The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 1, 2014, 04:56 PM   #1
pylonguy

Picked up my first Browning Hi-power

I finally decided it was time to get a Hi-power.

I won one on gunbroker with very little information and decided to jump on it. I was glad to see it had a nice blued polish and was in very good condition.

It looks stock, still has the magazine disconnect safety. Although it has a trigger pull of about 11 lbs which seems high. I plan on making some changes but I want to try it stock first.

Bringing it to the range this weekend, cant wait to shoot it.
It has a fixed front sight, ambidextrous safety, and a blued finish. Any idea which model this would be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (131.2 KB, 594 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg (126.4 KB, 520 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg (128.2 KB, 512 views)
Old November 1, 2014, 05:10 PM   #2
WVsig

It is looks like a MKIII with a blued finish vs the matte finish. Gun looks stock with ambi safety and fixed sights both of which are standard for a MKIII. The blued models are nicer and more valuable than their matte black counterparts IMHO.

I can make out the serial number on the barrel but if you look at the front of the grip or the barrel you will see the serial number. If you post the serial number we can tell you when it was born. From there we can confirm it is am MKIII.

11 Lbs is about right for a stock BHP depending on its vintage. There are ways to reduce that pull. Removing the mag disconnect might reduce it some but to me it helps the function and the feel of the trigger more than the pull weight. It "seems" lighter after removal but often it is the same weight.

There are a few other ways to reduce the weight of the pull. Messing with the sear spring, changing the mainspring along with the recoil spring and firing pin spring all can help.
Congrats.

Last edited by WVsig; November 1, 2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old November 1, 2014, 05:24 PM   #3
WVsig

Serial number as a PN date code so it is a 1989. Definitely a MKIII.

I recommend reading the late Stephen Camps site. http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/HiPowerComments.html

I would also pick up a copy of BHP dissasembly guide.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/D...ly%20Guide.htm

It is a great reference if you want detail strip or work on your BHP.

Last edited by WVsig; November 1, 2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old November 1, 2014, 05:46 PM   #4
briandg

A piece of advice. Before you take out the trigger safety, first hone and polish the magazine surfaces that it contacts. There is friction there during takeup, that bothers a lot of people, but by a mirror polish on a rough magazine surface, you eliminate almost all of that friction and clean up the feel.

I love the hi power. I wish I had that one, it's a beauty. I'm going to be picking a new one up soon.
Old November 1, 2014, 06:15 PM   #5
UncleEd

FOLLOW WVSIG'S ADVICE!!!!!

Sorry for bellowing but you'll be well served.

Did I mention FOLLOW WVSIG'S ADVICE!!!

Oh, I didn't? Well FOLLOW WVSIG'S ADVICE!!!!

Old November 2, 2014, 08:56 AM   #6
UncleEd

To continue regarding reference by Stephen Camp.

Get his Shooeter's Guide to the Browning Hi Power revised edition. You get it for $30.95
including the shipping cost by sending a check to Camp's widow,
Sandra Camp, PO Box 111, Krum, TX, 76249

Very informative. He also critiques his other favorites, the 1911, the CZ 75 and the Glock 17.
Old November 2, 2014, 10:01 AM   #7
AustinTX

Quote:
FOLLOW WVSIG'S ADVICE!!!!!

Sorry for bellowing but you'll be well served.

Did I mention FOLLOW WVSIG'S ADVICE!!!

Oh, I didn't? Well FOLLOW WVSIG'S ADVICE!!!!
Follow UncleEd's advice.
Old November 2, 2014, 10:46 AM   #8
pylonguy

thanks, looks like I've got some reading to do!

Took it to the range with no problems. I do see where it needs some improvement.

I'd like to get some Spegal grips (if I can find them) and upgrade the sights, which may be tricky considering the front sight is fixed into actual slide. I am pretty sure it will eventually be taking a trip to C&S or Novaks.
Old November 2, 2014, 11:24 AM   #9
briandg

You will never have a wonderful trigger pull. I've heard them slammed over and over about accuracy. People find lots of things to hate about them. The simple truth is that they are truly fine pistols that other people absolutely love in spite of their few shortcomings.

There is an elegance and simplicity to them. They field strip and clean easily. One of the first double stacks. Out of thousands of rounds, I never had malfunctions. I did at one time manage to get failures to feed by shooting one handed and essentially limp wristing.

The only other failure I had was shooting at a marauding raccoon in pitch dark with a dying flashlight with one hand and no sight picture. Still hit him, left a blood trail, but it should have died on the spot. Bad pistol! Bad pistol!

Stupid raccoon had just killed and eaten my daughter's pet duck. I hope he didn't make it. I was going to hang his head on the barn door, but never found the body.
Old November 3, 2014, 01:16 PM   #10
damienph

Hi-Power

My favorite semi-auto has always been the 1911 type pistol, however I had the opportunity to buy this 1969 Hi-Power for under $300 a few years ago. It will never replace my 1911s but I can certainly see myself buying a couple more.

