The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 4, 2005, 09:50 AM   #1
drdirk

Ruger Old Army - Holster

I have a Ruger Old Army and it is my favorite Cap and Ball revolver. Trying to find a holster that fits well for it, preferably a closed flap design. Since not much is listed as made for this gun I was wondering if any of you know what other Ruger revolvers are of the same size? I have both, a 5 and 7 inch model. I keep hearing that the old Army is based on another Ruger design but can't find it.

Thanks and happy shooting!
Old July 4, 2005, 03:17 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Bianchi made the one I use for my Old Army.
Old July 31, 2005, 10:06 AM   #3
drdirk

any other ideas?

Looked at the Bianchi. Anyone else have good luck with a holster. Any while I am dressing it up, what about grips? Any suggestion. I have the fake Ivory and it looks ok but I think I like wood.
Old July 31, 2005, 10:31 PM   #4
38splfan

Ruger and DGW

You can check with Ruger directly for wood grips. They sell some for their other handguns on their webpage.

If you don't find them there, you can check with Dixie Gun Works for both grips and holsters.

Dixie's leather goods have given me great service for all my cap 'n ball and Civil War reenacting goodies. They are not too terribly expensive, and worth the coin.

They offer several models just for the Old Army, and some general "large frame" leather that will fit, including flap holsters.

www.dixiegunworks.com
Old August 5, 2005, 07:40 PM   #5
drdirk

thanks

Just checked Dixie. I had ordered stuff from the in the past but did not think of checking for holsters. For now I am using my Uncle Mike nylon holster made for my "large frame" SW. It fits but not well. Think I will order a Dixie cowhide next. I have '58 Remington (that I am selling I think) and the Ruger Old Army. In my opinion as a shooter, the Old Army is far better. The Remington looks better. I have conversion cylinders for both and love them.
Happy shooting!
Old November 9, 2005, 02:04 PM   #6
sheriff-g

Try these links.

http://www.cowboyneeds.com/Holsters_for_Ruger_Old_Army-5.5.html
http://www.cowboyneeds.com/Holsters_for_Ruger_Old_Army-7.5.html

Grips for the Old Army....
Takes the same grip frame as the Vaquero, Blackhawk, Single Six. New and Old Models grip frames are different so order accordingly.
http://www.cowboyneeds.com/Grips.html