The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 25, 2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Antihero47

Remington Core-Lokt 30-06 - Failed to Fire?

Hello gents, I have taken my rifle to the range twice. I bought 2 boxes of Remington Core-Lokt Express PSP in 150gr. for my 30-06. I then bought 1 box of the same only 180gr.

Of these 3 boxes, I had 5 rounds that took a hit from the firing pin and did not fire. 2 of these happened back to back.

I then put 20 rounds of Winchester X 150gr Power Point, and every single one fired.

Im mad, but the core lokt doesnt shoot well for me anyways, I had a lot more consistancy with POI with the Winchester.

Anyone else have this issue with this Ammo? :barf:
Old October 25, 2008, 08:44 PM   #2
bear300us

did you put them in a second time an try them again,it could be a light strike.Ive always shot coreloks in my Remington 7600 30.06 I

never had any problems with them.I shot a deer faceing stait on an found the bullet in the guts perfect mushroom.
Old October 25, 2008, 08:46 PM   #3
j.chappell

Its Big Green, I have come to expect no less from them. Everyone can say what they will but their quality from top to bottom is not what it use to be.

I'm sure you will get questions about your rifle and this and that but the fact is I havent heard of any other makers factory centerfire ammunition having misfires but theirs. I have not used Remington factory ammunition since 91.

I have always found Federal and Hornady to work best for me in all of my rifles. I have had better luck with the classic, oh its now power-shok line than the premium line offered by Federal. I do shoot Winchester 145gr Power Points out of my 7x57's. It really is ugly ammunition but it shoots very well.
Old October 25, 2008, 08:49 PM   #4
bottom rung

I have never had any such experience at all. I have shot roughly 550 rounds of factory .30-06 ammunition and have never had an issue. I know for a fact that at least 200 rounds of the 550 was factory Remington Express Core Lokt. With all of my guns, except for .22 LR, I have never had any issues whatsoever with factory ammunition. I would call the factory and tell them what happened. Ammo companies take quality issues fairly seriously and it might lead to a recall or a refund. It has also been my unproven opinion that Winchester produces higher quality ammunition. When I wanted premium rounds for a moose hunt, I went to Winchester, not Remington.
Old October 25, 2008, 08:58 PM   #5
j.chappell

bottom rung,

Good suggestion. Good companies make good on their products.
Old October 25, 2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Antihero47

Thought about calling the manufacturer, I have yet to have a case of Core-Lokt that goes 20 rounds without firing. But, After scouring the website all I find are sales numbers and the like.

If anyones got the number PM me. As for the placing it back into the chamber and hitting it twice, I have not.

I have 100 rounds of some other ammo coming in, so I guess we'll see...
Old October 25, 2008, 11:11 PM   #7
ndking1126

I shoot only the CoreLokt in my Remington 700. I've never had any problems and is the most accurate out of my rifle. Granted, I've never shot the really expensive stuff, but don't feel the need to because it's accurate enough.

Good luck on that!
Old October 25, 2008, 11:19 PM   #8
MBGSXR600

I shot 35 today at the range, no problem..
Old October 25, 2008, 11:29 PM   #9
butta9999

did you check the dent in the primer after firing. My uncle had the same problem with his sako in .223 using handloads.

Two in a row didnt fire and after loading thousands of rounds this was a first to me. I re chambered the bullets and this time they fired. Took the gun to the Gun smith and he said something about a sticky spring.

The gun did not miss a beat after the two miss fires for the rest of the trip but the gunsmith said it could hapen any time again.

I did notice that the dent was quite shallow on the primer so to me the pin was not impacting enough. This could be the reason with you rifle, and the ammo being remington. The Winchester ammo would have misfired as well if this was the reason, and then you would be seaking there number.

Just a theory..
Old October 25, 2008, 11:52 PM   #10
Antihero47

After inspecting the fired rounds vs the unfired rounds, the pin strike looks exactly the same. Next weekend when I get another shipment of ammo I should know for sure.

Like I said, im going to drop this Remington stuff either way, it just doesnt want to cooperate with my rifle. I'll place these unfired rounds into the chamber and try it again.

Out of 60 rounds of Remington I got 5 misfires. From 20 Winchester, I have none so far. So... lets see what happens after another 100... statistics point to if its my rifle I should get some FTF's.