It has a fair amount of finish wear from use and has some damage to the finish from poor storage but it is a good shooting pistol. Still has the safety disconnect; I don't find the trigger pull to be a problem.

Old November 3, 2014, 01:32 PM   #11
WVsig

Quote:
My favorite semi-auto has always been the 1911 type pistol, however I had the opportunity to buy this 1969 Hi-Power for under $300 a few years ago. It will never replace my 1911s but I can certainly see myself buying a couple more.

It has a fair amount of finish wear from use and has some damage to the finish from poor storage but it is a good shooting pistol. Still has the safety disconnect; I don't find the trigger pull to be a problem.
Nice transitional C series gun. One of the reason T series and early C series guns are highly sought after is because they typically had a better trigger pull than the later MKIIs and MKIIIs.

Quote:
You will never have a wonderful trigger pull. I've heard them slammed over and over about accuracy. People find lots of things to hate about them. The simple truth is that they are truly fine pistols that other people absolutely love in spite of their few shortcomings.
I would disagree with the the idea that you cannot have a wonderful trigger pull on a BHP. It will require some work but it is very do able. There are a lot of smiths out there who can do it. They are not target guns even with a lot of $$$$ into them to make them more accurate they are still just a combat handgun. I have seen BHPs that can shoot sub 2" groups at 50 yard which is pretty close to bulleye 1911s and Sig P210s.
Old November 3, 2014, 02:58 PM   #12
briandg

Take what I said in the context it was meant.

That was mainly regarding the wonderful potential of a SA revolver or the 1911 and other designs created for true target use. Olympic free pistols, what was that, measured in ounces?

I'm not sure that a browning can ever have a "wonderful" trigger, when you compare it to other "wonderful" triggers. Off the bench, the BHP isn't great in either accuracy or triggers, right? As you said, it's going to take a whole lot of modification to make that thing into a real target gun, and I believe that a stock 1911 target handgun will cost far less than a modified browning would.

Isn't a new browning already almost as expensive as a springfield 1911 that is factory built for competition?

I believe that the proof of it lies in the fact that you aren't going to find them in competition. I'm continually stunned that some people I know compete with factory Glocks rather than handguns with more accuracy potential.
Old November 3, 2014, 03:32 PM   #13
WVsig

Quote:
Take what I said in the context it was meant.

That was mainly regarding the wonderful potential of a SA revolver or the 1911 and other designs created for true target use. Olympic free pistols, what was that, measured in ounces?

I'm not sure that a browning can ever have a "wonderful" trigger, when you compare it to other "wonderful" triggers. Off the bench, the BHP isn't great in either accuracy or triggers, right? As you said, it's going to take a whole lot wof modification to make that thing into a real target gun, and I believe that a stock 1911 target handgun will cost far less than a modified browning would.

Isn't a new browning already almost as expensive as a springfield 1911 that is factory built for competition?

I believe that the proof of it lies in the fact that you aren't going to find them in competition. I'm continually stunned that some people I know compete with factory Glocks rather than handguns with more accuracy potential.
Can you please define competition for me? I would also question the idea that the 1911 was designed for target use.

The 1911 is a service pistol designed to shoot to a level of combat accuracy. It was a contract pistol that JMB designed to the specs provided by the US Army. It was not made to shoot bullseye competition it was designed to shoot people at combat distances. That said the design lends itself to modification what improves accuracy and shootablity. There are lots of "things" that call themselves a 1911 these days. Many of them have been specialized for one purpose or another but it does not make the 1911 a gun created for true target use.

I disagree that the BHP has poor trigger and it is not accurate out of the box. Put it in a rest and it will outshoot most shooters. Accuracy in shooters hand is rarely about the arrow 99% of the time it is about the Indian. From what I have seen in a mechanical rest most MKIII BHPs are more than capable of 2"-3" groups at 25 yards, depending on ammo and the individual gun, which is not excellent but more than combat accurate. If you want to make it more accurate you have to work with the barrel. Replace it with something like a Barsto and then work on the bushing fit. Some people like Behlert, who has passed, used to make custom bushings to tighten things up. It is not as easy to tighten up a BHP as it is to do on the 1911 but it is not impossible.

As for the trigger it is a combination of things which make it less than perfect out the box. The mainspring is overly heavy. The French wanted a mag disconnect. These are all easily correctable with a little time and less than $20 in parts. From there you end up with a very shootable trigger which again should not cause a shooter issues. Now if you want to take it a step further guys like Yost, Novak, C&S, Don Williams etc.... can make these guns triggers slick. Certainly slicker than a production SA. IMHO there really isn't a SA which is truely a match target gun except in name only.

