The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 26, 2001, 07:31 PM   #1
RHC

Well, I should be receiving my CCW soon.
I've been to the regular class, and to the
Chapman Academy.

Currently I carry a little pen-size pump action pepper spray, and no light. I have lots of little flashlights, but none that are really powerful. I'd be interested in recommendations for these two items.

I realize the Streamlights and Surefires have been discussed thoroughly, but they both seem to have some new products, so I'm asking:

1. What is the smallest flashlight that would still be effective in blinding a person temporarily? (And by the way, how do you compare candlepower to lumens?)

2. What is the smallest effective size of pepper spray?

I live in a hot climate, and this stuff would probably need to go in a pocket without making me look like I'm shoplifting.
Old March 26, 2001, 07:48 PM   #2
Bill Daniel

RHC:
Try thi web site for a variety of pepper spray choices.
http://www.udap.com
All the best,
Bill Daniel
Life Member NRA

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old March 26, 2001, 10:39 PM   #3
Coronach

My GUESS as to the best flashlight would be either the 6z from Surefire or the Streamlight Scorpion.

The Surefire is probably more powerful and designed to be used in a 'combat grip,' but it is a lot pricier and, frankly, the endcap is a royal pain in the kiester. My 9z has a habit of turning itself on, even in its combat holster...this leads to bezel melting, bulb and battery fatigue, to say nothing about the flaming feeling in your hip/back. It's tactical utility makes up for this, but only just. I can't imagine cramming a 6z or 9z in a pocket.

The scorpion is cheaper, about as powerful, and better suited to being carried in a variety of ways...CCW style.

On duty I carry the 9z, off duty I carried a AA Mini-maglight...I now have a Scorp on order.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old March 27, 2001, 09:08 AM   #4
jthuang

If I may suggest, the "blinding" function of a light is secondary in defensive use -- rule #3 (know your target and what is beyond it) is the primary reason to have a light. Like they say in the NBA, you can't coach height -- so you can't train to see in the dark either.

That said, don't worry about if you have enough light to melt a goblin's retina. A defensive light should be powerful enough to let you identify your target in total darkness at typical encounter distances and it should allow you to have easily accessible momentary and constant on/off switching.

The best light is the one you'll always have on your person -- it's like the .38 revolver in your pocket being a lot better than the .44 Mag Desert Eagle you left at home. I suggest the Surefire E1 -- I have four Surefire lights and it's the 3P (now superceded by the E1 IMHO) that goes everywhere with me. I have a 6Z but pocket carry doesn't work well with that light.

Justin
Old March 27, 2001, 09:11 AM   #5
jthuang

Regarding your pepper spray question:

See http://selfdefenseproducts.com

Fox Labs OC is the hottest I've seen on the market. 5.3 million Scoville Heat Units, at 2% OC. It's the heat rating (SHU) that makes the difference, not the percentage of active ingredient.

I find that the Bodyguard pager (sold by the above outfit) works well as you can clip it onto your belt and no one will be the wiser.

Not affiliated with the above entity.

Justin