We'll see...
Old October 26, 2008, 12:30 AM   #11
stevelyn

I generally try to stay away from R-R-R-R-R-Remington :barf: (see? I can't even bring myself to say it) ammo unless there is no way to avoid it.

However, there is always the chance of getting a bad batch of anything.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old October 26, 2008, 12:30 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Since I get more fire failures with bulk .22 remington than federal and .30-30 rem is more than Winchester brand in cost by a few cents I have quit buying Rem ammo all together. I would be a hot sumbuck if I pulled the trigger on a deer for the freezer to get a "CLICK".... I mean fuming mad is an understatement!
I understand the room for duds exists more with the rimfire bulk as vibration could settle all the primer powder to one side but for a centerfire rifle round to fail to fire is just poor quality!
Brent
Old October 26, 2008, 10:21 AM   #13
skydiver3346

Rem. Core-Lokt ammo?

I have shot all different kinds of core-lokt ammo over the years and never experienced a dud.
However, I must say (except for the .35 Rem, 200 gr. core-lokt bullet that shoots awesome) the Winchester brand ammo usually did group better for me at the range for some reason in the last few years.
Old October 26, 2008, 02:59 PM   #14
ziggy222

i find rem ammo to be generally dirty and inaccurate.i also pulled some slugs and examined the powder and found several different kinds of powder in the same shells.i bought 22long rifle ammo a few months back with 22magnum slugs in them.they would not chamber obviously.their slugs i used for reloading have been been acceptable in accuracy but very in weight from slug to slug more than any other that i've reloaded.i like their brass but i rework it,debur the flash holes,trim,and resize.never used their primers.i use cci
Old October 26, 2008, 11:38 PM   #15
DIXIEDOG

Run a straight edge across the head of the rounds that didn't fire. Is the primer seated below flush?
Old October 27, 2008, 12:33 AM   #16
Antihero47

I ran a straight edge on the bottoms and the first rounds primer is sitting flush with the bottom of the round, nothing buldging, and the second round is seated barely a thousandth of an inch below flush... sitting into the round.

Old October 27, 2008, 11:03 AM   #17
bottom rung

They are probably just duds. Remington may not be the best, but they really are not that bad. Contact Remington. I am sure that any one of the many phone numbers could assist you and get you to the ammunition customer service. Remember this stuff is belted out off of a high tech assembly line. Machines will screw up. Out of the many millions of primers that are made every year there are going to be some duds. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Again let the company know and you might be surprised. Ammo problems do occur and companies are quick to get the recall and refund procedure.
Old October 27, 2008, 12:23 PM   #18
Buzzard Bait

I have to wonder

Remington ammo my not be your favorite but I'm not ready to think that it is junk either. I don't believe I saw what type of rifle your firing it in. Could there be a firing pin protrusion problem? I once took apart a Remington 700 and it had a crud build up in the bolt housing that prevented the pin from protruding as far as it should. How old was the ammo and how was it stored? Is the rifle sort of a high mileage type rifle, could it be a little long in the head space department? Maybe a weak or broken spring? Something is wrong with this picture and you need to figure it out like I said the green box may not be your favorite stuff but it will go bang every time when it doesn't it is time to look and see why not.

Buzzard Bait
Old October 27, 2008, 01:49 PM   #19
Antihero47

Purchased the rifle and received it on 10/14/2008. Brand New. Cleaned through and re-oiled. Everything is working fine.

Bought one case of 150gr. and 180gr. at Wally-world from a new shipment the night before. I bought one box of 150gr. from Big 5.

After purchase, the ammunition was stored on the top shelf of my closet for no longer than 3 days, a/c at 76*, carried to the car and carried onto the range... like normal.
Old October 27, 2008, 02:23 PM   #20
Kreyzhorse

I've never had any issues shooting Core-lokts.

Are you sure that those rounds didn't receive a light strike? Compare the firing pin strike on the unfired rounds vs the fired rounds shell casing and make sure the strikes are the same.