As to your last statement again one would ask what "competitions" you are speaking to. The BHP these days is not the gun of choice for gun games like IDPA, USPSA etc but that does not make them inaccurate or have poor triggers.

To me a fair comparison would be to compare a gun like a Les Baer 1911 National Match Hardball Pistol, .45 ACP to a custom BHP. You will pay about $2000 for either one and IMHO if you have chosen the right smith you will have very comparable guns. They will both shoot well beyond what most shooters can produce and both will be a joy to own. In the end I would probably still give the nudge to the 1911 but the BHP would not be a redheaded step child. It would be a beauty in its own right. IMHO YMMV

In the end they are what they are. They are a gun which has seen real combat and has been deployed by more Armies in more conflicts than any other pistol that comes to mind over the last 100 years. They are excellent guns but surely are not for everyone. I think that their out of the box excellence can be debated and like most guns there will be come variance but they are a tested design with an elegant look that suits my hands and my shooting ability so I for one will continue to buy them.

Last edited by WVsig; November 3, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old November 3, 2014, 03:44 PM   #14
Erno86

I like the Pachmayer rubber grips on my Hi-Power, but I've been told to avoid using +P 9mm ammo in it.

--- George Orwell
Old November 3, 2014, 03:46 PM   #15
RickB

I bought my HP used, in the original plastic box, with manual, looking like it had seen very little use. The trigger is a pretty crisp 6#. It compares favorably to a friend's HP that had a trigger job; do HPs ever have "good" triggers out of the box?
Polishing the front of the tube can clean up the trigger a bit, and even allow mags to drop free under certain conditions.
I started down the road of removing the *EDIT* magazine disconnect, but read enough comments about sluggish trigger return that it didn't seem worthwhile.
Someday, I'll get some mousetrap mags, and be happy that the trigger is as good as it is.

Last edited by RickB; November 3, 2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old November 3, 2014, 03:52 PM   #16
WVsig

Quote:
Quote:
I like the Pachmayer rubber grips on my Hi-Power, but I've been told to avoid using +P 9mm ammo in it.
Depends on the vintage of the gun. MKIIIs can take a lot more +P because they have the stronger cast frame. Lots of people also swap out the recoil spring if they shoot a lot of +P. Here is a good article from Mr. Camps site:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/B...essureAmmo.htm

I have shot +P in my C series without issue but it does not get a steady diet. With the huge improvement in 9mm JHP technology there are tons of good standard pressure JHP in 124 and 147 grain that work great in a BHP so I do not shoot much +P out of any of mine these days.

My preferred grips are Craig Spegels, Uncle Mikes rubber (designed by Spegel but discontinued and then Navidrex which are micarta. I like thin grips.

Spegel

Uncle Mikes:

Navidrex

Old November 3, 2014, 04:05 PM   #17
WVsig

Quote:
I bought my HP used, in the original plastic box, with manual, looking like it had seen very little use. The trigger is a pretty crisp 6#. It compares favorably to a friend's HP that had a trigger job; do HPs ever have "good" triggers out of the box?
Polishing the front of the tube can clean up the trigger a bit, and even allow mags to drop free under certain conditions.
I started down the road of removing the firing pin block, but read enough comments about sluggish trigger return that it didn't seem worthwhile.
Someday, I'll get some mousetrap mags, and be happy that the trigger is as good as it is.
Sure they can have good triggers out of the box. Was it a commerical gun? MKIII? It also possible someone swapped out the mainspring and adjusted the sear spring a bit. Either way enjoy! Why mess with it if it works!
Old November 3, 2014, 04:24 PM   #18
ammo.crafter

Hi-P

Congrats and enjoy.

Mine is 35+ years old and is as close to a perfect pistol as it gets.

A pleasure to shoot and very accurate.
Old November 3, 2014, 09:56 PM   #19
briandg

Once again, you took everything out of context. Competition? put any of the people who pay large amounts of money competing for large amounts of money or great big trophies at a desk and they will not be using a glock. Other competition? I know several people who compete in local matches with factory glocks, because that's what they want.

Talking about a revolver not being as accurate as a BHP or a 1911? I've never handled a bhp that was as accurate as my Combat masterpiece, and the smith cost far less than a browning did. The trigger on a good revolver fired SA has no take up. No slack. Pull a good revolver and it snaps.

If the BHP was as good as a 1911, accuracy wise, there would be a hi power in the stores on occasion. I have never that I can recall found more than one or two on the shelves, but right now I could drive through town and find a hundred or so match ready 1911s. The general population doesn't consider the BHP to be anything but a combat gun, and even at that, how many people actually buy them? there will be a ten foot section, four shelves high, if I go to academy, devoted to polymers, but there will not be a single Hi power. I don't EVER recall saying that the 1911 was designed as a target/competion gun at any time in any sense. I said that you can pick up target tuned 1911 handguns anywhere, and that buying a springfield semi-custom will not cost much more than a BHP. If I have to take a browning to a top level gunsmith to get a handgun that will match my K38 in smoothness and accuracy, why? If I have to do the same to beat a semicustom 1911, it seems kinda pointless.

