project, as these are essentially very accurate rifles for a 22.