The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 3, 2013, 09:38 PM   #1
bk688

remington 870 youth model

Hello,

My sister just moved to a much more rural environment in Arizona. She's hinted about some concerns with critters of both the four legged and two legged kinds.

I'm going to get her a shotgun for her birthday. She's very small (5 foot nothing and probably 115 pounds) so I plan on getting her a 20 gauge Remington 870. with her being so short I was wondering if I should go with a youth model but i have no experience with such weapons.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Brant.
Old August 3, 2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Polinese

Personally i'd recommend an ar if money is no object, and a lever action if it is...
I don't know yours or her shooting experience... but both of my suggestions I personally think will be easier to learn to shoot well, and will be easier on her shoulder while she's learning.

Also this should be in the shotgun section.
Old August 4, 2013, 10:42 AM   #3
globemaster3

FWIW, I am running 11-87 youth models on my kids, who are a little smaller and larger than your target size, and the length of pull is good for their size.

I do agree with Polinese, this needs to be in the shotgun section and more information needed to give a more accurate recommendation, centering on shooting experience, nature of threats, and where she is living.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old August 4, 2013, 04:19 PM   #4
jmr40

A youth gun is a good choice for her size, just be aware that lightweight 20 ga shotguns kick harder than standad size 12ga guns with comparable ammo. While the 12 will have SLIGHTLY less payload, they have SIGNIFICANTLY less weight to absorb the recoil. The net result is more recoil. A gas operated semi auto in 12 or 20 guage would be much better.

An AR will cost a little more. But will weigh less and generate about 5 ft lbs recoil vs 25-30 ft lbs for a shotgun with slugs or buckshot. For 2 legged threats an AR is about perfect.

I cannot think of any legitimate 4 legged threats there, but if bear are a problem then a lever 30-30 or 44 mag would be in the 15 ft lb recoil range and be a better choice.
Old August 5, 2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Quickdraw Limpsalot

I have an 870 Express Compact Jr and love it, even though I'm a big guy. It's a 20 gauge, 18.5" barrel (Remchoked,) and has a 12"-13" length of pull, depending on whether or not you use the provided spacers (870 standard LOP is 14", Youth is 13".)

I use it with the spacers (13" Youth stock length) for turkeys, squirrels & rabbits. I just have a thing for tiny, handy little guns.

[edited to add link:]
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ompact-jr.aspx
Old August 5, 2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Axelwik

I don't think you can go wrong with a Remington 870. I keep one in the bedroom.

I'm not sure why so many are fixated on the AR. if you live where you have neighbors close by a rifle is a very poor choice. I sure wouldn't want to be responsible for a tragedy caused by a rifle bullet penetrating the walls of my or a neighbors home. No guarantee with a shotgun, but a rifle or powerful handgun has a much higher chance of over-penetrating.

Buckshot from a shotgun, especially #1 or smaller, loses a lot of energy when encountering walls, but when fired at close range into an aggressor is more effective than any handgun and many rifles.
Old August 5, 2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Polinese

I'd rather shoot a soft point 223 or a frangible 223 into my wall than some buckshot...

But to be honest I'm of the opinion shotguns are for people with no ability to shoot and enjoy a punch to the shoulder to remind them of the fact.
Old August 6, 2013, 09:26 AM   #8
MK11

How much interest does she have in guns? Is she willing to learn how to run it?

I like a shotgun for HD but I like shooting. They're big and heavy and despite the wisdom of VP Biden, probably more complicated to run for a novice shooter than an AR. Serious loads in 20 gauge don't kick much less than 12 gauge.

How about a .22 rifle? I'm sure we'll get a bunch of manly heroes shooting down this idea but the S&W AR 22 or a Ruger 10/22 with 30 round mags is nothing to sneeze at and is easy for a smaller shooter to handle.
Old August 6, 2013, 11:47 AM   #9
BigJimP

Since she is small....recoil is a big deal....

Any light gun ....will have more recoil than a heavier gun / and any fixed breech gun ( like a pump or Over Under ) will have more recoil than a gas or inertia operated semi-auto ( like the 11-87 mentioned).