The browning is a great gun. I like it. It is the red headed stepson, like it or not. It's not popular. In fact, I rarely hear anything good about it, most people complain about it because it's not something else. That doesn't mean that it's bad, it just means that thousands of people don't like it, and like something else.
Old November 3, 2014, 10:13 PM   #20
jaughtman

Congrats.....

My BHP is easily my most accurate pistol....not sure where they get a knock on their accuracy. Mine is a MKIII also but does wear Spegel grips. Call him and he will tell you what he has in stock - if you want some simple walnut you might not have to wait long.

J
Old November 3, 2014, 10:29 PM   #21
briandg

Quote:
Can you please define competition for me? I would also question the idea that the 1911 was designed for target use.

Once again, you took everything out of context. Competition? put any of the people who pay large amounts of money competing for large amounts of money or great big trophies at a desk and they will not be using a glock. Other competition? I know several people who compete in local matches with factory glocks, because that's what they want.

Talking about a revolver not being as accurate as a BHP or a 1911? I've never handled a bhp that was as accurate as my Combat masterpiece, and the smith cost far less than a browning did. The trigger on a good revolver fired SA has no take up. No slack. Pull a good revolver and it snaps.

If the BHP was as desireable as a 1911, there would be a hi power in the stores on occasion. I have never that I can recall found more than one or two on the shelves, but right now I could drive through town and find two dozen or so match ready 1911s. The general population doesn't consider the BHP to be anything but a combat gun, and even at that, how many people actually buy them? there will be a ten foot section, four shelves high, if I go to academy, devoted to polymers, but there will not be a single Hi power.

I don't EVER recall saying that the 1911 was designed as a target/competion gun at any time in any sense. I said that you can pick up target tuned 1911 handguns anywhere, and that buying a springfield semi-custom will not cost much more than a BHP. If I have to take a browning to a top level gunsmith to get a handgun that will match my K38 in smoothness and accuracy, why? If I have to do the same to beat a semicustom 1911, it seems kinda pointless.

The browning is a great gun. I like it. It is the red headed stepson, like it or not. It's not popular. In fact, I rarely hear anything good about it, most people complain about it because it's not something else. If I went into any of the gun shops around here and asked around, (as I have frequently) customers wouldn't know what one was. They couldn't recognize one. They wouldn't care. It's not what they want. That doesn't mean that it's bad, it just means that thousands of people like something else. It's a reflection on the quality of the shopper, not on the product.

And I will grant you, that if you spend enough money on one, you can have a hi power with a great trigger, and it can be accurate. A match barrel and closely machined slide and frame are a great start already.

Last edited by briandg; November 3, 2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old November 3, 2014, 11:16 PM   #22
AustinTX

Quote:
My BHP is easily my most accurate pistol....not sure where they get a knock on their accuracy.
Unless you have a stable full of very low-quality pistols aside from your Hi-Power, it's not that your Hi-Power is easily more accurate than your other semi-autos -- it's that you shoot it more accurately than those other pistols. Other high-quality mass-production semi-autos will display similar mechanical accuracy.
Old November 4, 2014, 09:17 AM   #23
WVsig

Quote:
Unless you have a stable full of very low-quality pistols aside from your Hi-Power, it's not that your Hi-Power is easily more accurate than your other semi-autos -- it's that you shoot it more accurately than those other pistols. Other high-quality mass-production semi-autos will display similar mechanical accuracy.
I agree with this but I would also add that I do not think the BHP is less accurate than its peers as others have suggested.
Old November 4, 2014, 12:47 PM   #24
AustinTX

Quote:
I agree with this but I would also add that I do not think the BHP is less accurate than its peers as others have suggested.
Agreed.
Old November 4, 2014, 08:15 PM   #25
briandg

the Hi power is just as solid as any other semiauto handgun based on the same principles, as far as accuracy. The slide and barrel and the barrel lockup are absolutely as solid as anything else. There really are not any genuine reasons that you couldn't for example put one on a ransom rest and equal or beat nearly anything in the same price/quality range.

I have heard so many people also knocking on 9mm ammo as being inherently inaccurate.

!?

I can see where it may be a bit harder to get optimal accuracy out of the ammo for some assorted reasons, but I do not at all believe that the 9mm is inherently inaccurate.

In fact, my father in law told me I'd have to be an absolute moron to buy the hi power.

"Inaccurate, weak, fragile, and a 9mm! 9mm can't hit the broad side of a barn!"

The only thing I didn't like about them was the trigger linkage, it seemed a bit less than perfect.

Tags
bhp , browning , hi-power