The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2012, 09:31 AM   #1
rebs

dillon spray case lube ?

Is there any other place to buy this other than directly from dillon ?
Old October 6, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Kevin Rohrer

Probably Brian Enos and certainly EBay. But there are many alternatives that are lower priced, like Imperial Sizing Wax and ther Dry Neck Lube.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old October 6, 2012, 02:52 PM   #3
BigJimP

I have a local gun dealer that carries it ...but I see it at gunshows...and quite a few places..
Old October 6, 2012, 03:09 PM   #4
zxcvbob

I think Cabela's sells it. They also sell their own knock-off for $1 a bottle cheaper.
Old October 6, 2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Vance

Quote:
Kevin Rohrer
Probably Brian Enos and certainly EBay. But there are many alternatives that are lower priced, like Imperial Sizing Wax and their Dry Neck Lube.
Using a wax is too time consuming hence the need for a sizing spray. I like Dillon's case lube spray. Lay the cases out, give them a spray and let them dry for 10 - 15 minutes. No need to rotate and spray again, the stuff will spread itself around the case.
Old October 6, 2012, 07:19 PM   #6
rjrivero

Make your own. It's lanolin oil diluted in anhydrous isopropyl alcohol.

If you get the Lanolin directly from a health food store, and the Isoprpyl alcohol (>90%) from Walgreens, you can make a ton of it for a few bucks.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:15 PM   #7
rebs

Quote:
Make your own. It's lanolin oil diluted in anhydrous isopropyl alcohol.

If you get the Lanolin directly from a health food store, and the Isoprpyl alcohol (>90%) from Walgreens, you can make a ton of it for a few bucks.
Do you or anyone else have a formula for mixing it ?
Old October 7, 2012, 12:56 AM   #8
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs
1:12 Lanolin-Alcohol works pretty good for me. You will need to find what works well for you.
Old October 7, 2012, 08:16 AM   #9
Kevin Rohrer

Sizing Wax is the Bomb

Quote:
Using a wax is too time consuming hence the need for a sizing spray. I like Dillon's case lube spray. Lay the cases out, give them a spray and let them dry for 10 - 15 minutes.
You are welcome to wait those 10-15 minutes for that handful of cases. I prefer to get started immediately and do as many as I want w/o interruption.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old October 7, 2012, 10:13 AM   #10
Vance

except I can lube 2 or 3 hundred or more at a time and not have to stop every 20 or so that you did.
Old October 7, 2012, 02:21 PM   #11
zxcvbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...5&postcount=58

You should be able to substitute castor oil (the drugstore kind) for the lanolin. It is also soluble in alcohol and is also an EP lubricant, but the ratio may be different. I'm going to try it if I ever finish this bottle of Dillon spray.
Old October 7, 2012, 02:33 PM   #12
BigJimP

I shoot a lot ... 8 - 12 boxes a week ( so call it 500 rds a week X 50 wks = 25,000 rds a yr thru my handguns...

and I don't think I've used up a bottle of Dillon spray lube in the last 2 yrs...and 100% of what I reload is case lubed.../ you don't bathe your cases in this stuff...you just spritz a little on them - let them dry ....

Is it really worth mixing up some formula - that may or may not work as well ...when you might use a bottle like I do in 2 yrs ....or some guys, a bottle, will last them 10 yrs....
Old October 12, 2012, 03:16 PM   #13
rjrivero

I don't lube my handgun brass at all. Only necked cartridges. I do believe it IS worth lubing my own. I never did sit down and do a formal round count. I shoot a couple three gun series in the summer and load all winter.