The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 17, 2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Venom1956

Marlin MR-7B .30-06 Lightstrikes?

Hello I am looking at a guy trying to get rid of a marlin bolt (all i know so far) he said hes gotten a few fail to fire but dented primer.

I am looking if this is a known issue? easily fixable or what? ill post more as i find it out.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; March 21, 2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: More info on gun.
Old March 17, 2013, 03:27 PM   #2
oryx

Is he getting this using reloads or factory ammunition? If somehow, he is setting back the shoulder too far when resizing, this creates excessive headspace and when the primer is struck, the case moves too far forward and does not allow good primer strikes. It can also be dangerous if the head spacing is wrong.
Could be the bolt/firing pin, could be ammo, could be chamber. Hard to tell without more info
Old March 17, 2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Venom1956

factory. im guessing Remington rounds. I think it was just a hard primer both times most likely from the same box. he has had two of them.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 17, 2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Jimro

Sounds like an ammo problem based on what you wrote.

Jimro
Old March 17, 2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Liambobbi

Sounds like ammo problem
Old March 18, 2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Venom1956

thats kinda what i thought. but he doesn't want it anymore since its 'broken'. So imma try and get it on the cheap.
Old March 19, 2013, 12:44 AM   #7
math teacher

Could be a weak firing pin spring. I had that problem with a brand new Savage 110. Replaced the spring. End of problem. Also the firing pin could be gummed up. A good cleaning would take care of that.
Old March 19, 2013, 06:16 AM   #8
Picher

Seems like a gummed-up firing pin/spring to me, but could also be a weak spring.
Old March 21, 2013, 07:34 AM   #9
Venom1956

OK! So I now have the rifle in my possession! It is a Marlin MR-7B in .30-06.

It looks in pretty decent shape on the outside. its blued w/ a birch stock and has a simmions 3.5 x 10 scope on it (was that possibly some sort of retail package deal?)

Inside the gun bore looks ok. I don't see any obstructions or ruined rifling. seems a little rough but from what I understand the 7B was meant as a budget gun.

Looks like a bit of surface rust in some of the hard to clean areas or some sort of grime thats brownish colored. Packing grease perhaps? So that might be whats causing issue...

Now on to the bolt. It has a bolt mounted safety. Is removed by depressing a button on the left side of the rifle. Looks to be some sort of 'sleeve' with jeweling between the bolt handle and forward lugs. Looks similar to a rem700 bolt up front.

So I am gonna clean out the gunk in the rifle leave the bolt as is and then try a box of 20 rounds of remington and 20 rounds of federal. (depends on cost)

If it starts misfiring does anyone know where I can get some bolt dis assembly instructions? So I can clean that out and such?

Looks like there is just one flat screw in the rear of the bolt holding it together that needs to be removed and it all comes apart. But looks can be deceiving.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:36 PM   #10
RC20

I would dismantle the bolt first and clean it up as well

And yes, the screw can be deceiving. What looks like one for that on the Sako is not, can't remember excaly bit its a pres down down, turn and release thing that lets you take it apart wit no screw removal (in that case the screw holds a part on the back that does not normally need to come off)
Old March 21, 2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Bart B.

I think someone at Marlin could help you out. Contact them then ask about it.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:44 PM   #12
Venom1956

just ran a box of fed 150grb thru it on the range.... no issues except the scope he has on it is utter crap. I'm guessing it was just a hard primer.