The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 27, 2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Do You Purchase Firearms Because Of Their High Capacity Abilities?

I will probably only be able to purchase one firearm this year, so, I've been trying to decide what it will be. I've thought about a Single Action revolver, another 1911, another .22 and another 9mm of some sort. I looked at CZ 75 P-01 the other day and it felt nice in the hand. I have two CZ handguns already and they are nice guns, so, another one isn't a bad idea.

A lot of people recommended that I get the CZ because of the current climate regarding high capacity firearms. The CZ comes with two 14 round magazines. I went back to look at it again and they had raised the price in the two days since they had got it in, so, I passed.

This got me to thinking about what I have that uses high capacity magazines. I have two XD9s, a CZ 75 B, a CZ RAMI and a Rock River AR. I thought I had more than that, but it then occurred to me that I have never bought a firearm specifically because of its capacity. I usually just bought what interested me at the time.

So, do any of you buy guns because of their magazine capacities? Apparently I don't.

Last edited by Joe_Pike; January 27, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:35 PM   #2
RamItOne

I picked up an m&p9 because my buddy was buying a glock that day and so of course I wanted a new toy as well. I did like that it held 17+1, my highest cap pistol was 12+1. Not that the mag cap was the main reason it did help.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 27, 2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Niantician

When I decided to get a Marlin Lever Action, my two choices came down to an 1894 44mag and an 1895 in 45/70. Yes, twice the capacity with the 1894 was a factor.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 27, 2013, 09:01 PM   #4
sirdiealot

honestly could care less about the high cap mags....not saying i want to have people tell me i have to put a 10rd mag in my ar cause that aint happening but high cap mags are not a deciding reason for me to pick one pistol over another

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:03 PM   #5
Revolver1

NO!
Old January 27, 2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Jeremiah/Az

No, I don't, especially in a carry gun. I want a small single stack that I will always have on me. My truck gun is a Glock 26 that carries more rounds however.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:08 PM   #7
overthere

No.

The CZ-75 is a fantastic gun though. I have the CZ-75 which has 16 round capacity magazines but the most I have filled them at any point is 10 rounds. Usually I shoot 5-round series.

I am considering getting a CZ-97 as well but in general capacity is one of the lowest of my priorities.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:34 AM   #8
BarryLee

Well, not really, but let me also say that I don’t consider 15 rounds as high capacity for a medium to large 9mm. The guns were designed for 15 rounds, so it would seem that they are actually standard capacity and nothing more.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 28, 2013, 12:47 AM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

It's certainly a factor I consider in any firearms purchase.

Based on the type of firearm and its intended use, it may not be a major factor. I do own a single-shot rifle, for example. I also own some 6 shot revolvers as well as some other handguns and rifles which would not be affected by a 10 shot magazine size limit.

That said, for a home-defense firearm, particularly a handgun, capacity is certainly an important consideration, in my opinion.

Handguns are easy to miss with, and do not have nearly the terminal effect that long guns do. Couple that with the possibilty of more than one attacker, and a lot of rounds on tap starts to look very attractive.
Old January 28, 2013, 01:30 AM   #10
Verbal Clint

No
I think most people who know what they're doing and actually grew up around guns or have respect for them have the same sentiment. Of course, a lot of people go out and buy a hi-cap capable weapon just to say they did, but as a general rule, I think most people say no.
Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe."
Old January 28, 2013, 01:39 AM   #11
Auto426

Typically I buy a gun because I want the gun, not because of how many rounds it can hold. I see capacity as more of a side benefit to some purchases more than anything else. For instance, when it comes to pistols my only high capacity gun so far is a Browning Hi Power, and I didn't buy it because it was a hi capacity gun. I do own an AR and an AK, both with "normal capacity" 30 round mags, but that's about it.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:30 AM   #12
Closing The Gap

No. I purchase them based on what I want next or what is on my long list and is on sale etc.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:34 AM   #13
Hal

Do You Purchase Firearms Because Of Their High Capacity Abilities?

