The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 30, 2007, 10:21 AM   #1
Omega blood

Spark Arrester required?

I was looking for places to hunt and while looking the the San Bernardino National Forest site it says spark arresters are required for off road vehicles.
From what I gather they are required on all national forests.
The only off road vehicles I was going to use was my suburban.
The site gives some legal speak at the bottom and I also looked at the vehicle code website but still know as to whether or not I need one on my truck.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...arrester.shtml
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c5a2.htm

Can someone help me out, I don't speak legalese.
Old July 30, 2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Scorch

Your Suburban is not an off-road vehicle (OHV or Off-Highway Vehicle). OHVs are vehicles specifically designed for off-highway use, and are not licensed for highway use. I am assuming this Suburban is licensed for highway use, like most Suburbans. If you read the info in your link
Quote:
"CVC 38366. (a) Notwithstanding Section 4442 of the Public Resources Code, and except for vehicles with mufflers as provided in Article 2 (commencing with Section 27150) of Chapter 5 of Division 12, no . . .
you will see that your street-legal Suburban is not affected by this rule. However, some National Forests do require heat shields under the catalytic converters of 4WD vehicles.
Old July 30, 2007, 01:04 PM   #3
Omega blood

Thanks Scorch, I had read that part and proceeded to try and read the vehicle codes it refers to and got more confused.
Old July 30, 2007, 06:14 PM   #4
armedandsafe

Even if the NF you are visiting dows not require a heat shield under the cat, it is a good idea to have one. Cats get hot enough to start instant fires in dry grass or low brush. I have fought enough stubble field fires to know whereof I speak. It is only slightly embarrassing to be fighting a fire and starting another one at the same time, as we found out when we took delivery of our first pickups with cats.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."