The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 29, 2011, 11:54 PM   #1
makarov

.223 and .22LR from same suppressor

I searched the threads and there was a similar post in 2007. Does anyone know of a decent suppressor that will handle .223 and is user servicable to clean for shooting. 22's?
Weight isn't a huge concern. I live in Washington State and would like to buy a suppressor for target shooting. Have a national match style AR and shoot a lot of. 22. Would get a CZ with threaded barrel and maybe a pistol. Looking at a durable thread mount can. Can really only afford to do this once. So quality is the first priority. I know I should probably buy two, but if I can buy one that will work for both and last a long time that would be best.
Old May 30, 2011, 09:35 AM   #2
chadstrickland

Go check out surfire..any .223 can will work for a. 22...just make sure you can take them appart...but remember on a .223 you will still hear a loud crack unless you use sub sonic ammunition..have fun..hope I helped
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old May 30, 2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Willie Lowman

The Tac-16 is a take apart .223 can. It doesn't have a good reputation for db reduction though.

Some really good .22 cans can be had for some really low dollars these days. Good .223 cans are still kinda pricey.
Old May 30, 2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Crosshair

Quote:
The Tac-16 is a take apart .223 can. It doesn't have a good reputation for db reduction though.
I have a TAC-16, it may not be top of the line, but its hardly trash. For some like me, the ability to take it apart is a major advantage and worth the performance penalty, making a rebuild easy in case of a baffle strike, especially in light of the Gemtax.

The main complaint is that it frequency shifts the report to a high frequency sound. This makes it louder and less pleasant to the shooter, but it is quieter from a distance as high frequency sounds do not travel as far as low frequency sounds. Other cans do a better job of suppressing the shot to a lower frequency sound, making it more pleasant to the shooter, but more audible over distance. The TAC-16 does a very good job of suppressing, it's just that compared to more modern cans it falls short.

Plenty of people buy 308 cans and shoot 5.56 through it, getting suppression levels similar to the TAC-16.

On the other hand, I would not recommend it for 22 LR use. It is too heavy for the task. I haven't looked at prices of 5.56 cans lately either. When I bought my TAC-16 it made a lot of sense financially, but I don't know if that is still the case. Prices of cans has come way down in the last 5 years or so and performance has significantly increased. What was a good idea 5+ years ago probably isn't today. YMMV

/Thanks for putting up with my rambling.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:38 PM   #5
makarov

Thanks for the replies so far. Great! I have been a member on here since 2000. This is why I keep coming back. Intelligent thoughtful replies.

So, I think I have decided to just buy a dedicated .22LR can and wait on the .223. I shoot so much more .22 and with the .223 being supersonic anyway, I think a high quality .22 can is the way to go.

I did find a suppressor made by Liberty that you can take apart to clean and it is supposed to be for .223 and 22LR. It is HEAVY! 24 ounces. I don't mind it being a little heavy, but would like to use it on a .22 pistol for practice.

So, I have kind of narrowed it down to:

GemTech Alpine
GemTech Outback IId (now user serviceable)
SWR Spectre
AAC Element

They all look good, if there are any others I should look at, or if any of these have problems, would love to hear more from actual users of any of these.

My priorities are:

1. Durability/longevity - only want to do this once... *quality*
2. Decible rating
3. Weight
4. Price (don't mind spending money for quality)
Old May 31, 2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Willie Lowman

I have a SWR Spectre. Very happy with it's performance. I use it on 10/22 and Sig Mosquito.

I can't speak on the other cans you mentioned as I've never seen/heard them in person.
Old May 31, 2011, 03:02 PM   #7
a.lol.cat

I'd add the Silencerco Sparrow 22 to that list, I'm leaning towards it for my first suppressor.

Weight - 6.5 oz
Diameter - 1.062"
Length - 5.08"
Sound reduction - 41dB*
*take manufactures numbers with a grain of salt.

They use Multi Part Containment (MPC) to isolate the baffles from the serial numbered tube. So in theory the baffles could take a hit and you'd only be out the replacement cost of them, not the whole suppressor and $200 stamp.

Old June 1, 2011, 10:33 PM   #8
Crosshair

Quote:
They use Multi Part Containment (MPC) to isolate the baffles from the serial numbered tube. So in theory the baffles could take a hit and you'd only be out the replacement cost of them, not the whole suppressor and $200 stamp.
That is true of any takedown 22 rimfire suppressor. The advantage with the MPC is that you don't need a dowel, a mallet, and 45 minutes of time to take the can apart.