It has a minimal effect on my decision - but - it's not something I ignore either.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:17 AM   #14
Kreyzhorse

No. Capacity does not effect my decision with either hand guns or long guns. High capacity is just not something that I have to have. 5 rounds or more in a hand gun is fine.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:55 AM   #15
zincwarrior

I chose my CC (and helped with the wife's pick) for its maximum capacity for its size. So yes, that capacity is important. Both our pistols would have more than 10+ magazines.

My full size pistol is primarily for weekend golf hack type shooting competition. If I am thinking defense of the home, its my shotgun, or the CC as I have that on me.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:29 AM   #16
Rifleman1952

No.

I'm more interested in the overall quality and reliability than how many rounds a firearm may hold. I do own a Springfield Armory XDM 9mm with the 19 round magazine. The XDM 9 is a very well made and reliable gun. Its 19 round capacity peeked my interest, but was not a deciding factor in making the purchase. A good friend had allowed me to shoot his XDM 9 at the range, and I was sold. Went out and bought one the next day.

Springfield Armory is coming out with an XDS 9mm version; a slim, single stack, concealed carry version, that holds 7 rounds. I probably will get one of those eventually too.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:41 AM   #17
Double J

Where I live, in Illinois, we generally are limited to three shots in a shotgun for hunting deer. We can also use a six shot revolver. Semi-auto shotguns are OK here. But we can't deer hunt with semi-auto hand guns. It all gets very confusing, so I hunt with a muzzle loader and do quite well. That being said, I'd hate to be forced to accept a muzzle loader as the only gun that I could use. I do have a use for large capacity magazine for home defense which includes clearing coyotes and other vermin out of the barnlot.
--Buying a hi-cap type gun just to look cool isn't the only factor I consider when I buy. It has to have a purpose. As the old muzzle loader is my fun-gun, the AR's and the Ak's are my go-to guns when I need something more serious.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:53 AM   #18
Patriot86

Magazine capacity is a secondary concern when I am looking at a firearm. If I like two guns equally and one has a higher capacity I will go with that one. It is #4 consideration down the list.

#1 Feel in my hand
#2 Trigger
#3 Reliability/Durability
#4 Capacity
#5 Price
Old January 28, 2013, 08:57 AM   #19
towboat-er

There would be a lot less AR's sold if ya could get em as single shot only.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:16 AM   #20
Skans

Yes. I like 9mm's because modern ones have near 20 round capacities. I like drum magazines for my military-style rifles. Yes, they work great! Obviously these are fun guns, not carry guns. My larger capacity guns are fun as heck to shoot.!
Old January 28, 2013, 09:55 AM   #21
gaseousclay

ammo capacity isn't really a consideration for me at this point. I think it largely depends on the gun's intended use. if I were to use a gun purely for plinking/target shooting then having a higher capacity magazine would be important, but for hunting purposes it's not (and also because i'm sure there are regulations against that sort of thing with the DNR)
Old January 28, 2013, 11:22 AM   #22
MLeake

I buy based on different factors. For a BUG, concealability gets disproportionate weight. For a concealed primary, concealabilty matters, but shootability gets more weight. For either, reliability is trump.

BUT, all else being equal, more capacity is never a bad thing.

I do get tired of the guys who say "if you need more than x, you need to learn to shoot."

I consistently shoot perfect scores on pre-deployment handgun quals; I usually score first or second in accuracy at my IDPA club. Does that mean I can't miss if the shooting goes both ways, or if both the target and I are dodging?

Seriously....
Old January 28, 2013, 12:25 PM   #23
Webleymkv

Not now because I've already got all the guns with >10 round capacities that I'm really interested in. That being said, if I didn't already own "high capacity" guns, it might be more of a consideration in my future gun purchases.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:31 PM   #24
9mm

guns arn't "High Capacity" they come with the standard round magazine. High capacity is when you put a magazine that sticks out of the gun (I.E Glock 33 round magazine) I picked a Glock 19, because it was recommended by tons and LEO's use it. 15 round magazine and if zombines come it can use a 33 round magazine, which I rather have a rifle though.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:35 PM   #25
MLeake

High capacity depends on where you are, and who is talking.