The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 26, 2006, 04:25 PM   #1
elm8366

.50 bmg suppressor

I recently came into some money and I am wondering how much it would cost to get a suppressor for my Barrett M-99. Also, will a can act like a muzzle brake and reduce recoil?
Old November 26, 2006, 06:07 PM   #2
VUPDblue

There are definitely some out there. The Stormfront comes to mind. Only problem is that most BMG suppressor manufacturers only sell them to .mil types Anyway, from what I have heard about them, they do not act as a brake and actually increase felt recoil. Take that for what it's worth as I have never tried one myself.
Old November 26, 2006, 07:03 PM   #3
elm8366

ouch! thank you

I guess I will put my money toward getting my Rem 700 PSS suprressed or getting that mac 11 i've always wanted. If anyone else has a good idea on how to blow 4k I'm all ears. I feel that since the dems took over congress its now or never on class 3.
Old November 26, 2006, 07:20 PM   #4
VUPDblue

These are worth a look:
http://www.gem-tech.com/STORMFRONT.html
http://www.swrmfg.com/X50Details.asp?ID=13
Old November 27, 2006, 12:08 AM   #5
Chaingunner

If you REALLY need to blow 4K dollars, you could just write me a check.

Otherwise, I "+1" that MAC

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis."
Old November 27, 2006, 12:07 PM   #6
Zak Smith

JET has sold 50BMG suppressors to regular people.

They do increase recoil considerably compared to the same rifle with one of the good brakes.

[ link to LARGER image ]
Old November 28, 2006, 02:10 AM   #7
Maser

Cool pic!! I would have thought a can for a .50 BMG would be bigger.
Old November 30, 2006, 08:50 AM   #8
mxwelch

That's why I'm glad I work in a machine shop. Once my paperwork comes back I can just make it.
Old April 22, 2007, 11:59 PM   #9
WoofersInc

Check out these guys. 50 BMG suppressor is around $1600.

http://www.awcsystech.com/
Old April 24, 2007, 01:03 AM   #10
Crosshair

The military tested several 50 BMG suppressors. None were hearing safe. I can't find the PDF that gives the rundown. But basicly, weight and recoil were all problematic. Some did quiet the big 50 down quite a bit, but you will still need plugs and/or muffs when shooting.
Old April 24, 2007, 01:08 AM   #11
Zak Smith

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2006smallarms/semick.pdf
Old April 24, 2007, 12:41 PM   #12
Crosshair

Ya, that's the PDF. Thanks for posting that.
Old May 19, 2007, 03:23 PM   #13
douglasschuckert

AWC Systech..

The Turbodyne (misspelled, but who cares) is one of the absolute BEST 50bmg cans out there.

When we were shooting the M82A1's out of windows in Iraq we used the Turbodyne suppressor. The shooter didn't 'have' to wear ears, but you still would want too. The spotter would need to wear them (the cuncussion alone from that round is enought to kill your ear drums... its not really the noise).

The suppressor not only lowers the report to a comfortable (as can be) level when completely outside, it also greatly lowered the felt recoil. The factory break on the M82 makes the weapon feel exactly like a 12ga with '3.5" 00 Buck'. With the suppressor it feals like a 12ga bird shot. Its very expensive, but a WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL suppressor!

Due to the laws of physics, a suppressor is the worlds best and most effective muzzle break and flash hider. The fact that they diminish sound is an added plus.

An MP5K-PDW on full auto will 'pinch' just a hair when shot unsuppressed, but you screw on a silencer to the front, and the thing just vibrates against your shoulder or in your hands.

The M14 (7.62x51 aka 308) will raise up on you on full auto, but with a can, its a lot eaiser to control.
Old May 19, 2007, 04:37 PM   #14
VUPDblue

Quote:
Due to the laws of physics, a suppressor is the worlds best and most effective muzzle break
Nope. On very large calibers such as .50BMG, the suppressors actually increase felt recoil as compared to one of the good brakes avaible for that cartridge.
Old May 19, 2007, 06:47 PM   #15
Zak Smith

We hashed the recoil issue out a bit over on SnipersHide, but we were talking about 338 Lapua. Half the guys swore the can increased recoil over the "best" brakes, and half the guys swore the can reduced recoil over some different brakes. It turns out the guys who said they definitely decreased recoil over the brakes were using reflex cans made of SS that weighed about 4 lbs, and the guys who said they had more recoil than the best brakes were shooting cans that weighed 1.5 - 2.5 lbs. Go figure.