The only reason I bring it up is this weekend I was shooting my Swiss Rubin 7.5x55 and had one round fail to fire. The safely removing the round, the primer did have a firing pin strike on it but it was shallower than on the rest of the fired shell casings. Out of the 20 rounds I shot, that was the only light strike I had.
Old October 27, 2008, 02:46 PM   #21
Antihero47

Quote:
After inspecting the fired rounds vs the unfired rounds, the pin strike looks exactly the same. Next weekend when I get another shipment of ammo I should know for sure.
Looked the same.

Quote:
I ran a straight edge on the bottoms and the first rounds primer is sitting flush with the bottom of the round, nothing buldging, and the second round is seated barely a thousandth of an inch below flush... sitting into the round.

Old October 27, 2008, 04:18 PM   #22
Buzzard Bait

it's unusual indeed

Well anything made by man can be flawed or fail in some way. That holds true to the ammo and the rifle like you said a few more rounds may tell the story BE SHURE AND WEAR YOUR SAFTY GLASSES. I would want to be sure of the cause myself before I put that one to work as my hunting rifle. Sorry about questioning the age and condition of the ammo but I have a friend I hunt with that keeps his ammo for his hunting rifle on the dashboard of his pickup truck!@#$%$#@! the box stays there year round this is south Texas the temp on the dash in the summer with the windows up is very high but come season he will reach up there and the box is now generic because the heat and sun have bleached the box white he will pull out a few rounds and head for the blind I don't think he has ever had a problem with the ammo.

Buzzard Bait

i
Old October 27, 2008, 06:29 PM   #23
Slamfire

I looked through the thread, and not once did I find out what make and model of rifle Antihero47 is using.

I am interested in that because there are differences between push feed and controlled feed rifles.

I have a memory of having ignition problems with 284 brass in a K31. The rim thickness and width of my 284 brass was thinner than Swiss brass. So the base was not being held tight against the bolt face. Some rounds took an extra strike.

I suspect that your rifle has a tolerance issue. Either insufficient firing pin extrusion, or maybe the extractor gap is too big. I am certain that factory new ammunition will all go bang if hit hard enough. And that one brand is OK, while the other is not, means to me something dimensional is off.

Heck, maybe the Remington rounds seat deeper in the chamber.

I have shot 30-06 Remington for years, it always has gone bang for me. Brass has been good too. The core lock bullets are so-so for accuracy. I never killed anything with a core lock, so I don't know how they do on game.
Old October 27, 2008, 07:06 PM   #24
King Ghidora

I've shot a couple of hundred rounds of Core Lokt 30.06 since I bought my rifle and I've had exactly one dud. I've had other brands of stuff be much worse in fact. I think my Savage might be hitting a little light on the primers too. I've had several duds from other brands but they have all fired on the second tap. Core Lokt has been the most consistent I've used so far. And it's also been the most consistently accurate. But then again I haven't bought any target ammo or the like. I can shoot one hole groups at 40 yards with Core Lokt in my Savage and MOA at 100 yards when I do my part. That certainly isn't true with other ammo I've tried. My only problem is getting in enough practice or rather getting enough cash together to practice as much as I should. I've got a lot of other breeches to feed.

I wouldn't buy a brick of Remington .22's again but I like their Core Lokt stuff. I have no problems with it. I also like their 12 ga. ammo. I've had all kinds of problems with Federal 12 ga. shells. The brass just isn't right on the Federal 12 ga. stuff I've been shooting or at least it doesn't want to work in my 870 at all. Every round I fire in it gets stuck and must be pushed out with a rod. I know my shotgun has a problem with it because I can shoot shells from the same box in my other 12 ga. (at least I could before I sold it) and not have a problem. I have 6 boxes of Federal 00 buck and two boxes of Hi-Brass that are almost full that I'm going to trade to a friend that owns a gun shop for some Winchester 00 buck.

All guns have ammo they like and ammo they don't like. Sometimes it's a surprise what it is that doesn't work well. Federal is supposed to make some really good 00 buck and it worked great in my other 12 but it won't work right at all in my 870. Go figure.
Old October 27, 2008, 08:29 PM   #25
Antihero47

I have a Rem. 700 SPS.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to be getting some white box stuff ordered online. I would hope to be getting a lot more issues with this stuff then core-lokt. I will be taking my 5 unfired rounds and push them back in and give them another go, and we'll see.

Like I said before, the strikes look the same from the fired on both Winchester and Remington, and reflects the same on the unfired rounds.