The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 22, 2009, 01:53 AM   #26
kiwi56

suppressors

I think where a lot of the arguments come from is when people say their weapons are silenced, this happens to be my pet hate. Silence(d) is a poor choice of a word as there has probably never been a silencer made that was totally silent and by this I mean having a weapon discharged in a silent enviroment and not being able to detect a sound from four feet away or for that matter doing a decibel check in a chamber with a sound level meter. Silent, silenced or for that matter silencer are words I choose not to use. I have fired plenty of suppressed weapons and a few were real quiet but none of them were totally silent so lets call them what they are, suppressors or sound moderators.
I get the impression this silencer thing is a bit like car dealers selling a car for $24,995 in stead of $25,000 or saying the glass is half full instead of half empty. Silence(d)(r) means exactly that, ie no noise.
Old July 23, 2009, 12:35 AM   #27
RAnb

I call my suppressors silencers. This is because the word silencer is a legal term in the USA that covers all devices used on the muzzle of the firearm intended to reduce the noise by any amount. It also eliminates any confusion in that no one is going to think I am talking about a flash suppressor.

I also say the firearm is suppressed, not silenced. It kind of bugs me when I hear someone brag about how "noiseless" their guns are when used with a silencer. They must be hard of hearing if they are speaking of a center fire rifle.

Ranb
Old July 23, 2009, 06:53 AM   #28
MLeake

Pistol grip guns...

... never heard they are for "spraying from the hip."

But I assume the reference must have been to rifles or shotguns with full-stock or tele-stock plus pistol grip, not a pistol-grip shotgun with no butt-stock whatever.

Those, you don't spray from the hip, but you do shoot from the hip. Guy at a range I used to frequent in FL proved why you don't raise a pistol-grip 12 gauge (no butt) to eye level to shoot. Smacked himself in the face real good, and got banned from bringing shotguns to that range....

...so some pistol grip guns are for shooting from the hip, though not "spraying." And anybody who says otherwise, well, that immediately tells me....
Old July 25, 2009, 10:26 PM   #29
kiwi56

243 suppressor

The big problem I can see with most of the medium to high powered suppressors is the extra length and weight they put on the barrel and getting sufficent volume in the silencer itself so pressure does not become an issue, this tends to make them a little awkward to use gut generally they are loads of fun to shoot. Having witnessed a fellow shooters can blow an end cap off on his 308 and scatter baffles all over the range you need to select not only the right design but also the correct materials for it to be constructed in.
Some of the ones over this way are being constructe with a collet system to hold them on the the barrel rather than threading.

Last edited by kiwi56; July 26, 2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old July 26, 2009, 08:37 PM   #30
James K
Member In Memoriam

PTK and others are partially correct. You can silence a rifle/pistol firing a supersonic round as far as the noise from gas escape goes. But a supersonic bullet creates a "sonic boom", that is heard downrange as a sharp crack. That is a result of the bullet's speed and there is no way any "silencer" attached to the rifle can quiet it unless it allows enough gas escape before bullet exit to reduce the velocity below the speed of sound.

The old Maxim silencer, probably the best (and most expensive) ever made, would reduce the sound of M1903 rifle to the click of the firing pin IF the bullet was fired directly into a backstop. But once the rifle is fired down range, that "crrrraaaaaaaaccccccccckkkkkkk" can be easily heard.

That is why folks say you can't silence a rifle firing bullets at high velocity, not that you can't silence the noise from the precursor wave and the escape of gas from the muzzle.

Jim
Old March 21, 2012, 05:41 PM   #31
TBomb1989

There is a difference between a SILENCER and a SUPRESSOR. If it a supersonic round, all you can do is surpress it. I hate when people mistake a silencer with a surpressor!
Old March 21, 2012, 06:05 PM   #32
zoomie

Nice first post. So I guess you can "silence" a subsonic bullet? Or maybe you just suppress those, too. The words are used interchangeably by everyone from the feds to the manufacturers.
Old March 21, 2012, 09:37 PM   #33
NESHOOTER

Talk about bring something '' the orginal post'' up from the dead... anyhow speaking to a YHM rep said in a pinch you can use a 5.56 OD suppressor for a .243 just ensure the flashhider is on straight and inspect it before firing but the .30 cal will do the job everytime.
Old March 21, 2012, 11:17 PM   #34
Willie Lowman

Quote:
There is a difference between a SILENCER and a SUPRESSOR. If it a supersonic round, all you can do is surpress it. I hate when people mistake a silencer with a surpressor!
Wait, what? Mistake a silencer with a suppressor? They are the same thing!

The inventor of the darn things called them "silencers." People have been using the term SILENCER since day one.

Get over it.

And what does the round being supersonic have to do with the report of the gun? That is what a silencer effects, it has nothing to do with noise produced by the bullet's flight or impact.

Last edited by Willie Lowman; March 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old March 22, 2012, 12:47 PM   #35
RAnb

TBomb1989,

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at with your post, but subsonic bullets are not noiseless either. When I suppressed my 45 acp Enfield and shot 200 grain swc at 1050 fps, they made a humming noise on the way to the target. I thought it was transonic noise so I lowered the powder charge to get 900 fps and got the same noise. In neither case was it a sonic boom I was hearing, but merely the sound of an object passing through the air.

Silencers (suppressors, mufflers, moderators) suppress muzzle noise. Silencer as it is used by most people is a noun, not a verb. It is also the legal term used by the feds.

Ranb

Last edited by RAnb; March 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old March 22, 2012, 12:54 PM   #36
RAnb

Quote:
anyhow speaking to a YHM rep said in a pinch you can use a 5.56 OD suppressor for a .243 just ensure the flashhider is on straight and inspect it before firing but the .30 cal will do the job everytime.
When I made my first 223 silencer, it had a bore of nearly .300" This was good enough to allow the use of a .243 as it aligned well with the bore, but I never did use it on my .243 winchester as it was built for pressures and powder charges one expects from the 223 and the 243 has higher pressure and powder charges. I will use it on my 22-250 with the higher peak pressure, but with the longer barrel on my varmit rifle, the pressure should be below that it encounters on the 223.

In any case, talk to the manufacturer and check alignment prior to "off-label" use.

Ranb