Adding 6.2 lbs to a rifle is going to reduce recoil (I found a reference to a Turbodyne 50BMG model that weighs 6.2 lbs).
Old May 19, 2007, 08:58 PM   #16
VUPDblue

A year or so ago I was at a shoot hosted by my C3 dealer. I got the opportunity to shoot a M99 with a brake and then with a suppressor. I swore that the recoil was greater with the suppressor. I wish I could recall what suppressor was used, but it didn't seem like an unusually heavy one.
Old May 20, 2007, 05:21 PM   #17
douglasschuckert

50 Suppressed...

I can't speak for other people, but the .50 can we used helped both recoil and noise. The .50 is a BIG round! Its VERY harsh to shoot regardless, but with the turbodyne, it was pleasurable (as possible)... given the circumstances.

I've seen the 338 fired quiet, but haven't shot it suppressed. Out of all the long range rounds, the 338 I liked the best. The 50 was great for shooting out engines or through walls or for shots that were .5 mile or greater distance, but for all sniper uses, the 338 was my personal preference. Some of our guys even used the 7mm. It was basically what the individual operator wanted to bring with 'em. Due to the weight, the 50 wasn't chosen unless we knew extremely long shots were to be called for or vehicle demobilization would be needed. Even in the kind of condition we were in physically, a 30+lbs rifle is a bear to lug up and down mountains and stairs.... it sucked. Hell, after a while even the M249 becomes cumbersome.

Most of the time we just wished for the AirForce to get off their butts and drop a Daisy Cutter or two :-) Unfortunately, the combatants were way too imbedded with indigenous personnel for air strikes to be effective or even used. Under a few situations AS were called in, but always danger close, and noone likes that.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old May 20, 2007, 05:47 PM   #18
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I recently came into some money and I am wondering how much it would cost to get a suppressor for my Barrett M-99. Also, will a can act like a muzzle brake and reduce recoil?
FYI...
Unless something has changed since Barrett Armorer's school last year, putting a non-Barrett suppressor on a Barrett rifle will void the warranty. As of last year, they did not recognize any 3rd party vendors' suppressors as being to their standard and as such do not allow them on their guns if the warranty is to remain in place.

I would check with Barrett to see if they still remains true or if they have a suggested suppressor make and model you should use.
Old May 20, 2007, 06:28 PM   #19
douglasschuckert

Dns:

Thats a great point. I totally forgot about that! It will void the warranty. Although you really shouldn't have to ever use the factory warranty. Barrett makes a ROCK SOLID gun. I've seen the Barrett M82 rock and roll full auto! Its one tough gun!! The M-99 is a bolt gun (single shot) so realistically speaking, you're never going to have to use the Warranty.

Plus, Barrett will not know you use a suppressor unless you tell them... Its one of those 'Ma'ma' things... What she dont know wont hurt her! :-) If you gun breaks... clean it real well (especially the chamber and bolt to clear out the extra fowling caused by the suppressor) and reattach the factory break. (I just screws on and off)
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!
Old May 21, 2007, 07:52 AM   #20
Double Naught Spy

Uh, nope, probably not. They have already dealt with the problem of suppressors on their guns and are familiar with at least some of the types of damage that can occur.

Quote:
If you gun breaks... clean it real well (especially the chamber and bolt to clear out the extra fowling caused by the suppressor) and reattach the factory break. (I just screws on and off)
Most folks don't clean up damaged guns before sending them in to Barrett and Barrett doesn't want them cleaned because cleaning removes potentially vital information on the failure.

Yes, the brakes do screw on and off, but like so many things with firearms, there is a proper way to do it and improper ways.

Consider taking the Barrett Amorer's and Long Range Basics course. It is two days of working on rifles and one day of shooting at the Whittington in New Mexico. http://www.barrettrifles.com/trainin...ge-basics.aspx It is a very good class.

Or, you can just do the 2 day Armorer's course at Barrett...
http://www.barrettrifles.com/training_armorer.aspx