The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 13, 2015, 10:17 AM   #1
timpierce

.45 Can For Both 45 &9mm?

Anybody using a .45 can for both calibers? I just received my stamp for my .22 can, and I'm already looking to the next one. I just wonder how effective the .45 would be, used for 9mm also.

Last edited by timpierce; February 13, 2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old February 13, 2015, 01:46 PM   #2
Theohazard

A .45 can shooting 9mm is louder than a dedicated 9mm can, but the difference is barely noticeable. The only real issue is that the can will be a little bit bigger.

If you have any desire to suppress any calibers bigger than 9mm, get a .45 can instead of a 9mm for your first pistol can; it's more versatile.
Old February 13, 2015, 02:08 PM   #3
timpierce

Yeah, I just picked up my 1st can- a Gemtech .22 yesterday at my dealer. Took just a little over 4 months filed on trust. I'm looking to expand so I can shoot 9mm & 45 suppressed.
I'm considering an Osprey.
Old February 13, 2015, 02:12 PM   #4
Theohazard

The Osprey is awesome. Though if you plan to constantly switch it between 9mm and .45, keep in mind that the piston isn't as quick and easy to change due to the offset design, and it requires a specific tool.
Old February 13, 2015, 04:31 PM   #5
TMD

The AAC Ti-Rant is on my short list as my next suppressor. I plan on getting one in .45 because they sell thread adapters and piton kits to use in 9mm and .40S&W as well. There's also an aftermarket thread adapter for 5/8" thread to use on subsonic loads in the .300blackout.
Old February 13, 2015, 05:49 PM   #6
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD
I plan on getting one in .45 because they sell thread adapters and piton kits to use in 9mm and .40S&W as well. There's also an aftermarket thread adapter for 5/8" thread to use on subsonic loads in the .300blackout.
The Ti-Rant is a very good can, but that's not a good reason to get one. Most major manufacturers offer pistons in all those calibers, but AAC doesn't offer one in 5/8x24 for use on 300 Blackout subs, whereas many others do. The one aftermarket option available is for the Ti-Rant .45 only and not the 9mm.

Also, keep in mind that AAC doesn't officially rate the Ti-Rant for use on 300 Blackout, so if something goes wrong they probably won't cover the damage. Whereas companies like SilencerCo do rate their cans for 300 Blackout subs, so you're not voiding the warranty that way.

Also, when it comes to interchangeably, there's one really annoying thing about the Ti-Rant: The pistons for the .45 and 9mm are different, whereas there's no difference between the mounts for the Octane or Osprey in 9mm or .45. This makes availability of mounts more difficult and complicated with the T-Rant.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the Ti-Rant has fewer mounting options and more proprietary mounts than pistol cans from other companies. But otherwise it's a good can.
Old February 13, 2015, 07:10 PM   #7
smee78

I went with the Octane 45
Old February 13, 2015, 08:29 PM   #8
TMD

Quote:
The Ti-Rant is a very good can, but that's not a good reason to get one. Most major manufacturers offer pistons in all those calibers, but AAC doesn't offer one in 5/8x24 for use on 300 Blackout subs, whereas many others do. The one aftermarket option available is for the Ti-Rant .45 only and not the 9mm.

Also, keep in mind that AAC doesn't officially rate the Ti-Rant for use on 300 Blackout, so if something goes wrong they probably won't cover the damage. Whereas companies like SilencerCo do rate their cans for 300 Blackout subs, so you're not voiding the warranty that way.

Also, when it comes to interchangeably, there's one really annoying thing about the Ti-Rant: The pistons for the .45 and 9mm are different, whereas there's no difference between the mounts for the Octane or Osprey in 9mm or .45. This makes availability of mounts more difficult and complicated with the T-Rant.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the Ti-Rant has fewer mounting options and more proprietary mounts than pistol cans from other companies. But otherwise it's a good can.
I'm very familiar with the pros and cons of the Ti-Rant. I already have two AAC cans, a Pilot II for my .22lr's and an SDN-6 for my .300bo's and .308 AR's. I've been very satisfied with them is one reason and the other is a shop near me has them on sale for $550.
Old February 13, 2015, 09:07 PM   #9
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD
I'm very familiar with the pros and cons of the Ti-Rant.
Sorry, in post #5 it sounded like you were picking the Ti-Rant for its versatility, which is the wrong reason to pick it considering it has fewer mounting options than other top cans.
Old June 19, 2015, 08:11 PM   #10
RCT

I have an Innovate Arms Shepherd 45 shop demo. We use it on 9mm hosts almost exclusively. Sounds great and they have plenty of piston options.
It blows away most other cans out there including 9mm specific cans. Today I shot it full-auto on a 9mm Ar-15 host and it was super quiet.

I made few videos today with it. I will try to get them edited and posted this weekend. In one I compare the Gemtech GM-45 to the Innovative Shepherd.

http://innovativearms.com/silencers/shepherd/

https://www.redcircletactical.com/
Old June 19, 2015, 09:01 PM   #11
Sharkbite

I have an Octane 45. Its a great do it all can.

Ive shot it with 9, 40 and 45 for pistol calibers.

Its best with 9mm Subsonics, 40 is horrible (too much backblast and noisy), 45 is ok. I hear that you can now buy a 9mm endcap for the Octane 45. That would make it even better with 9mm.

I would definitely buy a 45 can as a first can. The ability to use it on smaller calibers is a HUGE plus. With a $200 tax on each and months of wait, get the most versatile can
Old June 20, 2015, 02:31 AM   #12
TMD

I ended up getting the octane 45 after all. Filed with a trust back on march 3rd so stamp should be in within a few weeks