The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 18, 2007, 04:37 PM   #1
oybor

Is this legal???

I am considering adding a little more security to my home defence, and was wondering if anyone knows if this is legal? also is this regulated by the state or federal gov.
Thanks Oy-Bor
Old September 18, 2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The minimum (US Federal) legal shotgun barrel length is 18 inches; overall length must be 26+ inches. Read the specs.

I saw a guy knock his front tooth out with one of those things. He got tired of not hitting anything shooting from the hip which looks so kewl in the movies, held it up in front of his face to aim, and found that 12 gauge recoil was stronger than his arms. Get a real gun.
Old September 18, 2007, 05:11 PM   #3
steveno

when Pachmyr first came out with their pistol grip conversion I just had to have one. I tried it with a Brenneke slug short mag and the recoil was WOW(I'm not sure if I hit what I was shooting at either). I didn't get hurt but it was close. the pistol grip lasted for that one shot and that was enough. I then tried a Choate folding stock and that wasn't a heck of a lot better because there isn't any give in the steel. My 870 now has the original woodstock on it
Old September 18, 2007, 06:24 PM   #4
kgpcr

They look cool and shoot like ****. dont buy a gun to look cool buy one that shoots well. Good gun for a Rambo wannabe or a chairborne commando
Smith M&P 40
Old September 18, 2007, 06:31 PM   #5
xrocket

For a real no nonsense home defense shotgun you might want to look into the FN TPS 12 gage. They run around $500. from Tanner's in PN. Look at Gunbroker.com.

Mine has been a real hoot at the range. I added a shoulder saver pad and haven't looked back.
Old September 18, 2007, 07:24 PM   #6
oybor

Thanks for all the input, I will take your advise, with all the home invasions going on (and we live remote) plus my age, and I think anyone would get pretty shaken, I just do not think a pistol would do it for me, I have several and under controled conditions am half-way good, I also have a couple of shotguns, but I would like something more compact (I want to fasten it somehow behind my bedroom door (velcro and a holder of some sort) I'll figure that out later. I found this on the same web site, I think it is what I am looking for, and the price is right, any and all opinions welcome.
we live in a more dangerous world, than it was years ago, Thanks again Oy-Bor
http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm
Old September 18, 2007, 07:30 PM   #7
Smitty in CT

I think these might be useful for a boat or an RV, where space is limited...

Other than that....

With reduced recoil buckshot a PG only isn't too bad.... it's still not fun, but it can be done.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old September 18, 2007, 09:21 PM   #8
Desert01

Smitty, keep your 930 SPX. Other then for breaching the Pistol grip only shotguns are toys IMHO
Old September 18, 2007, 09:31 PM   #9
chris in va

Or get a regular Mossberg and put a Knoxx stock on it. They even have a pistol grip only version now.

I have this one on my 500. http://www.knoxx.com/products/SpecOps_Stock.php
Old September 18, 2007, 09:33 PM   #10
Smitty in CT

Well, I don't have a boat OR an RV... so no worries, there....

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old September 19, 2007, 08:20 AM   #11
Eghad

I have something similar to that I picked up pretty cheap and a stock is going on it. If you just have to have something like that you might want to get it in .410 ga with less recoil. If you have trouble shouldering a regular shotgun you might want to take it to the gunsmith and get the stock cut to length for you. Makes a world of difference when it fits you.

Taurus makes a pistol that shoots .410 and .45 colt. I have not had a chance to try one and have no idea what the recoil is.

As far as the tube...you can buy what you need at a hardware store and make your own.

NRA Life Member
Old September 19, 2007, 03:38 PM   #12
PointOneSeven

If its only purpose is home defense, it's a fine weapon. Other than that, it's good for a few chuckles blowing up pumpkins and melons, and that's about it.