Making follow up shots in a defensive situation is a really big deal...and with relatively heavy payloads of " OO " Buck or slugs...and in a light, fixed breech shotgun ....its a bad idea usually.
-------------
Rem 11-87's ....or the newer gas guns like Browning silver series, etc ...are better options in my view - if you want to go the shotgun route.

Semi-auto rifles --- like an AR might be ok / if she'll really train with it ( but that's true for any defensive weapon ).../ maybe a revolver in .357 mag that she can shoot .38's in as well...or a lever action rifle that is chambered in .357 mag....are better alternatives to a shotgun. But if you go the shotgun route....a gas operated semi-auto is probably a much better choice.
Old August 6, 2013, 12:12 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
But to be honest I'm of the opinion shotguns are for people with no ability to shoot and enjoy a punch to the shoulder to remind them of the fact.
That is a harsh opinion to take but you are entitled to yours...

I am of the opinion that any firearm wielded by someone ept in that platform can be quite a shot.

I would suggest that 20 gauge in youth size of any american brand... But they do have some kick. If you get her one she needs to know how to shoot it and this takes alot of ammo... Birdshot then buck then slugs to improve accuracy and then more buck...

Brent
Old August 6, 2013, 12:13 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Mossberg has an imported auto loader in 20 gauge... the SA-20

Brent
Old August 6, 2013, 12:57 PM   #12
Dreaming100Straight

Consider that if it is for home defense, you will want a shorter barrel. A shorter barrel may also be easier for someone your sister's size. It looks to me that the shortest one for a Remington 1187 is 21 inches. The Mossberg SA 20 tactical can be had with a 20" barrel and 13" LOP. I don't care for so called tactical guns for home defense, but given the LOP and short barrel the Mossberg may be the way to go.Pumps can be found with shorter barrels, such as 18" or 18.5", but then you have the recoil problem.
Old August 6, 2013, 06:55 PM   #13
Axelwik

Quote:
I'd rather shoot a soft point 223 or a frangible 223 into my wall than some buckshot...

Your soft point 223 clipping along at 3,000 FPS will penetrate a lot of walls before it becomes harmless.

Your comment on people who have shotguns is just dumb. Every type of gun serves a different purpose. I'm sorry that you're so recoil-sensitive... It excludes a lot of great hardware.

Last edited by Axelwik; August 6, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old August 7, 2013, 10:05 PM   #14
drcook

If she finds a 20ga youth shotgun to be a bit much, then there are mercury recoil reducers that go in the stock and don't cost very much. Brownells carry them. I will buy one of those for the 16ga guns I built on the youth size model specs for my wife if it turns out a 16 is a little uncomfortable for her to shoot.

There are 2 different size youth model 870's. One the standard youth/lady sized and one with a 12" length of pull. Go to Gander Mountain and have her try both out for size if possible. They typically stock them and have display models that sure will help you make a decision as to stock size/length of pull

I bought my wife a youth sized Remington 1100 20ga and she finds it easy to shoot. She is 5'3" and 115lbs. It has a 13" LOP. I put 13" stocks and 23" to 24" barrels on the Ithaca 37 16ga guns I built her.

Correct fit and appropriate cartridge selection are the most important aspects of a gun for a lady/child and man for that matter.

I regularly shoot my BPCR rifles up to and including 45-110's, a 375 H&H, all gauges of shotguns and none of them bother me to shoot, My guns fit me and I am not that big a guy,

HOWEVER I shot a friend's rolling block 45-90 1 time, that is 1 cartridge, 1 shot. I handed it back. It hurt me. I could not get comfortable on the stock and get it placed right. It just didn't fit me.

The same applies to fitment on a youth / lady. They are built different than us and if we don't help get them the correct fitting gun, we do them a disservice

Last edited by drcook; August 8, 2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: corrected some spelling errors
Old August 8, 2013, 05:25 AM   #15
Virginian

Exactly where does she live? People are easy, but critters is a variable subject. So is backdrop. Any rifle will be lethal for a lot longer distance than a shotgun. I would think an 870 youth model would certainly be worth considering. Just make sure when she shoots it she knows to keep it firmly in the pocket of her shoulder. The recoil is a lot easier when it doesn't get a running start.