I wanted to saw/shave down the handle on a beater shotgun of mine, only to figure out after already sawing the barrel down to 18", pistol gripping it would take it under the 26" OAL .
Old September 20, 2007, 11:56 AM   #13
Yellowfin

Ya know it always strikes me as odd that those are always pump guns when automatic would cut down a lot of the recoil and make it a lot more shootable.
Old September 20, 2007, 03:51 PM   #14
Diesel1

It's been said a few times already but those things just don't feel that good to shoot. My brother has one that I have shot a few times and I not being a girly man, thought it hurt. I would go for a full stock shotgun myself.

Last edited by Diesel1; September 20, 2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old September 21, 2007, 10:13 AM   #15
3 weelin geezer

Yellowfin, its not about the thing's recoil, its about how cool it sounds and how big it makes the shooter's cojones seem when they are holding this thang at their side.
Old October 5, 2007, 03:53 PM   #16
pinstripe

You have just got to love Hollywood!
Old October 5, 2007, 07:04 PM   #17
Ruger4570

I guess I will just take my chance with a Berreta 390 Semi and 28" barrels. But, then again I haven't had a problem nor has anyone in the neighborhood.
Old October 5, 2007, 07:08 PM   #18
joshua

I think piltol grip shotguns can be very useful, but it is mostly in tight places or you want it conceilable under a jacket. Usually a shorter barrel will be needed requiring a tax stamp unless you are LE and it's for work. I wouldn's shoot 3" mags through a pistol grip shotgun! For home defense, I'll take one with an 18.5" barrel and synthetic stock, it is still manueverable and easier to control with full power loads. josh
Old October 5, 2007, 07:39 PM   #19
Thoreau

I agree with Chris. Get a Knoxx SpecOps stock, with maybe a customized limbsaver buttpad. I tried shooting that gun, and you just can't hit a damn thing. I have a Mossberg 590 with the above stock and I can tap a target at 100 yards. Also, I don't get bruising on my shoulder or get my hand torn off from the recoil. It's not about how big or strong you are, it's how the weapon is used. I would rather stick a samurai sword in that case than a pistol grip 12 guage. Planning for emergencies are great, but if its crap when it's peacetime, it'll be deadly crap when it's wartime.

Heheh.. "chairborne commando". Thats funny. I'm easily amused.
Old October 5, 2007, 07:52 PM   #20
T. O'Heir

Nothing on Earth is more useless than a shotgun with no stock.
Old October 5, 2007, 09:34 PM   #21
Bill DeShivs

In 20 ga., a pistol gripped shotgun is not a bad little gun. It takes a lot of practice to get good with it. I'm going to put a stock on mine.
Old October 6, 2007, 03:14 AM   #22
SCREAMIII2006

No pistol gripped shotguns allowed at public range.
I asked if a AR style was ok,they said sure,the pistol gripped only shotguns were banned because a few dum dums held them up to aim and lost teeth.
Old October 6, 2007, 03:45 AM   #23
tplumeri

Some years ago (20?) mossberg offered a 500 pump that came with an 18.5 barrell and a 28 inch. also came with full wood stock and a poly pistol grip.
i bought it for the short barrell and pistol grip. tough gun to fire more than once! had many a hip pointer practicing with it. when terminator movie came out i tried firing it one handed like arnold did. barrell came back across the top of my head requiring 10 stitches.
i traded the gun for a pre 64 winchester 94 lever. much happier now.
i did buy another mossberg a couple years ago. 500A with 20 inch barrell. its mounted on the back of the headboard of my bed.
live and learn
Old October 6, 2007, 03:46 AM   #24
oldbillthundercheif

I think the main point of that thing is that the tube floats. If your city is vulnerabe to flooding a gun that floats could be seen as superior to a gun that will drag you to the bottom.

A canoe and an AK47 would be better, but it does not look like a totally worthless option.
Old October 6, 2007, 04:58 PM   #25
steaknuggets

Just out of curiosity, other than the pistol grip, how is the JIC different than the regular mossberg 500? Thanks in advance.